Very disappointed with G-Skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very disappointed with G-Skill

I ordered this ram G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ Because I had a bad stick.I waited 2 weeks for the replacement.I set the timings on the ram,but there are alot more settings after the 9-9-9-24.. in the bios for my board.I set multiplier so it reads 1600MHz,but just ended putting it back to default.I'm not sure if I have it set correct.Plus the fact I dont even think I have the correct ram that I purchased.Its one thing to get bad ram,but now this..........

SiSoftware Sandra information- It says my ram is F3-12800CL9D-2GBNQ 2GB Dimm DDR3 PC3-12800UDDR31600 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)

cpuz information- It says F3-12800CL9D-2GBNQ Module size 2048 MB PC310700(667MHz)

The sticker on the box i purchased, and the ram sticker reads F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1600 PC3-1800 2x2048 CL9-9-9-24 1.5V

I don't understand this at all.First I get bad ram,now it seems they sent cheaper ram with the right sticker.

Any help is greatly appreciated.I just want to play games.Definitely not these type of games

Specs...

Antec 900

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGMBOX - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 .

EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail
    AMD Gift - Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Coupon - Retail

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support - Retail

Rosewill RC-401-EX 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Gigabit Low Profile Network Card - Retail

(2) Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

(1) Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Retail
    Last edited by toostrike; 04-23-2010, 08:13 PM.

Not sure what you're looking for here... everything says the sticks are 1600/NQs, which is what you said you purchased...the only thing different from the norm for the sticks is the CPUZ info (which is actually correct) that indicates the speed at 1333 (667) which would be what you're at if you have the defaults in the BIOS.

To run 1600 you'll have to manually load the base timings, set the DRAM Voltage, Command Rate to 2N and will want to check the tRFC which should be 110 or 127 based on available options. From there for stability you may have to adjust voltages on the MCH, CPU and HT

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Not sure what you're looking for here... everything says the sticks are 1600/NQs, which is what you said you purchased...the only thing different from the norm for the sticks is the CPUZ info (which is actually correct) that indicates the speed at 1333 (667) which would be what you're at if you have the defaults in the BIOS.

To run 1600 you'll have to manually load the base timings, set the DRAM Voltage, Command Rate to 2N and will want to check the t RFC which should be 110 or 127 based on available options. From there for stability you may have to adjust voltages on the MCH, CPU and HT
      My ram on the box and sticker read F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ vs system info which read F3-12800CL9D-2GBNQ .Correct me if I'm wrong,but those part numbers do not match. I ordered through NewEgg.,and that part number comes up under different ram.The first ram I ordered was listed as F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ when I looked in cpuz it stated that it was F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ. The replacement ram should have that same part number I ordered the first time,but it reads F3-12800CL9D-2GBNQ.I agree though the specs seem the same.

What is the difference?

In your second paragraph there is still alot unsaid.It sounds like alot of trial and error,and need more help then adjust this or that. I appreciate your help,but I'm still confused here.

Do you mean Command Rate 2T because I think that what I saw in the bios.

From there for stability you may have to adjust voltages on the MCH, CPU and HT. Adjust to what? That leaves alot unsaid.

I have alot of settings in t RFC.So not sure what to put 110 or 127?

Here is a statement from the G-skill in numerous reviews for people with problems.I guess alot is unsaid here too.

l DDR3 motherboards is DDR3-1333. Anything above this must be manually configured in BIOS or the XMP/EPP Profile must be enabled. After installing the memory, please make sure DRAM Frequency is set to DDR3-1600, DRAM Timings tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24 - Command Rate 2, DRAM Voltage 1.50V. Once that is complete, everything should run just fine.

I just want to understand.Sounds simple enough in that statment,but my bios has alot more options than those few settings under ram configuration.
      Last edited by toostrike; 04-23-2010, 09:33 PM.

Comment

The package is 4GBNQ (4 Gigabytes, model NQ), each individual stick is 2GBNQ (2 Gigabytes model NQ), different software packages (and even versions) will identify sticks either individually (1,2,4GB) or by package (generall 2,4,6,8, 12, 16 GB)

Agreed on the trial and error, AMD CPUs are not well known for QC on the MC (memory controller) and jump around alot just to get them to market - on different models (and sometimes within the same model) you have AMD CPUs that won't run over 1066, can only run 1 stick per channel of 1066 or higher, won't run over 1333, etc, etc.........

Command Rate or Command Timing is a common setting, generally Intel leans towards the 'T' designators (most common) and AMD uses the 'N' designators, although depending on manufacturer and BIOS Version it can be either 'N' or 'T'

tRFC can indeed have numerous possible settings, you'll want to apply the settings to the banks you have the the sticks in and the general (if your BIOS has one) tRFC setting. A general rule is two sticks 110, 127, 4 sticks 195 or higher.

What you quote is the general rule of thumb and sometimes applicable, many factors can affect the remaining settings, i.e. if running at stock, number of cores enabled, OCing, number of drives, number of GPUs, BIOS version, et, etc.

The problem here in large part is based on the fact that the RAM you have (1600) is indeed rated for the mobo (albeit as an OC speed, the standard for the board is either 1333 (higher end AMD CPU such as yours) or 1066 (lower end AMD CPU (that is capable of 1066)), which means to run at 1600 you generally will have to OC the CPU/system (and again that will be affected by the BIOS version)

Too many people look at basic specs on a mobo and see that the board supports, say DDR3 1666, as does your mobo, but the manufacturers don't let people know how they came up with the figures, they may have been able to run at 1666 with a 955 or 965 at stock speeds or it may have been done, say only w/ a 965 OCed to 3.6 or higher clock rate, as as you may know, when OCing you often have to get into the more complex BIOS settings to get things to run stable i.e. advanced memory timings, voltages (CPU, CPU/MCH, HT, SB, NB, DRAM, etc)

Hope this helps, if not, if you could post your BIOS version and settings, it would help GSkill or me to try and more fully troubleshoot the problems you may be encountering

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Alot of of good information here.Thank-you.This is my first build so please keep that in mind.Sorry sound so mad in my post.I apologize.

Motherboard-GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Bios F-3

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGMBOX - Retail (running at stock speed.I game alot,but stock speed seem to run all my games fine so far.I have not tested crisis yet)

First,a little backround information.As I mentioned I had a bad stick of memory the first time around.I used memtest,testing individual sticks,one at a time in different slots.I used the good stick in slots 1 and 2 to make sure the motherboard was not the issue.I received the replacement ram ,and ran 1 stick for 3 passes with no errors.I put the second stick in for 3 more passes using both sticks with no errors.I should tested the second stick by itself,but I got lazy.

In my bios I set DRAM configuration to manual.I have 3 columns in the bios under this configuration

Manual,Speed,and Auto.I listed 3 numbers under each setting,which refers to manual,spd,and auto

Cas Latency
          Ras to Cas R/W delay 9T-9T-11T

Row Precharge Time 9T-9T-11T

Min Ras Active time 24T-24T-29T

1T/2T command delay 2T,-,-

TwTf command delay 6T-5T-6T

TrFco For Dimm 1 110ns-110ns-110ns (under this option I have 90,110,160,300,350)

TrFco For Dimm 2 90ns

Write Recovery Time 10T-10T-12T

Precharge Time 6T-5T-6T

Row Cylce Time 40T-33T-40T

Ras to Ras Delay 5T-4T-5T

I manually set the 9-9-9-24 2T settings.I also bumped down the write recovery time,set multiplier so it reads 1600MHz,and under voltage control adjusted northbridge voltage.Bumped it up .1V.It now reads 1.4 volts in bios.After I adjusted some of these settings I ran memtest with both sticks together for 7 passes with no errors.

I did NOT manually adjust these settings.Trfo for Dimm 2,Precharge Time,Row cycle Time,and Ras to Ras Delay.I was not sure what to do here.
          TrFco For Dimm 2 90ns ? Should I set this to 110ns.It looks like I should,but then again,I'm not sure,so I let it alone.I am running 800MHz on each stick,so I know for sure its running at 1600Mhz regardless of the model number issue.

I forgot to add The Dram Voltage is 1.6
          Last edited by toostrike; 04-24-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Depending on what you are looking at that shows 800, you probably are running 1600 as many of the options show the data rate as opposed to the DUAL data rate. Try dropping CPUz, or Speccy from the internet and running it if the show 800 that means you are running at spec potential of 1600.

Tman

Comment

I downloaded Speccy,and under ram it says,"4.0GB Dual Channel @803.5 MHz".Does that give me the 1600MHz since it says dual.If that is the case,and I'm getting the proper speed,great.I will run memtest again for stability.What about my other settings?

I did NOT manually adjust these settings.Trfo for Dimm 2,Precharge Time,Row cycle Time,and Ras to Ras Delay.I was not sure what to do here.
              TrFco For Dimm 2 90ns ? Should I set this to 110ns.It looks like I should,but then again,I'm not sure,so I let it alone.I am running 800MHz on each stick,so I know for sure its running at 1600Mhz regardless of the model number issue.

Nice interface.I like this better than cpuz.
              Last edited by toostrike; 04-24-2010, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Yeah Speccy a nice little program, and it's actually showing you as running 1607, so you should be good to go. Any new problems pop up, let us know.

Tman

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by toostrike View Post
                  TrFco For Dimm 2 90ns ? Should I set this to 110ns.It looks like I should,but then again,I'm not sure,so I let it alone.

Still wondering about these settings.

Comment

Responded to your email. tRFCs can be 160ns, everything else is fine on AUTO.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                    X