Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would the PI F3-12800CL7T-6GBP work best for my ASUS P6T SE mobo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would the PI F3-12800CL7T-6GBP work best for my ASUS P6T SE mobo?

Hi there.

I was very surprised to see that the G.SKILL series was running at a lower latency (CAS7) and lower voltage (1.5V) as compared to the Corsairs (CAS8 & 1.65V). My friends told me with the lower voltage, the CPU cores would run a little bit cooler as well.

The RAM, however, since it CAN run at higher speeds on a lower voltage, would it also run at DDR3-1066 or DDR3-1333 speeds at even lower voltages (< 1.5V?)?

Also, why is there a difference between RAM voltages and latency for the different G.SKILL RAM series and Corsair series? Is this necessarily a good thing or bad thing? Would having a lower voltage mean less stability during full loads or just that the product is more superior in design?

I have used G.SKILL only once on a branded Dell motherboard a few years ago. The RAM was working effortlessly and still works to this date. Thus, I wish to use G.SKILL again for my current setup.

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by Kabigon; 02-27-2011, 05:48 PM.

The PI's would work great. Great performance memory for the price.

Yes, you can run lower frequencies and timings.

Memory that requires a lower voltage simply means it is more efficient. Imagine two light bulbs that produce the same exact brightness. One only consumes 5W, the other needs 10W to produce the same light, which do you want? Less power, better performance, superior in design spec.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply! That makes sense. The analogy is perfect. However, I just have some few more questions (pardon my curiosity!)...

1) The model located on NewEgg, G.SKILL PI F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI, is that the same as the G.SKILL PI F3-12800CL7T-6GBP?

2) Does the PI series support the XMP profiles? Can I just enable it and be ready to go, or would I have to manually set the settings in my mobo?

3) Also, out of those 3 series, what is the difference between the three? I noticed the PI was the lowest latency/voltage of them all. Are there any performance differences between the PI versus the Ripjaws? I noticed the PI was slightly more expensive, but money would not be an issue here.
      Last edited by Kabigon; 04-22-2010, 11:33 AM.

Comment

1. Yes, it should be 6GBPI not 6GBP

2. You can enable the XMP Profile, but you may need to manually set QPI/DRAM Voltage since XMP will not do this for you. Some systems will be able to automatically supply enough voltage, but some will not. Either way, it should be set rather than on AUTO.

3. The RipJaws are just slightly lower in spec, but they would work great as well. The CL8 for example is one notch lower, so it would be good for normal people that do not need max performance. The PI you are looking at is simply our 247 gamers kit. Really good performance spec, and as you already know, only 1.50V.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks again for the awesome information.

Just a few more questions again....

1) What are the XMP profiles exactly? Are the compatible with only certain vendors of RAM or do they work for most of them? Why, in this case, would XMP not be so good and instead the RAM have to be manually set? Is that true for all sorts and types of RAM?

2) After reviewing the GSKILL product set, I also noticed there was another RAM that was a little higher! It was the DDR3-2000 Trident F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD. Someone had told me that the Trident series is the best out of the 3... is this true? (Ripjaws vs. PI vs. Trident) Although its reviews are not as good as the PI I mentioned, would this RAM be even better for my situation? It looks like this RAM is not listed on the GSKILL Ram Configurator to be compatible with my mobo, but it should still work. But would they run at DDR3-1600 at even lower voltages than the 1.5V PI? I'm mostly interested in reducing as much heat from the voltage as possible. Since I'm going to be using stock everything on the CPU (stock HSF, stock speeds mostly), the extra few degrees in the CPU cores would make a difference for me. Timings wouldn't matter in this case. If not, are the PI CAS7 still the best option for me?

3) Since I have already decided on the PI series and comparing the Trident series, I want to know if I do not use a RAM set at its full potential...say, I just want to go 1333 speeds (on either of the higher rated RAM). Would the timing and voltage be different? Would it lower by a substantial amount? Would XMP profiles work at 1333 or would manual settings be the best to go? I'm new to the manual settings, but is there a chance I could "damage" the RAM if I do not put the correct type of settings in the BIOS? I was afraid of messing around with something I have no knowledge about and damaging a nice piece of hardware by my own mistake.

Sorry for the lengthy and possibly confusing questions. Thank you very much again for the helpful replies!
          Last edited by Kabigon; 04-23-2010, 02:28 PM.

Comment

XMP is basically a way for the motherboard to automatically match speed and timings of the DRAM to the CPUs settings. Problem is different mobo manufacturers implement it in different ways and at times a single manufacture may even implement it differently between BIOS versions making it sort of an 'inexact science', if you will.

Tridents use slightly higher quality ICs, thus slightly higher price, voltages may vary depending on overall configuration, the heat difference from the voltage would be minimal.

Yes you can run at slower speeds with the same settings, though at the slower speed, say 1333 as you mention, you should be able to tighten the timings and increase the actual performance of the sticks at the slower speed i.e. if the sticks are rated at 7-8-7-24 fro 1600, at 1333 you could possibly tighten them to 6-6-6-18 or so, and with the lower latency, see a performance increase.

Hope this helps

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ah, so it seems that would make much sense. Thank you for the clarification!

In comparison versus the two models:

PI F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
              Trident F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD
              (which oddly doesn't list the Asus P6T SE on its qualified motherboard list...)

If they were BOTH to run at DDR3-1600 speeds, what would their respective timings and voltage be? The specs for the PI would obviously be 7-8-7-24 @ 1.5V. What would it be for the Tridents? What I am trying to narrow down is which RAM produces the least amount of heat at certain speeds. I'm just trying to conserve as much degrees of temperature difference as possible in the CPU since I'm not using an aftermarket cooler. Would it be the PI or Tridents that have the lowest voltage? What if I go EVEN lower speeds (i.e., DDR3-1333?) You say that the Tridents have the highest quality ICs...does that mean that it is "the best" in terms of RAM?

And last question...I am going to start building my computer next week. What BIOS voltage/timing settings should I set with the PI F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI for my ASUS P6T mobo? It seems per recommendations that manual is the way to go as XMP profiles can set it wrong. I want to make sure I get the exact precise settings down so I don't damage or mess anything up accidentally!

Thanks again.
              Last edited by Kabigon; 04-25-2010, 03:26 AM.

Comment

If heat is of concern, you can go with the 1.35V ECO Series, but you will need to purchase the 8GB kit.

F3-12800CL7Q-8GBECO

This will keep CPU temps down as DIMM voltage is much lower.

Tridents use very good IC chips, best at DDR3-2000, but they are not the absolute best since we already have DDR3-2500.

We can sure help you set everything up as soon as you have the hardware in hand.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                  If heat is of concern, you can go with the 1.35V ECO Series, but you will need to purchase the 8GB kit.

F3-12800CL7Q-8GBECO

This will keep CPU temps down as DIMM voltage is much lower.

Tridents use very good IC chips, best at DDR3-2000, but they are not the absolute best since we already have DDR3-2500.

We can sure help you set everything up as soon as you have the hardware in hand.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH
                  Thanks for getting back to me again.

I see that the ECO chips have the lowest vDIMM. However, I wanted to stay with a triple channel KIT to utilize my i7 processor (i.e., 6GB and 12GB).

The previous question I was referring to the Trident DDR3-2000 (because that the closest I could find) versus PI DDR3-1600 in terms of going at its 1600 speed.

If these sticks both to run at 1600 speeds, what would their respective timings and voltage be? The specs for the PI would definitely be 7-8-7-24 @ 1.5V as stated...but what would it be for the Tridents?

What I was trying to distinguish was which of the two RAM produces the least amount of heat at certain speeds. Would it be the PI or Tridents that have the lowest vDIMM? What if I go even lower speeds (i.e., DDR3-1333, etc)?

Oh, and I'm still waiting for my graphics card to come on Thursday. That is when I will build everything. I wanted to get the BIOS timings/settings beforehand so I don't mess up. Could you also give me those settings as well?

Thank you again.

Comment

As long as you have a minimum of three modules, they will operate in triple channel.

This is not guaranteed, but the lowest I have gotten the Tridents are 6-7-6-18, so as you can see they are better. This answer your next question, since it is a better chip, it will require less VDIMM as well for the same frequency/timings. Lower speeds can require lower voltages, but I believe the motherboard is capped at 1.50V minimum I believe, which actually defeats the purpose of 1.35V low voltage modules.

Look in DDR3 BIOS Configurations Guides, there is a guide available, but let me know which package you decide on and I can send you the specific settings.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ah, I see. No problem.

I had already decided on the PI CAS7 1.5V series awhile ago. The package is already lying here in my room.

I was just wanted to see if it was the best available for my system and hardware. From your reply, it sounds even if I had went with the ECO or Trident series, there would be no true beneficial gain as they cap at 1.5V anyhow.

The Trident's timing is not too significant for what I want, so it is okay. And for some odd reason, my motherboard is not on the qualified list for the Tridents, only the PI. I guess it could just mean that the Trident may be less compatible with my system. Nevertheless, I felt I made a good justified choice.

So, please send me the BIOS settings for my ASUS P6T SE motherboard and the G.SKILL PI F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI RAM.

Thank you very much for your excellent support again. I will let you know if I encounter any problems with this setup.

Comment

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
                        CPU Ratio Setting - 21
                        Intel SpeedStep Tech - Disabled
                        BCLK Frequency - 133
                        DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1600
                        UCLK Frequency - AUTO
                        QPI Link Data Rate - AUTO

DRAM Timing Control
                        CAS Latency - 7
                        tRCD - 8
                        tRP - 7
                        tRAS - 24
                        Command Rate - 2N

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.50V

Let me know how that goes. You can also enable the XMP Profile under AI Overclock Tuner to automatically set all this for you.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Do you recommend I first try to enable the XMP profile first, and see if it matches the settings you described? If not, THEN proceed to do the manual settings in those fashion...?

Or should I go straight to just inputting them manually...
                          Last edited by Kabigon; 04-28-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

XMP will match, so either way works. =)

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Here's an update, GSKILL TECH.

I've put the system together, but there's a few quirks that I find very strange.

1) The first is that my system runs at DDR3-1066 without XMP profiles on (just auto mode), which is OKAY. The CPU core temps are fine, and I believe they are still at 1.5V. However, when I set XMP profile on, I notice the core temps jump up a tiny bit (maybe by 3-4 degrees). Is this normal? I thought 1066 & 1600 BOTH run at 1.5V, therefore it shouldn't have increased any heat at all. What could be wrong? I am using the latest Core Temp program running on Windows 7 64-bit. All drivers are installed, and so is the latest BIOS for my mobo.

2) The other issue is that with or without XMP profiles, the CPU-Z program will show my RAM running at 667 MHz, which isn't DDR3-1066 OR DDR3-1600. Is this program just inaccurate? My BIOS will say it's DDR3-1600 when XMP is enabled, but CPU-Z doesn't show it as on. So whether it is XMP off (auto mode - DDR3-1066 from BIOS) or XMP on (auto mode set to XMP profile - DDR3-1600 from BIOS), this CPU-Z program seems to have problem detecting the correct memory speed. Or maybe I am running at those speeds, but CPU-Z is just inaccurate? I am using the latest version as well.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X