New Build Advice/Critiques welcomed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build Advice/Critiques welcomed

Hey Guys/Girls I'm extremely happy I finally build my 1st pc. So far everything has been a learning process on my side at least. I would like some opinions on my current settings if possible. I don't want to overclock above 3GHZ for now. I would like you guys to check my RAM tweaks and if a value is wrong tell of so I can fix it.

I'm looking for optimal performance with current clock settings![IMG][/IMG]

My build.

Intel i7 860,@ 3.0GHZ Zigamatek Balder
    EVGA P55 SLI
    GSkill (Trident) 2000MHZ 2X2GB F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD
    Zotac Nvidia GTX 260
    Corsair 850W
    Western Digital (Green) 500GB
    Creative X-Fi

These are some screen shoots of CPU-Z on my system!
    Thanks in advanced for any _+ input given.

I've tried a couple of settings so far in windows experienced I have gone from a 7.5 to a 7.7 to a 7.6 to 7.8 to 7.9 FINALLY! I've read up a bit and I went with the timings 9-9-9-24-88 1T to achieve a 7.9 on my EVGA board. My memory would read XMP profile however, I never had the 10X multiplier 2:12 I believe was my value for this setting so my ram would only go to 998 mhz X(2). But now as you can see I am running @ full speed or so I think!
    Last edited by armandozx; 02-20-2010, 06:45 PM.
    Intel i7 860
    Zigamatek Balder
    EVGA P55 SLI
    Zotac Nvidia GTX 260
    Corsair 850W
    Razer Diamondback 3G / Goliathus gaming pad
    Creative X-Fi
    Logitech Z-5300

i think your timings are ok, you could try going to 8 one at a time and see how it goes, and if you experience any issues bump the voltage by .01 until it steadies out. just my opinion.

Thanks,
    JsT
    http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1066980.png

Comment

Looks pretty solid, think you'd be hard pressed to go CL8 at that speed with the CR at 1
      Last edited by Tradesman; 03-12-2010, 05:44 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
        Looks pretty solid, think you'd be hard pressed to go CL8 at that speed with the CR at 2
        Thanks, sorry but I didn't understand this? "think you'd be hard pressed to go CL8"

Can I go CL8 timings at this CPU speed?. I have tried to go to CL8 timings but I keep getting errors with the fallowing values in 8-8-8-22-1T..... won't post after settings take full affect have to cmos.

Would I benefit more with 8-8-8-?-? 2T than with my current timings at 9-9-9-24-88-1T
        Last edited by armandozx; 02-21-2010, 01:58 PM.
        Intel i7 860
        Zigamatek Balder
        EVGA P55 SLI
        Zotac Nvidia GTX 260
        Corsair 850W
        Creative X-Fi
        Logitech Z-5300

Comment

Think it would be hard, might be able to get it in at 8-9-9-25 (or 26) w/ 2T but would require additional voltages and don't think the gain you might get would really be worth the time.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

lol thanks dude! yeah I bet it would be it was a hassle trying to get my current values as it is, how do the current settings I have sound though? 9-9-9-24-88-1T @ 1.65V can I run something slightly better. Recently my memory has been running at a higher % on my win7 widget, never seen 57% till now settings. Wonder why though, because I'm not even running so many applications 2 firefox aplications and 1 Opera with 10 tabs & my usual win7 process ( bit deffender, comodo firewall, creative control center, supera antispyware and nProtect gameguard ) & u torrent. hmmph wish I was at 26% efficiency with 1.63V settings again.
            Intel i7 860
            Zigamatek Balder
            EVGA P55 SLI
            Zotac Nvidia GTX 260
            Corsair 850W
            Creative X-Fi
            Logitech Z-5300

Comment

Should be able to drop your tRFC from 88, maybe to 68, but w/ your 1T CR it might be more like 72 or so

Tman

Comment

wow dude! =) good stuff thank you so much change values to 9-9-9-24-72-1T, the % wideget is below 40% with almost same programs opened and the pc feels slightly more responsive could be a wild guess but I like to think so. Might just try 68 but idk ..... might just pull it off ahahaha good stuff man thanks u know ur sh@t!
                Intel i7 860
                Zigamatek Balder
                EVGA P55 SLI
                Zotac Nvidia GTX 260
                Corsair 850W
                Creative X-Fi
                Logitech Z-5300

Comment

Sounds good, let us know what happens

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                    Sounds good, let us know what happens
                    This is what happend! It accepted the values you recommended ....... where to now!

after this I have been running very smooth windows 7 feels great widget memory % went down by 1~2.5%

Also just managed this

so which setting should I stick with?
                    Last edited by armandozx; 02-25-2010, 11:30 AM.
                    Intel i7 860
                    Zigamatek Balder
                    EVGA P55 SLI
                    Zotac Nvidia GTX 260
                    Corsair 850W
                    Creative X-Fi
                    Logitech Z-5300

Comment

If it's operating CL8, then that would be slightly faster. You can also try reducing the others as well to see where you could get it stable. Or you can simply overclock the memory frequency and use default timings. DDR3-2100+ is easy with 9-9-9-24. These are the real benefits of G.Skill memory.

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

How exactly do I go about OC my mem frequency on my EVGA P55 SLI board. Do i leave my multiplier the same 2x10 because when I jumped to 2x12 i ran 1200 on each dim but the clock cycles went from 8-9 to 11 and it eventually crashed on a 3d Mark Vantage test.
                        Intel i7 860
                        Zigamatek Balder
                        EVGA P55 SLI
                        Zotac Nvidia GTX 260
                        Corsair 850W
                        Creative X-Fi
                        Logitech Z-5300

Comment

the memory oc setting are on a different page than the cpu settings.
                          http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1066980.png

Comment

You have to set the CPU and memory multipliers according to your CPU Host Clock. For example, for DDR3-2100, you can use 210x10, 175x12, but then you will need to adjust the CPU multiplier as well so you don't overclock or underclock it too much.

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                              You have to set the CPU and memory multipliers according to your CPU Host Clock. For example, for DDR3-2100, you can use 210x10, 175x12, but then you will need to adjust the CPU multiplier as well so you don't overclock or underclock it too much.

Thank you
                              GSKILL SUPPORT
                              Yeah I know and thanks these are my results and somehow getting the memory to 2100 doesn't feel that fast is it CPU related now?

Here are the new test I tried to up my multiplier FSB 210 so my memory can reach the full 2100MHZ speed at 2X10 settings done voltage check no crashes so far with 9-9-9-27-88 1T timings. However the pc feels slightly slower/slugish for example i right click on windows and the option bar takes a lil longer to pop out then I would with my regular 2000MHZ speed at 8-9-8-18-65-1T settings. With the rated speed and changed timings i feel my cpu is faster maybe I am doing something wrong.

3772MHZ 2X10 210FSB @ 9-9-9-27-88-1T feels slower than
                              3800 MHZ 2x10 200 FSB @ 8-9-8-18-65-1T

MCH STRAP is set to 1600 I can include Voltages if possible.

I may be 20MHZ under in processor speed but I am over 97MHZ over in memory.

IF i set my multiplier to 175 then I can't reach my target cpu speed with 2X10 settings and if I go to 2X12 my timings jump to 11"s

Is something wrong here ^^ ?

According to the memory tests the 100MHZ show an improvement which leads me to believe it could be CPU related.
                              Last edited by armandozx; 03-12-2010, 05:45 PM.
                              Intel i7 860
                              Zigamatek Balder
                              EVGA P55 SLI
                              Zotac Nvidia GTX 260
                              Corsair 850W
                              Creative X-Fi
                              Logitech Z-5300

Comment

Working...