Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice

Need some advice on memory. I?m just an old guy that does cad work and some rendering. Work at my computer 8 to 10 hours a day. Play maybe two games a year ..if that. I build a new system evey 4 years or so. Never overclocked?.don?t know anything about it. XMP does sound like something I could handel.
    I do know I need a system that runs stable. Period. (Of course fast rendering is good thing too).

New system will have:
    i7-860 CPU
    MSI GD-65 board
    GTX 260 video
    Seasonic x650 power
    CPU cooler - undecided

My question is simply which memory moduals (4MB kit) are best for my situation?
    Assuming I go with 8MB instead of 4MB, would there be any difference in the recommend moduals?
    It seems a lot of people have trouble when using more than 2 sticks??but, others do not.
    Thanks????..

With your hardware selection and doing CAD/Rendering, I'd definitely look towards 8GB as much of what you do is RAM dependent (the more data from the CAD drawing that can be in RAM makes the manipulations you do with it faster than having to constantly go to the drive to pull data).

Next with your hardware, your mobo will accommodate a variety of RAM speeds w/1600 and up listed/classified as OC speeds. Since you don't don't OC (yet?) the best solution may be to go with 1333 sticks............but.........I think I'd suggest, based on price (1333 and 1600 both basically run the same price) and other factors (among them the 1156 socket mobos are still relatively young) I'd go with 1600 RAM and possibly run it at 1333 with a lower CL (which will increase performance). Then, within a few months probably, MSI will have upgraded the BIOS to where 1600 is considered standard as opposed to OC RAM and you can up it to the native speed...if...it will run faster than the 1333 speed with a lower CL........which may be a 50-50 proposition.

With that in mind, I'd suggest the 1600 Ripjaws:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231303

that are 1600, with base timings of 7-8-7-24, which at 1333 you should be able to run at 6-6-6-18 or better.

or for just a bit more (about $10 for 2 sets), you could go with the ECOs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231321

and the timings would be appr the same at stock 1600 and downclocked 1333.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Actually those are the two I have been looking at. I?ve read a lot of positives about the ECO memory; mostly here from you Tech folks.
      Any advantages / disadvantage between the two suggested ? Price doesn?t matter to me.
      Is there a problem going with 4MB now and later going to 8MB, or is it better to buy them all together?
      Thanks again

Comment

Between the two, the ECOs are a slightly newer model/IC and developed to run at a lower voltage (1.35 vs 1.65), both are designed w/ the P55 in mind so either would be a good choice. Of the two, my guess is that GSkill will suggest the ECOs, (since they are newer) while on the other hand, personally, I'd lean towards the Ripjaws. I like the idea of the higher voltage availability for possible changes, i.e. can drop it a little if underclocking and or there's more voltage to play with to set stability if needed, more play if you decide to OC, and the flexability if you ever want to put the sticks in a different mobo. Also these particular sticks I've used and like their flexability, they also have a track record of very good reviews.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The ECO series can actually do everything RipJaws can and more, but we simply can't recommend it. If you know what I mean. =)

ie. many people have been overclocking/overvolting the 1600 cl7 ECOs to 2000+ but of course with much more voltage. When I tested them, I simply set memory voltage to 1.50V and they were 100% stable for DDR3-1800.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

As all want is a stable system...(and speed is a good thing) but I don't overclock, I think I will go with the Eco's. Either the 12800CL7 or the 10666CL7.
            I am still concernd with all the problems people seem to have with 4 sticks though, if I decide to go with 8MB.

Comment

I built an i7 860 CPU on the MSI P55-GD80 board, loaded it with the Trident 2000 Mhz memory and have had 8GB loaded running off the overclock memory profile XMP in BIOS. It overclocks the CPU to about 3.48 and it's been stable for 2 months.

If you spend the money on that memory, it has been stable on my board at 1.65v.
              Windows 7 64 bit with an ATI 5850 card. I would imagine the 65 board is the same.
              Last edited by scrump6525; 03-08-2010, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Horndog View Post
                As all want is a stable system...(and speed is a good thing) but I don't overclock, I think I will go with the Eco's. Either the 12800CL7 or the 10666CL7.
                I am still concernd with all the problems people seem to have with 4 sticks though, if I decide to go with 8MB.
                if you plan to g owith 8GB(2GBx4) memory, you may choose F3-12800CL7Q-4GBECO for better compatibility because they are tested with 4 dimms together
                thanks

G.S

Comment

Went with the F3-12800CL7Q-8GBECO. Booted right up. Windows 7 64 installed fine. Enabled XMP and sticks are running stable at proper voltage and timings.
                  Thanks for your help..................

Comment

Glad to hear. Should be great for what you are using your computer for. Enjoy!

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                    X