Your best 2x 2GB PC3-12800 (1600Mhz)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jalyst,

Compared with the PI, the ECO advantage is voltage. The CL7 PI is spec'd for older DDR3 platforms that can operate a 1.90V. If you plan on using the newer H55/H57 platforms, you would not be able to use this since the high memory voltage would destroy your CPU.

The HZ's have the same 1.90V voltage, so the same problems arises. Another problem being both the HZ and PI CL7 are discontinued.

The Trident 1600 CL6 is a great memory package. It does fall within your voltage requirements (1.60V). It has a lower CAS latency, but they are rare to come by, which is why they are also now out of stock.

The RH is one of the memory packages that supersedes the first two above. It does not require as much voltage, since it has the newer IC chip with improved manufacturing processes. So essentially it would perform the same as the ones above, except with lower voltages. All of the memory packages with similar specs will perform similarly. That's the reason why it's no big deal which one you choose. All G.Skill memory modules are overclockable and downclockable. They will all scale just as well, just with different voltages. And since the ECO is 1.35V, it has slightly more range and flexibility, which is what I thought you were looking for. Plus, if you purchase the H57/i3, the whole idea is to use as least amount of voltage as you can, so it is only proper to purchase the ECO series for your other ECO hardware.

The ECO series can do everything the other memory packages can do with a lower voltage. That simply tells you it's the best, so there is no question about which one you should get. That's why my response is simple.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for clarifying your position further.
      I was not aware that PI/HZ are deprecated, & that RH has taken their place.
      Now that I understand your rationale I'm entirely confident with your suggestion.
      Thanks for your patience & understanding.

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by mudmarine View Post
        Looks like Jalyst/Jed finally got his answer. Congrats Jed. Pedantic is an understatement.
        That post was a series of Qns to establish whether the dots connected & picture formed, was correct.

From Legion Hardware Review.

<<<<< #37 Posted on: 02/26/2010 04:43 AM
        Hmm I guess they're advantage over the other G.Skill DDR3-1600 performance class sticks is...

1)You can get moderate OC's on substantially less voltage.
        2)You can under-clock to the same cut-off-point as the other sticks, but do so using less voltage all the way down, & with equally good timings?

I'm not expecting them to OC as well as the PI, TD, or RJ (what the heck's the difference between those three anyway, why so many?), but it'd be nice if they still OC'd decently.

More importantly for me ....
        Can they run at lower voltages/timings at stock or when under-clocked, than the other sticks?

>>>>>>>>>>

I think this pretty much sums it up and agrees with my research on the subject. To go along with what Tradesman said, your not going to be able to tell the difference between CL6, CL7 and CL8 except in a synthetic benchmark. Why make a big fuss? Even the benchmarks over at Tom's show that I7/I5/I3 memory controllers are that sensitive to different memory speeds, ie. your not going to see much difference in real world applications between hypothetical cl7 2000mhz DDR3 and cl9 1066 mhz dd3.
        Yes so I'm finding, I'm just asking questions and trying to understand the basis for people's positions.
        There is such a thing as a learning curve, sorry if I'm not a guru with this subject matter.

The sweat spot is CL8 1600. Shoot for that and call it good.
        On what basis do you make that claim?

Thank-you.
        Last edited by jalyst; 02-26-2010, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I've bought 12800 ECO, and i'm very happy with it:
          I run @2000Mhz 9-10-9-24 @1.48V only on my Asus P7P55D-E Premium mobo.
          Ofc the timings are not very tight since I was trying to find the config for not over pass 1.50V.
          I'm sure you can get much better timings adding little more voltage.

Passed LinX, Prime95, OCCT and HCI memtest without any error detected running at very cool temps.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
            On what basis do you make that claim?

Thank-you.
            The Tom's article i mentioned above.
            Etiam In Pugna, Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Originally posted by PI3 View Post
              I've bought 12800 ECO, and i'm very happy with it:
              I run @2000Mhz 9-10-9-24 @1.48V only on my Asus P7P55D-E Premium mobo.
              Ofc the timings are not very tight since I was trying to find the config for not over pass 1.50V.
              I'm sure you can get much better timings adding little more voltage.

Passed LinX, Prime95, OCCT and HCI memtest without any error detected running at very cool temps.
              Looks good enough for me, for the rare occasions I'll want to OC.
              Was this the F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO sticks?
              Only time will tell whether I get the same sort of OC'bility out of a H5x board.
              Thank-you for the constructive/friendly input!
              Last edited by jalyst; 02-27-2010, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst
                Was that recent?
                A google search didn't reveal it for me.
                Thank-you.
                It's going to be variable anyway, not necessarily always the sweet-spot.

Comment

Looks good enough for me, for the rare occasions I'll want to OC.
                  Was this the F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO sticks?
                  Only time will tell whether I get the same sort of OC'bility out of a H5x board.
                  Thank-you for the constructive/friendly input!
                  Yes it was F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO.

Comment

It's going to be variable anyway, not necessarily always the sweet-spot.
                    If you want absolutes, see a priest.
                    Etiam In Pugna, Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Originally posted by mudmarine View Post
                      If you want absolutes, see a priest.
                      Ahahahaha, you're hilarious...
                      T'was simply clarifying the original claim...
                      Which -without any qualifications accompanying it- sounded a lot like an absolute.
                      Last edited by jalyst; 03-02-2010, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PI3 View Post
                        Yes it was F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO.
                        Thank-you for confirming.

Comment

Just as confirmation .... my config is:
                          i5-650 (3.2Ghz)
                          GA-H57M-USB3
                          F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO

I'm not a serious overclocker, I'm interested in low power, but I decided see what sort of overclocking was available.

So for the past 36hours I've been running Linux including benchmarks with:
                          BCLK=180
                          CPU = 4.32Ghz (at 24x)
                          QPI @ 36x = 6.480Ghz
                          Memory @ 10x -1800 Mhz
                          Memory timing is 7,8,7,24

This is all at standard voltages (nominal 1.35v mem).
                          System idle power is ~9 watts higher than at nominal clocks.
                          memtest86+ report 11.1GB/sec mem bandwidth.
                          ==

The CPU is fine to 4.8Ghz - 50% overclock! - (Linux fails to boot at 5Ghz, but system still passes memtest86+), however above about 4.5Ghz the GPU locks up in full graphics mode. That is, if I setup a basic VGA test terminal then the Linux runs fine at 4.8Ghz, but a gui desktop locks up within a few minutes at even 4.6Ghz (system is still running OK - I can access via network, but the vid is locked up).
                          ==

Anyway the overclocking, both memory and CPU exceeds all of my expectations.
                          I see another pair of F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO in my future.

Comment

Wow this is great to hear, thanks for sharing!

In the end I went with a
                            http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...FyJ&templete=2
                            and a Core i3-530.

I'll be putting everything together soon and most prolly a build log for my *nix endeavours.
                            I may include some similar testing as part of that...
                            If I do I'll post a link here for you and others that were helpful.

Thanks again/night.
                            Last edited by jalyst; 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X