• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 ECO F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO Cold Boot issue

System:

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular
    Intel Core i5 750
    Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 Motherboard rev 1.0 (Bios F12)
    G.Skill ECO F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO (2x2GB) DDR3
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5850 1GB
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ST3500418AS

Problem:

Memory failures on cold boot. Power on PC, enter memtest and have memory failures (or BSOD going into Windows), select shut down. Power on PC again, enter memtest and no more memory failures or BSODs.

NOTE: I believe I can reproduce by shutting down, disconnecting power and then pressing the power button to discharge any power. Alternatively, disconnecting power and waiting over night.

Memory and Bios configurations:

With G.Skill memory I set the bios to use the Extreme Memory Profile from the RAM itself, everything else set to Auto and RAM Performance Enhance set to standard. Voltage set to 1.4 as bios only goes 1.3->1.4 and also tried as Auto. With 4GB in slot 1 and 3 the memory BSODs on cold boot as mentioned in the problem. Individually the first stick tests fine but the second stick fails on cold boot (memtest on test #5,6,7,8). Once shut down and rebooted the RAM functions perfectly. This is actually the second set I have of G.Skill as the first did the same thing so I RMA'd them. One stick worked and the other failed memtest from test #1 up on cold boot.

I also have some 'OCZ PC3-12800 Platinum 2x2GB OCZ3P1600LV4GK DDR3', no Extreme Memory Profile was available for the OCZ memory so manually running at 1333Mhz (BCLK Control Disabled, System Memory Multiplier set to 10), CL 9-9-9-24 (DRAM timing set to expert), Memory voltage set to 1.66v and RAM Performance Enhance set to standard. With 4GB in slot 1 and 3 the memory fails on cold boot as mentioned in the problem. Individually both sticks test fine on cold boot (2 passes of memtest each). I have only just received these so I have not gone into windows yet with a single stick to see if the settings are stable, and have only booted up a few times with them.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. I've never had a problem with memory before as its always been pretty much plug and play, although this is my first Intel, always went AMD before.

I did try a few settings from the forum but not sure what I have and haven't done anymore so thought starting a new thread would be a good idea. I will try any suggestions as they appear that way I know where I am.

If you need anymore information please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Send them in for new replacements and the new set should work better.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

So you think it is the RAM and not the setup? Even though this is my second set? And the OCZ pair do pretty much the same thing?

Thanks again

Comment

If all 3 sets do the same thing, then it may be the motherboard.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Just a quick update for any interested readers with the same issue to say I finally got the PC working perfectly. It was the RAM... went through a few more sets from OCZ and finally a pair went through memtest with no issues... no settings were changed.

I'm sure if I exchanged the G.Skill pair I would have finally got it working.

It seems Motherboards are really picky now, or maybe high performance RAM is harder to produce.

Anway all good now.

Comment

Glad to hear it, and it's a little of both, the mobos (BIOSs) are pickier about DRAM and it's settings and the faster you go, the more precise everything has to be

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X