• Corsair TX 850W
    • Gigabyte 790xta-ud4 1.0 (bios f3c)
    • F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO
    • AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4Ghz
    • Raid 0 WD 250GB RE3
    • WD 1TB
    • XFX HD5870

Strange Cold Boot/Start problem.

If my pc stay off for some hours, when i turn it on, it post...but after 1-2 second after the "windows bootmanager" the pc freeze with the hdd led light on.

I have to press reset (ctrl+alt+del not working) to reboot.

i have to do this operation 2 or 3 times. Sometime the pc run the boot process till windows login screen, then it freeze! Sometime the pc run and i can do the login.. but after some second on the desktop it crashes! More the pc is hot more long it resist

Always, after max 4 reboot, the pc do the post, boot and windows start without any problem.
    Then i can run everything (Burn in test, memory test, etc) i have no issue till next "cold boot".

If i do the shutdown, and reboot without a long pause (like the night) the pc reboot with no problem.

I have this "freeze" problem only i turn on the pc after the night or some hours. It is like a "diesel" engine: i must wait the pc is "hot" the it run without problem.

I have do another test: after a cold boot i have pressed F12 to select the HDD to do the boot.
    Then i have take a coffee, and after 10 minutes a have selected my boot hdd: so the system warm up in the pause... and then it do the boot without any freeze!

This problem is very annoiyng!!!! Because after numerous reboot, then the pc i ROCK SOLID and i can play o working endless!

My PSU is new, i have controlled voltages and they are perfect, cpu run fine (otherwise my cpu would not have passed stress testing), memtest with one memory module, or two, run without errors (when the system is warmupped sorry for my poor english).

Only thing i have to test is a memtest after a cold boot. If i find errors in this situation (memtest on cold boot)... can be a problem of the ram or of the MB? Thanks!

(sorry sorry sorry for my poor english!)

Please send the memory in for new replacements and the new set should work much better.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

So it's a problem almost certainly due to the ram?

So i have no need to do other tests and i may require replacement for only ram? The MB should be healthy, right?

Thanks!

PS: i have noticed a thing... when i start some software for hardware checking (like CPU-Z) when they start and do a check for the SPD, i notice the same type of freeze! Thanks for the soluzione (replacement) but... which is the cause of this problem?
      Last edited by simbus82; 04-02-2010, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Could try raising the DRAM voltage by .05 to .1 and/or raising the CPU/MC/HT voltages, 1600 is an OC rated speed so you may have to OC your 965

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

For keeping the system stable i have raised the dram voltage from 1.35V to 1.605V

My MB need OC only for speed >= 1866Mhz, because there is a 8x multiplier for dram speed. (6.66x multiplier is for 1333Mhz).

PS: this ram is into the QVL list of my MB, so i don't think i have to change something!

The fact is that system, when is "hot", run flawless!!
          Last edited by simbus82; 04-03-2010, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Believe the stock bandwidth on DRAM for the 965 is 1333, so to run 1600 requires OC and/or adjustments to voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

ok it is right..but... same problem! Only when hot i can have a stable system!

I think i have to do an RMA...

Comment

You can contact the RMA folks direct through the forum, they should be in Monday AM

Tman

Comment

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                  X