Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECO CL7 1600 rocks

G.Skill

Just wanted to share with you the great experience I had with a new build I did this past weekend.

Specs:
    I7-860 with Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cooler
    Asus P7P55D-E Pro
    G.Skill ECO CL7 1600 Mhz DDR3 4 gig kit, Qty 2 (F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO)
    EVGA 260 (from old PC)
    WD Black 750 (system)
    WD Blue 150 x 2 (Raid 1) (system images/backup)
    Antec 550 Watt power supply (from old PC)

I gutted my case of my old parts, an AMD Opteron 148 running at 2.8 Ghz with 3 gigs of mismatched DDR ram and cleaned up the case. Installed everything, being sure to keep each ram kit grouped together. I purchased 2, 4 gig kits on the off chance that I had trouble with one kit and needed to RMA. I didn't want to have to RMA all 8 gigs and be without a system. Turns out it there is no problem whatsoever.

On first power up, the computer came to life and I went into the BIOS. All hard drives were detected. All 8 gigs were detected at CL9 settings with all 9's across the board. No big deal. I left everything alone and booted an "Ultimate Boot CD" to test memory motherboard, CPU for 30 minutes to check for anything obviously wrong.

I ran tests and found nothing, so I installed windows 7. Installed fine. (memory is still set to CL9 with straight 9's at this point). I installed the ASUS EVO software that does a 30% overclock with one reboot and it boosted my bclk to 192 and my overall clock rate to 3.6Ghz. Prime95 on 8 threads pushes temps to about 76c.

Rebooted, verified no problems. Rebooted again and went into BIOS and manually set memory to CL7 settings and 1.35 volts per its ratings. Restarted and reran memtest and found no errors.

I did run into trouble booting windows with BSODs when I enabled XMP but I don't attribute this to the memory, but to my lack of understanding of the ASUS BIOS settings which I am still learning. I ended up setting the memory manually and its running at spec speeds per CPUID. No evidence of Cold Boot issues.

I am very satisfied. Great product G.Skill.
    Etiam In Pugna, Semper Fidelis!

If you're bored, set them to 1800 with 1.50V. =P

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 03-09-2010, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X