Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with F3-14400CL7D-4GBFLS and MSI 890FXA-GD70

Hi

I've looked through the forums and it doesn't appear that anyone has had this problem...

I've just RMAed some OCZ memory and replaced it with some g.skill. I inserted one stick (into slot 4) and the board started fine. I set the values in the bios and shut down.

I then put the other stick into slot 3 and now the PC won't start. The onboard diagnostics show the board is stuck at memory - "D1" is the reading. I have tried the memory in all four slots and the only ones that work are 2 & 4! The board assumed it had failed to due overclocking and has reduced its speed down to factory with jedec spec memory timings. The slots 1 & 3 still fail at this reduced speed. The OCZ memory did not fail in slots 1 and 3 (just wasn't reliable at rated speed).

Neither of the G.skill sticks appear to work in either slot 1 or slot 3, so I am unable to use dual channel mode.

I have tried raising the northbridge voltage by 0.1v but that didn't help either!

Anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks

Dan
    Last edited by dango; 09-13-2010, 12:28 AM. Reason: added processor

What's the BIOS version that your board has? I see on MSI website that BIOS 1.3 improved memory compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcmtl View Post
      What's the BIOS version that your board has? I see on MSI website that BIOS 1.3 improved memory compatibility.
      Mine's 1.6

Comment

I've got some different DDR3 RAM in another PC - I'll try them when I get home to see if they work in slots 1 & 3.

Comment

Perfect, that would help determine whether the motherboard is defective. That's my bet. =)

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

The other ram didn't work either so i cleared the cmos. Now the g.skill ram works in all four slots at the rated speed. However, the board will not start if i change the timings from 'auto'. Do you think it's a power issue? Do tightly timed ram modules consume more power? I have a feeling that the processor is drawing a huge amount of power since a couple of times the pc has shutdown whilst running prime95 (not rebooting, but switched off!) The power supply is more than adequate and the most i've seen it draw is 550w at the plug.

Comment

G.Skill RAM now works at 8-8-8-24 @ 1800MHz. If I change any of the 8s to a 7, the PC won't boot.

Interestingly the XMS section of the BIOS and in CPU-Z shows the maximum memory speed is only 1600!!

Comment

i have the same problem look http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=5997

try to change DCT Unganged

Comment

dango,

Yes, it sounds like it is lacking voltage. Lower timing memory will surely require more voltage.

Where do you see DDR3-1600 max? Post a screen shot.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

try the 1.3 bios or beta 1.31 or 1.32.

with 1.651 and 7.8.7.24 works fine at 900Mhz

Comment

Working...
                    X