Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill F3-10666CL7 4GB Timing Help.

Alright so here is the situation...

My computer is fine for the week at it's current overclock and stable with 25 runs of Linx and stable in Prime95 and not to mention stable in Memtest. I go through the week with total stability. Now when i home for the weekend, i turn my computer off from Friday to Sunday. When i come home on Sunday, 1-2 minutes after logging in, i BSOD a memory management error, and i either have to change a timing to fix the issue, but why was it stable the previous week?

My timings for the G.Skill Ripjaw F3-10666CL7 4Gb pack are as follows:

7-7-7-23-1T

They are running at 1500mhz and are stock at 1333. I left the voltage at stock as i was having problems setting it any higher than 1.52.

Why is it stable through the week, and when i turn my computer on when i come back home, it loses it's stability and i have to make a minor adjustment to make it stable again?

At CL7, and with those timings, and being Ripjaws, I'd guess you have the F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH set and further would surmise you're running an AMD CPU, first you'll be better off w/ the Command Rate at 2N instead of 1, which may take care of the problem...if not, would help to know what CPU and mobo you are running (by model #) and also what kind of OC you have, again just a guess.

If this is a new build, in part it could be a result of the CPU getting settled while the thermal compound cured, but if you are running an AMD CPU, it's prob the command rate being too tight especially when OCing the sticks.

Most of the above is, as stated sort of guessing, but am basing it on the timings and specs shown since I don't your exact hardware setup. Just sounds/feels like AMD.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Lol sorry for not more info, my setup is as follows:

Intel Core I5 750 @ 3.8ghz
      MSI P55 CD-53 motherboard
      DDR3 Ripjaws F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH @ 1500mhz

This is about a 4 month old build. Just recently have i overclocked to 3.8ghz and now i am trying to figure out why i get a blue screen when i turn my computer on after the weekend. An example of a small change that fixes the problem for the week is:

Timing that gave error: 7-7-7-20
      Timing that fixed it for the week: 7-7-7-23

Should i try changing it to 2T? Would if affect my gaming performance much as i am an active gamer?
      Last edited by CHEFFY; 03-07-2010, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Think it prob will, the way RAM is today you can OC it, but it's generally pretty tight right out of the box, which in large part is why you can get sticks at such a variety of speeds i.e. 1066, 1100, 1200, 1333 etc.
        For future thought, I normally suggest people buy faster sticks and if need be downclock them and tighten the CL to raise the performance level, price wise 1333 and 1600 (as an example) are right with each other.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well it seems as there is a fairly big performance hit with switching to 2T, is there a looser timing i could possibly set that might resolve this issue? Such as 8-8-8-24? Does a CL7 work with CL8 timings?

Edit: This is almost the exact same problem i am having with the cold boot issue im sure you have been hearing about g.skill admins, i think i would like to request an RMA?
          Last edited by CHEFFY; 03-08-2010, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Cheffy,

Yes, if you are having cold boot problems, simply send them in for new replacements.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Alright so i really dont want to RMA as i am hoping it might still be just an overclocking issue. I tried the 2T setting with 7-7-7-21 @ 1.52 and i got a memory management error shortly after logging in. I am going to try to cold boot at stock tomorrow afternoon as it's a little late now. If it does a memory BSOD with the 7-7-7-21 @ 1.5v and no overclock, is this an indicator that i need new sticks?

Comment

Well, the "cold boot" issue will only not work upon first boot. But if you restart/reset the computer, then it will have no problems at all.

Also, you said you are running them at 1500.. if you are using 7-7-7-21, 1.50V, then of course you will have problems....

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

What timings do you recommend me setting them? And the voltage?

Comment

For DDR3-1500?

8-8-8-24 1.60V

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info and the quick reply.

Comment

Alright i tried 8-8-8-24 @ 1.6 and i did not post..

Seems if i do 9-9-9-24 i can post but are those timings correct?

Comment

It may be required for DDR3-1500. You will simply need to fine tune voltages and timings if you are trying to overclock.

Thank you
                          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                          X