Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSI 790FX-GD70 + 2x F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (8GB)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Prime95, small FFT, no errors.
    But when I choose "Blend" or custom and adds more memory to be tested, one or more cores stops "working" in prime with a fatal error Hardware related apparently in less than an hour.

Only happens when more than 2 dimms are installed (1 kit of 4GBNQ). When I try with 3 dimms or 4, prime has a fatal errors in blend or custom. (And PC ends up crashing with HTSFE when launching a game or some other software that needs a lot of memory)

When only 1 kit of 4GBNQ is installed, there's no error. 4GB of RAM can be enough for some people, but to me it's not enough sadly.
    I tried both kit in pretty much every memory slots, they both work just fine when used by themselves, when used together, no good.

I'll try to change some more settings in the bios, like raising NB voltage a bit more, NB frequency, HT frenquency (will that help?), trying to find a stable setting.

I will also see if I can get a different PSU from a friend or family member for the week-end for testing.
    Last edited by TetraSky; 06-03-2010, 06:38 PM.

Comment

What do you have CPU-NB Voltage set to? HT Voltage? NB Frequency?

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

I first tried with everything set to Auto, except the ram timing, 1333 8-8-8-24 (tried 9-9-9-24 1600, didn't work well).
        I then started raising everything a little, 2200, 2400 and now 2600 NB frequency.
        Same with HT frequency, 2200 to 2400 right now.

CPU-NB voltage, went from 1.0 to 1.2 from the get go (as recommended here) it's set on 1.270 right now.

DRAM voltage, I had left it at 1.5, but raised it a 1.65 for now.

NB voltage, had set it to 1.3, increased it to 1.370 for now.

HT link voltage, same as NB voltage.

I'm trying little by little, can't say it's the best way, but it's the only one I know, even though I know next to nothing about overclocking.

One hour of testing Blend in Prime95, no error so far. But I'm only testing 3 Dimms right now, forgot to place in the fourth one, will do if it crash in less than 5 hours... be back on that.
        Edit: No, that didn't work out, Fatal error after an hour and a half.

Edit2: You can close this topic, I got rid of my problem. For good. Sorry for wasting your time, I just got tired of it all and got rid of the computer.
        Last edited by TetraSky; 06-06-2010, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X