Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H with F3-12800CL7D-8GBRH

Hello!
    After I read so many positive things about the Ripjaws I just got my 8GB-kit F3-12800CL7D-8GBRH.
    My MB is a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H (rev. 2.1) with a 1090T.
    On auto-settings, the memory is running on 1333MHz with 9-9-9-24 on 1.5V, but now I'd like to set the 1600 with 7-8-7-24.
    I already tried the following setting:

-Memory Clock: manual, X8.00 (->1600)
    -System Voltage Control: manual
    -DRAM voltage: 1.605

DRAM Configuration:
    -DDR3 Timing Items: manual
    -DRAM-Timings: the first 4 values (with CL being the first) to 7, 8, 7 and 24
    -Command Timing: 2T

This setting produces a lot of errors in Memtest86 in the first minute (no errors on standard w. 1333 in 2h). So what is missing and is the rest of the setup okay so far?

My other question was: Doing all this does not count as overclocking, right? As you just manually set the memory to run properly with its rated specs. Therefore this wont have any negative effects on the lifetime etc. of the CPU, MB or memory?

Thanks in advance!

No, it's not overclocking, the mobo BIOS simply defaults to 1333. Could you post your other BIOS Settings, you have the timings right, the CR and the voltage.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Here are 2 pics:

I think an important option may also be the CPU NB VID Control, its default value (for some reason not shown as long as you don't change it) is 1.150V.
      Last edited by Shamino; 11-26-2010, 06:17 PM.

Comment

This memory should be installed in the two slots furthest away from the CPU.

Settings look OK, you can raise CPU NB VID Control to 1.20V to see if that helps.

These changes are considered overclocking by motherboard and CPU manufacturers, but it doesn't damage or effect your hardware negatively at all. (DDR3-1333 CL9 is the standard, so anything above this is considered "oveclocking") Everything we suggest/recommend is within hardware limitations. We will never suggest anything that may damage or destroy your hardware.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you!

Well I raised the CPU NB VID Control to 1.20 and now the memory runs perfectly with 7-8-7-24 on 1333.

Still as soon as I switch to 1600 I keep getting errors in Memtest, always at the very same point at 5% of the first pass. Also these errors look very identical (failing address etc) each time I restart Memtest, is this normal? Since I thought they would be more random when the system is not stable.

I already tried the CPU NB VID Control at 1.25, but that didn't help. Should or can I further increase it?
          Or should I additionally/ alternatively raise the DRAM Voltage to 1.65? I read that AMD-systems need a higher voltage for memory when you want to run it with the same specs that are intended for Intel-systems, is this still true?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Comment

Yes it is, may try raising the CPU/IMC (memory controller) voltage a bit

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

May not be related but refer:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7010

or more briefly can you

set the BIOS, "Integrated Peripherals" page, "Onboard USB 3.0 Controller" option to <DISABLED>

and probably rest other timings to a neutral setting while your at it.

You have the NEC USB 3.0 controller?

Sorry if it's a waste of time.

Please advise if it made any difference.

Perhaps refer to http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7025

Comment

Try raising the NB to 1.34-1.4

Tman

Comment

Hey Shamino,

What's happening?

Please tell me, did you try my suggestion:

setting your Onboard USB 3.0 Controller" bios option to <DISABLED>

More to the point check first that Win7 Memory diagnostic states "hardware error detected" first (within 1 min). And then, after changing the bios, to see if it says aok!

I see your 890GPA-UD3H has the NEC USB 3.0 feature. It'll only take 5 minutes to try.

I'm gonna be turfed for harassment soon!

Comment

Sorry, haven't been online for 2 days.

MikeH: Thanks for your suggestion, but since the system works perfectly on 1333 I don't think that it is related to the NEC USB 3.0-feature and it's just the memory that needs more juice. ^^

Tradesman: Can you please think of me being a total newbie and tell me fool proof what to do?
                    So when you say "raising NB to 1.34-1.4", do you mean the NB Voltage Control or the CPU NB VID Control?
                    And shall I still raise the "CPU/IMC (memory controller) voltage" as stated in your post before, and what are the exact names for these options? Is it "CPU Voltage Control"? (There is a screenshot of my BIOS-settings in my second post)
                    Or is it enough to raise the NB-thing?

Sorry, just want to be sure that I don't do anything stupid.

Comment

NB voltage Control 1.4 CPU NB VID Control 1.2 CPU Voltage Control + .05

Tman

Comment

I used the settings you suggested but it didn't help, I always get the errors at the very same point during Memtest, I can even count the minutes and seconds until it occurs: at 5% of the first pass, as soon as it tests the area 8192M-8960M.
                        So since this is so predictable and always the same I have to ask again: Are you sure that this is not related to a problem with my memory modules and would be the very same with another set (replacement)?

Because when my system was unstable before because of the low CPU NB VID I got random errors during the first seconds, but now it is only this specific area while the rest seems to work perfectly.

Sorry for the inconvenience..
                        Last edited by Shamino; 12-07-2010, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Feel free to send them in for RMA and try a new kit.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                          X