Another F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ M4A785TD-V EVO Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ M4A785TD-V EVO Problem

I just put together a new build and am having a few problems that I can't quite figure out (partly due to not completely understanding the technical issues about configuring the RAM settings in the BIOS, and partly due--I think--to the components). Here is what I'm using:

Mobo: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO updated to 0602 BIOS
    RAM: GSkill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (2x2GB kit)
    CPU: Athlon II X4 630 Propus
    160GB Seagate HD (for now)
    Case: Coolermaster Elite 335
    Sony DVD/CD combo drive

Here's the first problem I ran into. After putting all the components together, I installed both modules of RAM into the two black slots (closest to the CPU), which the manual says (p. 1-15) is proper for a dual-channel configuration (likewise a pair in the blue slots is supposedly also correct). Problem is it wouldn't post. So I took one out, leaving just one in the slot closest to the CPU, and it at least posted without modifying any BIOS settings. (I also tried to put them both in the blue slots, and it wouldn't post that way either.) I now have one module in DIMM slots A2 and A1 (one black slot and one blue slot) and it seems to work okay (CPU-Z and the BIOS both show it as having 4096 MBs installed).

Is this slot confusion normal? I just returned a Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H board because of a similar problem that I assumed might have been a defect. It wouldn't post whenever there was a module of RAM in DIMM slot 2. (I tried posting about it to a Gigabyte forum and got a zillion looks but not a single reply!--so when I contacted Newegg and explained what was happening they just RMA'd it). I tried that board because I had some extra DDR2 RAM that I wanted to make use of. So as a replacement I ordered this one instead with the new GSkill DDR3, and it's behaving the same way.

Another thing I've noticed (and this is probably the part where I just don't get it!) is similar to what others here have mentioned. CPU-Z (and PC Wizard) both identify the modules, in terms of max. bandwidth, as DDR3-SDRAM PC3-10700 (667 MHz) - [DDR3-1333], but it also shows the correct part number (F3-12800... etc.). This is on the SPD tab in CPU-Z (which is, I think, the same in PC Wizard). Does this matter? And on the memory tab in CPU-Z it shows the number of channels as single with the following timings:

NB Frequency: ~2008mhz
    DRAM Freq: ~803mhz
    FSB : DRAM 1:4
    CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-CR = 9.0-9-9-24-40-2T

I modified those timings in the BIOS from the default auto settings (they were different, but I can't remember now what they were), and the all the rest are set to auto. I also know that the command rate can't be set in the BIOS (which is something I've seen mentioned here frequently). But I did notice that it was 1T when only one module was installed, and 2T after I installed the second module.

There are a couple other things I don't quite understand about these timings and voltage, but maybe someone can enlighten me in my ignorance on this part first! Is the slot arrangement correct, or typical?

might try 9-9-9-27, tRFC 127 and up the DRAM voltage .06 to 1.56, additionally a slight OC might help. Have worked on two of these, and both were Bears....with all the problems with the EVO mobos, I'm thinking of picking one up to play with.........and I'm not a AMD fan.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      might try 9-9-9-27, tRFC 127 and up the DRAM voltage .06 to 1.56, additionally a slight OC might help. Have worked on two of these, and both were Bears....with all the problems with the EVO mobos, I'm thinking of picking one up to play with.........and I'm not a AMD fan.
      So do you think that changing the timings will make the second slot function? Because it won't post at all with a module in that slot. It will only work with a single module installed or with one in A1 and A2 (one black--the one closest to the cpu--and one blue slot). It won't run in dual channel mode either--at least not according to CPU-Z.

Comment

Had a little more time to look a little closer, first you may want to upgrade the BIOS to 0704 12/04/08, can be found here:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=vk9Pqxby9MjO0WHm

Try running memtest on each stick individually to make sure both are good, if so, then see the BIOS update enables the DIMM slot and it can see your stick, will want your ganged/unganged setting in the BIOS to ganged, then can try the settings provided. If still problems, may try underclocking the RAM to 1333, if that works may have to edge it up gradually with timing/voltage adjustments.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Had a little more time to look a little closer, first you may want to upgrade the BIOS to 0704 12/04/08, can be found here:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=vk9Pqxby9MjO0WHm
          Thanks for the suggestion Tradesman, but I don't think that BIOS is correct for my board. I have the M4A785TD-V EVO, and the 0602 is the most current for mine. The one you suggest is for the non-V version. I'm not sure what differences there are between them other than that the V version has onboard video, which I am using.

I ran each stick through Memtest86+ (v. 4) and Windows Memory Diagnostic and there weren't any errors. I haven't tried backing down the memory yet.

Comment

Sounds like the motherboard slot is defective, or the CPU is unable to run them in dual channel. You will need to contact one of those manufacturers to see how they troubleshoot these types of problems. The motherboard should have absolutely no issues operating this memory package in dual channel.

You will want to let them know that the memory works fine in single channel just not dual. Otherwise they will pull the usual "contact the RAM manufacturer for memory settings" card. If they do that, simply let them know the details Tradesman stated above. The details are also on your packaging and on the memory itself.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
              Sounds like the motherboard slot is defective, or the CPU is unable to run them in dual channel. You will need to contact one of those manufacturers to see how they troubleshoot these types of problems. The motherboard should have absolutely no issues operating this memory package in dual channel.

You will want to let them know that the memory works fine in single channel just not dual. Otherwise they will pull the usual "contact the RAM manufacturer for memory settings" card. If they do that, simply let them know the details Tradesman stated above. The details are also on your packaging and on the memory itself.
              I talked to an Asus tech last night, and since I don't have another CPU or more DDR3 to check in the board, he suspects it might be the memory controller on the CPU (since I had the same problems with two different mobos [the first was a Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H DDR2] and two different sets of RAM but the same CPU). So I RMA'd it today and ordered another of the same (Athlon II X4 630 Propus). I hope it works.

Comment

Working...
              X