i7 and Dual Channel DDR3 Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i7 and Dual Channel DDR3 Memory

So I have an i7-920 with this RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231193

I was wondering if it would be alright to use three of those modules since they're dual channel, vs using them in pairs. I have the opportunity to get one, and I've read that it's better to use RAM in threes with the i7 processors.

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question!
    Last edited by appleaj; 08-31-2010, 12:10 PM. Reason: Typo

You can, but it is not guaranteed.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

On the same note, would it be alright to use two sets of these (4 - 2GB modules)?

Because I already have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231193
      and I'd like to buy another set (giving me 8GB).

Thanks

Comment

Up front, again, there is no guarantee, but you should be able to get them to work together. Manufacturers make the sets in a variety of sizes in large part as they are tested to work together, it's fairly common with anybodies DRAM to buy sticks at separate times and have some problems with them working together due to being made in different lots, using different lots of PCBs, Ics, etc.

I've worked w/ the sticks you have and want and haven't ever had any real problems...but it can happen.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks! I appreciate the fast responses.

Comment

No problem, am working on a couple of systems and generally keep one up in my shop to check here at GSkill and a couple other hardware vendors I use

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X