No announcement yet.

Get full potential of memory with F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD + GA-X58A-UD3R + i7-960

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get full potential of memory with F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD + GA-X58A-UD3R + i7-960

I'm pretty new to the complexities diuscussed in this forum so I'm reaching out to make sure I dont screw stuff up off the bat.

I'm not interested in overclocking my CPU (yet, though the more I read on the subject, the more interesting it becomes), I just want to get my memory up to the speed that it should be (near 2000 Mhz) instead of the 1066Mhz it's currently at.

I've read through all the posts that talk about F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD, there are some close setups, but none of them have the exact same specs as I have, so I figured I would get the actual ones needed. From what i've read so far it's all depended on CPU speeds so I want to make sure I have the right settings. Can you please let me know all the settigns to get the memory close to 2000Mhz without impacting the CPU

Specs are:
    Mobo: GA-X58A-UD3R
    CPU: i7-960
    Memory: 6GB F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD

Thanks.

Should look something like this:

In MIT (MB Intelligent Tweaker):

CPU Clock Ratio - 17x for 2.8GHz
    QPI Link Speed - AUTO
    Base Clock Control - Enabled
    BCLK Frequency - 167
    Performance Enhance - Standard
    Extreme Memory Profile - Disabled
    System Memory Multiplier - 12

Uncore & QPI Features
    Uncore Frequency - 4008

DRAM Timing Selectable - Manual

CAS Latency Time - 9
    tRCD - 9
    tRP - 9
    tRAS - 24

Enter these for the other three as well.

Channel A Timing Settings

Advanced Timings
    Command Rate - 2

Advanced Voltage Control
    Load-Line Calibration - Disabled
    CPU Vcore - 1.32V
    QPI/VTT Voltage - 1.60V (Test for lowest stable value, it is dependent on your CPU)

DRAM Voltage - 1.640V
    Rest to AUTO

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks. The settings you gave me didn't quite work so I fiddled about with the QPI/VTT Voltage and 1.475 seems to work. The northbridge Overvoltage light on the motherboard is flashing red. Is that something I should be worried about?
      Last edited by nik; 08-13-2010, 04:45 AM.

Comment

I spoke too soon. Windows crapped out not long after I wrote the last comment and now I can't get it stable at that QPI/VTT Voltage or 5 steps either side. Any ideas?

Comment

Post up pictures of your best settings in BIOS and I can see if anything is set incorrectly.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks. Here are the pics.

The only difference I see is: Load-Line Calibration - Disabled, I didn't have that option. Only Standard, Level1, Level2

Thanks for your help

Comment

DRAM Timing Selectable - Manual

The AUTO timings are incorrect. tWR should be 12 or 14. tRFC should be 88+. This would surely cause the problem you are having.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks. That seems to be working a lot better. There seems to be a huge difference in power draw. I checked in Dynamic Energy Saver and before the bios settings, it draws around 11-13 watts. With these new settings, it's more like 50. Anything I can do about that or is that the price I pay for speeding up the memory?

Comment

Yes, that is probably when you were operating at DDR3-1333. DDR3-2000 is another world. =)

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

BEST Performace for these F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD kit

Nice help from Gskill, nice forum and support as well...
                    I have the same sytem of Nic F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD + GA-X58A-UD3R(rev1.0) (bios F5) + i7-930 (crossair 750w)
                    But with a i7-930.
                    My system is not stable with these bios config you post for ddr3 - 2000mhz
                    when I'm playing some games or on everest 5 system cache and memory stress I got blue screen and reboot. Afther that my system recognize only 4GB instead of 6GB memory intalled. But with ddr3 1864mhz and less BCLK Frequency like 155 and rasing a little bit the ratio I got a bit more than 3ghz CPU with stable system of 10hours of system memory and cache stress from everest... I want more
                    I just got stock cooler. Really dont need much CPU overclock but I want to get all speed this memory kit can get... What can I do?
                    Thank you.

Comment

The main hurdle is finding the precise QPI/VTT Voltage. The settings in the BIOS Config Guide are correct, except this QPI/VTT Voltage is different from CPU to CPU, that's why the voltage we listed may not be for your CPU.

i7 920 and i7 930 will be much different. But even 930 and 930, or 920 and 920 can be much different as well, that's why everyone must test for the lowest stable value for DDR3-2000.

The motherboard can supply enough for DDR3-1600, but DDR3-2000 needs a precise manual setting. Find this value, and your computer will be stable.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

I have the exact same set-up as OP however i have 2 packs of DDR3 ram (both the same) for a total of 12gigs. I can't find any stable settings after 2 days of trying. How does this seccond pack of ram affect my bios settings? Note i'm not trying to overclock or anything i just want the 12 gigs to be STABLE i can't even get that happening.

On a side note is there a decent guide as to what all those ram settings in the bios mean that you could point me too? i dislike following blindly

Comment

With a second kit, you may need to raise the same QPI/VTT Voltage (memory controller) if it is overloaded and causing instability. But another common issue is the two kits being incompatible. Triple channel is very selective with this, which is why we highly recommend purchasing full kits, not multiple to avoid such problems.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hi,

Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead. I have this exact configuration, only it is 3x2 GB kit instead of one single 6GB RAM module. Two questions

1) I believe that small difference in config should not make a difference in using the settings mentioned, other than I need to adjust the values for each DIMM. Am I right?

2) I wonder why the optimized value for the processor is multiplier at 17x and BCLK at 167? This results in a speed of 2,839 Mhz, which is way lower than the theoretical 3,200 Mhz that this processor should run at. I noticed on Intel's page (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37151) under "Memory Types", it lists 800 and 1066 speeds only, when the memory in question is 2000. Does this have to do with this choice of parameters?

Thank you so much in advance for this reply.
                            Regards

Comment

May need to raise QPI/VTT a bit and possibly DRAM voltage +.04

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X