Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only 4 Gb of Memory reading with 6 Gb installed

Model of the motherboard: MSI X58 Pro-E LGA
    Model of the memory: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit
    Model of the CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W

I have tried everything. I've updated the BIOS, I've tested each stick, I've even RMA'd the board itself, but to no avail. I have 3 sticks of RAM in each of the DIMM_A slots. Each stick is 2 GB each, but the POST never counts more than 4 GBs. I've tried adding in the sticks each one at a time in different slots; in different combinations, but nothing is working.

Have I done something wrong - or forgotten to do something?
    Last edited by Dante Leonhart; 04-02-2010, 02:42 PM. Reason: typo

If the sticks all tested okay w/ memtest in slot one and you are running the the latest BIOS 8.A (can be found here)

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=do...1&prod_no=1804

Could be you have a bad CPU that can't handle the RAM, might have gotten another bad mobo (they've had trouble with these (primarily heat)). or even a bad PSU.

Might want to try increasing the CPU/MCH voltages and ensure the DRAM voltage is at the spec voltage (or even taking it up to .05 to .1 higher than spec.

Might want to post the actual model of the sticks and your BIOS settings so we can see if anything looks amiss

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I haven't seen any thing that would make me suspect there's something wrong with the CPU. What kind of things should I look for if I have a bad CPU? Here is the one I have (all parts for this computer are less than 2 weeks old and the MOBO is brand new after an RMA replacement)

CPU - Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W

PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

As for the BIOS settings, what kind of settings do I send you? I'm rather inept when it comes to clock setting - bordering on ignorant. I just haven't done it before.

On a separate note, I ran a program called Speccy. I shows 6 Gb of DUAL channel RAM for some reason, but Windows 7 only recognizes 4, as well as POST.

Here is exactly what Speccy shows me:

RAM
      6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz 8-8-8-19

Memory
      Type DDR3
      Size 6144 MBytes
      Channels # Dual
      DRAM frequency 534.4 MHz
      CAS# Latency (CL) 8 clocks
      RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 8 clocks
      RAS# precharge (tRP) 8 clocks
      Cycle time (tRAS) 19 clocks
      Command rate (CR) 1T

SPD
      Number of SPD modules 3
      Slot #1
      Type DDR3
      Size 2048 MBytes
      Manufacturer G.Skill
      Max bandwidth PC3-10700H (667 MHz)
      Part number F3-10666CL9-2GBNQ
      SPD Ext. EPP

JEDEC #4
      Frequency 666.7 MHz
      CAS# latency 9.0
      RAS# to CAS# 10
      RAS# Precharge 10
      tRAS 25
      tRC 34
      Voltage 1.500 V

JEDEC #3
      Frequency 592.6 MHz
      CAS# latency 8.0
      RAS# to CAS# 8
      RAS# Precharge 8
      tRAS 22
      tRC 30
      Voltage 1.500 V

JEDEC #2
      Frequency 518.5 MHz
      CAS# latency 7.0
      RAS# to CAS# 7
      RAS# Precharge 7
      tRAS 19
      tRC 26
      Voltage 1.500 V

JEDEC #1
      Frequency 444.4 MHz
      CAS# latency 6.0
      RAS# to CAS# 7
      RAS# Precharge 7
      tRAS 17
      tRC 23
      Voltage 1.500 V

Slot #2
      Type DDR3
      Size 2048 MBytes
      Manufacturer G.Skill
      SPD Ext. EPP

JEDEC #4
      Frequency 666.7 MHz
      CAS# latency 9.0
      RAS# to CAS# 10
      RAS# Precharge 10
      tRAS 25
      tRC 34
      Voltage 1.500 V

JEDEC #3
      Frequency 592.6 MHz
      CAS# latency 8.0
      RAS# to CAS# 8
      RAS# Precharge 8
      tRAS 22
      tRC 30
      Voltage 1.500 V

JEDEC #2
      Frequency 518.5 MHz
      CAS# latency 7.0
      RAS# to CAS# 7
      RAS# Precharge 7
      tRAS 19
      tRC 26
      Voltage 1.500 V

JEDEC #1
      Frequency 444.4 MHz
      CAS# latency 6.0
      RAS# to CAS# 7
      RAS# Precharge 7
      tRAS 17
      tRC 23
      Voltage 1.500 V

Slot #3
      Type DDR3
      Size 2048 MBytes
      Manufacturer G.Skill
      SPD Ext. EPP

JEDEC #4
      Frequency 666.7 MHz
      CAS# latency 9.0
      RAS# to CAS# 10
      RAS# Precharge 10
      tRAS 25
      tRC 34
      Voltage 1.500 V

JEDEC #3
      Frequency 592.6 MHz
      CAS# latency 8.0
      RAS# to CAS# 8
      RAS# Precharge 8
      tRAS 22
      tRC 30
      Voltage 1.500 V

JEDEC #2
      Frequency 518.5 MHz
      CAS# latency 7.0
      RAS# to CAS# 7
      RAS# Precharge 7
      tRAS 19
      tRC 26
      Voltage 1.500 V

JEDEC #1
      Frequency 444.4 MHz
      CAS# latency 6.0
      RAS# to CAS# 7
      RAS# Precharge 7
      tRAS 17
      tRC 23
      Voltage 1.500 V
      I hope that helps. I have no idea what 90% of it means lol
      Last edited by Dante Leonhart; 04-02-2010, 10:54 PM. Reason: Formatting

Comment

Sorry for the double post, but I was doing some research while waiting for a reply. Was I supposed to adjust some kind of timing setting when I installed the RAM? This may be what is causing my problem because I just put the sticks in and adjusted nothing in the BIOS. I guess I kinda just expected it to work in a 'plug and play' type manner. If that's the case, then I'm not sure what settings I need to change.

The main reason I bought the RAM is because it listed "Compatible with Intel Core i7 series CPU for Intel X58 Motherboard" under its features. I'm not extremely computer savvy so I was hoping I could just plug it in and get it to work.

Comment

Sorry for triple posting but I have come across some more information. It seems these sticks and this board don't do well together.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=129136.0

I guess what I need to know is, did I get TWO bad boards in a row or do these two pieces of hardware just not go together. I need to know quickly so I can either do another RMA request (either for the RAM or for ANOTHER MOBO) or just go with another product entirely.

Comment

Need a little more help - the actual model number of the sticks - will probably be either the NQs

(F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ) which have a red heatsink or the PKs

(F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK) which have a powder blue heatsink.

With either you'll want to put in the base timings, command rate and DRAM voltage manually

the NQs will take 9-9-9-24, command rate at 2N and Dram voltage 1.6

the PKs will take 7-7-7-18, " " " " "

If however, you have the PKs, w/ your CPU you may have to relax the timings to 7-7-7-21 or even 8-7-7-21

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sorry, I've been back and forth on MSI's site too. I didn't realize I didn't give you the model number. Here's the info I haven't given you yet

Model of the motherboard: MSI X58 Pro-E LGA
              Model of the memory: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit
              Model of the CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W
              Model of the GPU:* SAPPHIRE TOXIC 100282TXSR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
              Model of the HDD:* Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
              Model of the PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
              Type of Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

BIOS: A7522IMS V8.10 030910
              RAM MODEL NUMBER: F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ | DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24 1.5v | PC3-10666 2GBX3 | 10060840076833
              MOBO MODEL NUMBER: MS-7522 | VER: 3.1

Those are exactly what are printed on the label/sticker letter-for-letter.

I've tried manually adjusting the 9-9-9-24. I was able to find it easily, but I don't know where to adjust the voltage in the BIOS

Comment

Not positive on your mobo, but it may be either with the DRAM settings, or in a voltages area...or possibly in with CPU settings, if you can't find it, might just try posting your BIOS settings, MSI and a few others can get rather cryptic in their setting descriptions

Tman

Comment

I actually tried going in and manually adjusting everything. When I adjusted the 2N and 9-9-9-24 numbers, I didn't get any change at all. When I adjusted the voltage, I would either get a message saying that the "Overclocking Failed" or there would be no change and it would still only read 4 GB.

How do I post the BIOS settings for you?

Sorry if I'm coming off as incompetent.

Comment

No problem, if you have access to digital camera, you can just take pictures and post them to a site that allows picture sharing or pull a templte off one of the post in the BIOS settings and fill in your settings, then paste it into a post here.

Tman

Comment

I didn't wake up early enough to get the settings for you, but I did find an MSI compatibility list for memory. The particular memory I bought isn't on it. (I searched for the model number) Here is the list: http://www.msi.com/uploads/test_report/TR10_1804.pdf

Does this mean I just bought the wrong RAM?

Comment

It is compatible, you may have gotten a bad set. You can test them one at a time to see if one acts differently than others. If so, simply send them in for new replacements and the new set should work just fine. The memory package is indeed compatible with that motherboard.

Also, please make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Sorry for the wait.

Ok, I've actually tried RMA the sticks and I now have a brand new set. Its still the same problem. 1 stick reads fine. 2 sticks read fine. Its the 3rd stick that never works. The BIOS is the latest one available (I updated it myself) and there is an option for this board called 'Memory-Z' that reads all the sticks just fine. For some reason though, once I go to boot-up, it only recognizes 2 sticks for a total of 4 gb only in Dual-channel mode.

Comment

Check CPU pins, reseat the CPU, make sure CPU cooler is not touching any part of the motherboard.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Done. The core i7 does not have any pins - but it is seated correctly and the socket is in perfect condition. The only part of the cooler that is touching the motherboard is where the fan connects for power.

Comment

Working...
                              X