Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSI 790FX-GD70 + 2x F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (8GB)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright I'll try it out.

Thank you for your help, time and patience.

Edit: Didn't work out well.

Thankyou for contacting AMD.

The only processors that AMD can issue directly to end-users are replacements for warrantied processors, and in that case, it is replaced with an identical processor, right down to the revision.

Exchanging different processors is something that you would have to deal with through the retailer that you purchased your processer through.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

Mike

AMD Global Customer Care.
    I will try contacting the retailer where I bought the processor, if no good well.... I guess I will just have to live with the crashes or back down to 4GB of ram(That should work right?) until my next computer upgrade in like 5 years.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by TetraSky; 04-20-2010, 08:07 AM.

Comment

TetraSky,

You have to let them know that your CPU will not operate dual channel. They will simply replace the CPU, but I doubt they have old inventory in stock to give you. Either way, I would have them replace it especially if you're getting a HTFSE.

Try 4GB at DDR3-1333, 8-8-8-24, 1.50V, this should work for sure. You can also try 8GB at DDR3-1066 8-8-8-24 1.50V and that should not have any issues. Weak CPUs can operate this, so if you can't, surely your CPU is bad.

You should not have to live with ANY crashes. It is not an option. Not on my watch! =P

nibs,

The C3's have completed revamped memory controllers, so it is quite a difference. Create your own thread, post up hardware info, settings, and such and we can help you troubleshoot the problem. Your specific case may be different than TetraSky.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH
      Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 04-20-2010, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I've updated to the new bios that came out like, yesterday.
        Using the "DDR3-1066 8-8-8-24 1.50V" setting, with HT and NB at 1.4 and CPU NB at 1.2, rest at Auto.

Before the bios update, I had also tried it, and it crashed still, but right now, over 12 hours with no issues at all.

I will cross my fingers and hope this did the trick. If it still doesn't work, I will RMA the CPU, because that ain't normal.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          Try the following settings:

Cell Menu
          Adjust CPU NB Ratio - x11 2200MHz
          FSB/DRAM Ratio - 1333

CPU-NB Voltage - +0.1V
          DRAM Voltage - 1.50V
          NB Voltage - 1.40V
          HT Link Voltage - 1.40V

DRAM Timing Mode - Both

Trfc 0 160ns
          Trfc 1 160ns
          Trfc 2 160ns
          Trfc 3 160ns

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          So can you go in depth about the HT Voltage being put that high? Are you talking about the CPUv or the actual HTTv? Also why are you upping the NBv as well?

Comment

We suggest rough high voltages to get the system to work. It is up to the user to find the lowest stable voltage, or any overvoltage that is unnecessary. Unfortunately, necessary voltage differs for hardware to hardware, even if it is the same exact item, which makes it slightly more difficult to simply give out spot on voltages that are guaranteed to work.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

But why the HT, and NB? They don't have anything to do with the Memory.

Comment

North Bridge (NB) and Memory

The North Bridge is the Memory Controller so it does have alot to do with memory.

Comment

No, thats the CPU-NB. The NB is the NorthBridge or sometimes called the Chipset, which is the midway between the CPU and the PCI-E lanes along with the SB.

But again, why the HT voltage? If HT is referred to the HyperTransport and not the HyperTransport Link.

Comment

HT and North Bridge

The CPU still needs to communicate with the rest of the system through the North Bridge through a HT link. If the CPU is demanding more of the NB to be able to communicate with the rest of the system and the voltage is too low for the NB to handle the increased communication, then there could be a failure, including a break down in communication, including through the HT link between the CPU-NB and the chipset NB, in this case the 790FX north bridge. So that is why keeping the NB, the CPU-NB and the HT link, which all works together, similarly increased in voltage. Neither the CPU, the CPU-NB, the NB or the memory work independently.

Comment

See the following Diagram

http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/images...fx-diagram.png

Comment

I got around to obtain a C3 rev. of my processor,(Not from AMD though, they just didn't want to and they felt quite unfriendly in their mails) but it still crash with a HTSFE, it is much more stable though, but the crashes happens again.

Even though there's no error in memtest, could it actually be the RAM that is defective? Because I've pretty much changed everything at least once in my computer, except the ram, and the crash still happens.

I'm at lost here.

Comment

Try resetting everything back to stock

You probably want to run Prime95 in Windows because memtest in DOS, which I assume you are running it in DOS, only runs one processor because DOS is not a threaded operating system. Then see if Prime95 gives any errors. I'd set everything back to stock, increase the memory voltage to 1.6 then run Prime95 in Windows and see if you get any errors. The G Skill memory, rated at 1.5 volts, I got for my brother just simply does not like voltage above 1.53 on an Asrock M3A790GXH/128. So, resetting the voltage back to close to stock level with a new processor may give better results.

Comment

TetraSky,

Both sticks operating by themselves will give you the HTSFE?

We can surely have the memory replaced to see if the new set works better..

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

I have the same motherboard, the MSI 790FX-GD70 and G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM. I was getting the HTSFE. I fixed it by upgrading my power supply to an XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE power supply. It's been solid as a rock ever since. I know that looks like a more than sufficient power supply. But anything can be faulty, either your memory or the power supply.

Comment

Clarification

I meant when I said that I know that looks like a more than sufficient power supply, I meant your power supply looks like more than sufficient. But anything can be faulty, either your memory or the power supply.

Corsair did have a problem with a particular Intel based motherboard, the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R20LLGQ...R20LLGQM69BB7G

I'm not necessarily saying that that is your issue, but only showing that it is possible to have incompatibility or problems with a power supply and this deals with a power supply by Corsair and a power supply with more wattage rating than yours, 950 watts. And especially since the source of your problem is still very elusive. But from what I understand, this incompatibility has been is fixed, from what I read. But the incompatibility did happen and if you can try a different power supply that may not hurt.

Comment

Working...
                                X