Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill And Members

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board but have been an observer for awhile.

I recently built a computer:
    The case is a Cooler Master 932 HAF.
    Motherboard is an Intel DP55KG.
    CPU is an I7 860.
    PSU is a BFG 1000.
    Graphic Card is a BFG GTX 260
    Burner is a HP 1270i
    CD DVD player is a Samsung
    HD is a WD Caviar Blue 320 GB
    Keyboard is a Logitech G15
    Monitor is a Samsung Sync Master P2370
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Memory is G. Skill (2) F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

The reason I chose to build a new unit was my old Intel Pentium 4 with XP installed was starting to run very warm. Yes, I blew the heat sink off to remove any dust and it still didn't matter. The newer software seemed to be very demanding and the CPU fan would let you know it. It was loud. Summer ambient temperatures in the 80 degree range or higher would limit my usage and that would be with the case side cover off and an aux. desk fan blowing air into it. (I even upgraded the graphic card to a BFG GTX 260 so as to remove any heat from the case caused by the card. My old card was a PCX 5300 and wouldn't handle many newer applications.) The noise was very annoying and the addition of the desk fan at low speed didn't help.

After I assembled the new unit, with stock heat sink, I played with it a little just to see it perform. I'm impressed. Then I ran Intel's utility program that allows the monitoring of the temperatures. This is where I become a little concerned. My current CPU speed is 3.47GHz. The CPU fan is running between 1100 and 1200 rpm and the temperature is running at 52-53 degree C before red line. Intel runs their temperature reporting backwards. When I apply a test load to the system the temperature starts climbing and the fan does also but only very small increases in the RPM. Eventually it almost gets to the red line and then the CPU fan really kicks in and drops the temperature.

My fear is that when Summer rolls around I will once again sustain higher temperatures, not like my old unit, but enough to cause me concern as I want to protect my investment. So I was looking around for an aftermarket HSFA. The one I was eyeing is the Cooler Master N620 but after an email to the company I was told that it hangs over the first and second memory slot and that it may not work with tall memory. They didn't give me the definition of tall memory and I don't feel like tearing down the unit to access and measure the memory. So, if G. Skill could help me out here I would appreciate it. Further, for those that have Intel boards with 1156 sockets, a recommendation of a cooling solution would also be appreciated. It must be a PWM configuration. I am not pushing for speed at this time but there is the future to consider. I am not looking for or at liquid cooling.

Thanks in advance to one and all for their time, opinion(s) and any recommendations.

Have you looked at the Hyper 212?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Thanks for the quick rely Tradesman.

Yes I have but that cooler is a non PWM design. Its upgraded 212 plus model however is a PWM design. The drawback that I see is the exposed heatpipes on the CPU. I have read reader reviews about this and it seems there are some issues with contact, or better said, lack of contact.

I haven't ruled it out but I want to keep my options open also.

Comment

Well, you've also got the Freezer Pro 7 and the Zalman 9900 (9700 has a mounting kit for the 1156 socket), a couple of my favorites. Thermaltake has a new WPM the SpinQ (haven't tried one yet and, will have to check but think the Tuniq 120 Tower might be WPM

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X