What Memory for AM3??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Memory for AM3??

Okay just for S & Gs buzzed the 'egg to see what G. Skill had in 2 x 2GB for AM3. I'll admit "bling" sometimes comes into play with my choices (I feel safe with what GS makes in general) and was disappointed that all the neat looking stuff is for intel "only"!

So what would one recommend especially if putting it in a MSI 785GM-E65 / PII X4 955 setup, doesn't require a second mortage, and has some "bling" (red doesn't do it for BTW )

The reason why they are "Intel" only though is because not AMD systems can handle those specs. For example, most AMD systems can't even operate DDR3-2000, so that's why anything DDR3-2000+ is "Intel" only.

For your combination, I would suggest a DDR3-1600 CL8 memory package. Any of those should work just fine.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Comment

Yep, otherwise people call us and say... why doesn't my G.Skill DDR3-2400 work?? My motherboard says DDR3-2200+, but when I plug in the memory it is only DDR3-1333. You are selling me wrong ram, G.Skill is a big fraud company, blah blah blah

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

At least it is a lot easier to find compatible mem sets in general than in the "old days"! Only managed once to buy a set of mem that didn't like the mobo I had....and it WASN'T G. Skill.

Well it looks like these fit the bill for bling and function!

F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD OR F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM
          Last edited by jedihobbit; 02-26-2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Sure will. Exactly the two options to pick from.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

One last question......what is the height of the coolers on the -4GBTDs??

Thks as this would go into a mATX build....if it gets funded!

Comment

They are roughly 3/4" taller than standard. So as long as you can clear that you should be fine.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

(need to add a thumbs up or toast smiley!!)

Comment

Okay dumb question again.....tripped across an "older" line of g. skill I'm curious about for possible AM3....F3-12800CL7-2GBPI. The one thing that kinda stands out is the CL7 that may not work with AM3.

Comment

It will depend on the mobo and CPU, many AMD CPUs just aren't capable of running 1600

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

It again would be most likely a MSI 785GM-E65 / PII X4 955 setup with the only change being in the cpu with the possiblity of an X2 955.

Noticed this mobo is listed as 1333 max (latest bios supposedly allows oc'ing to 1600 with "some" memory) but was wondering about running the mem at that speed or get the MSI 785GM-E51 which states it can do 1600 overclocked.
                        Last edited by jedihobbit; 03-07-2010, 11:11 PM.

Comment

The 955 can hit 1600...takes some OCing and voltage adjustments. Also, with 1600 sticks you can tighten down the the timings and CL at 1333 and basically the same performance of the sticks at native 1600 and timings.
                          As you stated the E51 is actually rated up to 1600 w/ OC, so if you want to try to 1600, it may be the best bet of the two.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Hi guys, back again ! This will be the last question on this stuff as this is another "discontinued" line.

What is the possiblity of F3-16000CL9T-3GBPI-B working with AM3? If y'all haven't noticed it yet it is 50% Bling and 50% performance that I'm looking for!

Comment

Working...
                              X