Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H

I had a previous post about this MoBo and G Skill RAM and it was a new build and not responsive after the build. It turned out to be...should I say...another Power Supply...that would make 3 Liberty Enermax power supplies that have ceased for me in the last month. They were 2 and 3 years old....anyway...

So after getting that resolved, I had good results and used the suggested settings found here on the GSKILL site, setting CPU NB to 1.2v, timing to 9-9-9-24 and changing the multiplier from 6.66(?) to 8 to take the speed to 1600.

However an interesting thing happened. After those settings in bios, things seemed fine until the next reboot. At which time I started getting fast scrolling lines of black boxes across the screen. There were so many at times it was difficult to see the screen and they seemed to be agrivated by mouse or cursor movement.

So I reset the bios to "Fail Safe Defaults" and the problem dissapeared. I let the box sit, turned on for a few hours and problem was still gone so I went back into the bios and redid the previous configuration. Things seemed fine. No immediate problem so I left the box sit for a few hours again, but when I came back to it, the problem had re-appeared.

So I went thru a gyration of swapping sticks back and forth with the current DRAM configuration, using one stick, the other stick, both sticks, etc. But the problem would never go away with the current bios configuration. So I ordered some new GSKILL DRAM.

Got it in a couple of days ago and installed it. I set the bios back to "Fail Safe Defaults" and booted. As expected with new DRAM, no problem, so I set the bios to the 1600 configuration and the new DRAM didn't have any problems. I let it sit for a few hours and still no problem. So I let it sit overnight, no problems still.

So I started swapping the old known problem sticks in with the new, never saw the problem again. Now I have the two old (first set of DRAM) back in the machine, with the 1600 configuration and no problems. It's been sitting there for about 6 hours now, still no problem. I'll leave it overnight, but what a weird problem.

Anyone have any feedback on possible issues? I can't imagine the new DRAM I stuck in there fixed anything....

Possibly a dirty contact on the old stick (s) or something in a slot that got pulled out at some point in time a glitch in the BIOS, intermittent PSU surge, could be a number of things

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Weird, but based on what you have said, it is difficult to determine what caused the problem. Seems like a video issue if the screen is acting up.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
      X