Memory Selection/Future-Proofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Selection/Future-Proofing

Hello to all. This is my first post so please be gentle/patient with me. I have built my first (full build) PC and have done about as much future-proofing as possible with a limited budget (oxymoron, I know). As you can see from specs below memory is a weak point. But for $139 after rebate I cant knock the XMS memory. My question is this. Has anyone had much experience with the newer x58 motherboards in regards to memory? Mine is a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5. They are rated at 2100+ memory speeds. Seems to be so new that Gigabyte doesnt have much newer memory listed on thier compatability chart. In fact most of it seems to be carried over from other models because some is'nt even available anymore. I am looking to get high end over-clocking type memory with the thought of running under max speeds at tighter timings. Then as the system approaches obsolescence I may be able to push it a little harder and/or swap to another motherboard and/or 6 core processor setup? At first I was specifically looking at XMP certified stuff until I saw the $200 a stick pricing on the Dominator GT stuff! Now I have succumbed to the fact I will have to reley on good old fashioned trial and error over-clock methods. No biggy. The issue I seem to be having though is almost all manufacturers fastest sticks come in dual channel kits for the p55 stuff. Can I just purchase two 4 gb kits to achieve an 8 gb quad channel setup (which is what the motherboard manual states- dimm 1-2-3 and 5 for four sticks in triple channel mode)? Two kits have my attention so far. First choice is - G.SKILL PIS DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Model # F3-19200CL9D-4GBPIS. Price is decent at 2 x $240= $480. The second choice is - G.SKILL PIS DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Model # F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS 2 x $180 = $360. Curiously second kit comes as quad channel kit with fan for $380. Why wouldnt I just buy two smaller dual channel kits for $20 bucks less and end up with an extra fan to boot? The research on these two models is solid and convincing with huge over-clock potential. I am air cooled for now but plan on going to custom water cooled setup later this year. The point is to over build this setup to gain a little extra lifespan before upgrading becomes necassary or prudent. I know a good way to achieve this is by over-specing parts initially. Any and all respectful input is appreciated. Thanks in advance guys, Greg

Configuration:
    Corsair Obsidian 800D Case
    Corsair HX 1000 PSU
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 MB
    I7-920 w/ Corsair H-50 Cooler
    Corsair XMS-1600 6gb Memory (Will return due to low over-clocking potential)
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB Black Edition
    Adaptec 5805 Raid Card
    3 x Vertex 30 GB Raid 0 (Primary)
    4 x Seagate 500 GB Raid 0 (Storage)
    Buffalo USB 3.0 1 TB External Drive (Backup)

Excellent approach to building, if it's in the budget, it's almost always a good idea to go with the best and fastest RAM you can, even if the mobo won't run it natively, you can always downclock it and quite possibly run at a tighter CL (and possibly outperform the sticks true speed) and there's always the chance that the BIOS will get updated to handle the faster speed.

That being said, one might jump at the 2400 sticks, but this, in my opinion, may be an exception the CL on the 2400 sticks you mention is 9, and the 2200 is 7, I would have doubts you'd be able to run the 2400 at 2200 w/ CL7, more likely CL8 and on the other hand, there is a good possibility you could run the 2200 sticks at 23-2400 by loosening the timing to CL8....or going to CL9, which in effect would be 2400 at the 2200 price and a like CL....

If you go w/ the 2200 (and save the $120) you could apply it elsewhere, i.e. going with 2 60 GB Vertex's (nice choice by the way) instead of 3 30s, which would provide an extra 30 or so GB for the OS and primary apps..........or to a 5870 instead of the 5850

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

You're definitely looking at the top kits available, but it may be an overkill for your system. The X58 platform will require an extremely high QPI/DRAM Voltage to operate DDR3-2000+. This may be the reason why there are not many packages above DDR3-1333 on the compatibility list.

Your system will be able to run 4 sticks in triple channel mode, but I would not suggest anything higher than DDR3-2000. Beyond that, you will need QPI/DRAM Voltages that may not be perfectly stable extensive usage. It would also depend on your CPU cooling, since at memory frequencies above DDR3-1600, your CPU can get quite hot.

In my opinion, the ideal memory package for X58 platforms would be the F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD, but since you have a board that allows 4 sticks, I would suggest the F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD.

An 8GB package has been tested for 8GB together, while two 4GB memory packages are simply two seperate kits put together. In most cases it will work, but not always, so it is at your own discretion should you choose to purchase two seperate sets to use on one system.

Thank you
      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thank You for the replies. Been out of town for a couple days and I appreciate your time on my memory decision. The memory I have now is Corsair XMS 1600 with an 8-8-8-20 XMP profile that is stable. When going manual settings the best I can get is 1720 at 9-8-8-20. So system seems to overclock well enough for air cooled. While I completely understand your points on max overclock potential, my main goal is to overspec memory (even if I never achieve max speed) so I have headroom and the potential for swaps to another board eventually that may take advantage of maximum speed. My big question is should I even be looking at these particular sticks? A few others make 2000 XMP sticks that show compatability on Gigabytes website. The prices seem to be higher on XMP stuff so I thought of deviating from said list and going with even faster sticks for reasons above. I know alot of this stuff is trial and error, but was hoping maybe someone has expereince with X58 stuff. Also wanted to point out I have 6 mem slots, so was thinking on eventually filling them with 12 gb's. Irealize Im going round and round here and dont want to waste anyones time, but am trying to avoid additional hassles (shipping, restocking, down-time, etc.) of doing a trial and error. The main question before I purchase is this- In theory, can I use any DDR-3 memory as long as the board is listed to support a certian speed? Board says 2100+ so Im hoping I could at least reach 2000 mhz. If you think Im barking up the wrong tree givin my intentions and future needs, let me know and I will just bite the bullet and purchase high end XMP memory that is listed on boards compatability chart. I just feel a little taken advantage of at $600 for 6 gb's. Your products while not XMP ready seem comparable and much more realistically priced. Again Thanks for the input. Greg

Comment

Hi Again, Forgot to mention this kit number as reference to your input about 8gb kits designed to work together. The kit is G.SKILL PI+Turbulence 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Model F3-17600CL7Q-8GBPIS. So what you are saying is this kit is validated to run together? But other Identical part # in 2 stick configuration is only validated to run said sticks and adding 2 smaller kits together may cause issues? Seems odd, but I guess if thats how you validate the products than I would have to pay the additional $ for larger kit. But than does that mean Im maxed at that 8 gb kit? In othrer words will I have issues later if I want to fill my last 2 mem slots with similar smaller kit? Thanks again, Greg

Comment

What about this memory guys? F3-17600CL8D-4GBTD. Is it still available? It is listed on the mb compatability chart. Could I install 2 kits? Thanks, Greg

Comment

Yes, generally speaking if the motherboard is rated for 2100+, DDR3-2000 should be achievable, as long as your other hardware such as the CPU can operate that memory frequency as well.

Where is 6GB $600? That does not sound right at all.

Yes, the 8GB kits are validated at 8GB to operate together. We can not validate two seperate memory packages to work together since not all modules will be able to perfectly match together. Although this is rare, it does happen. For 8GB+ memory packages, further extensive testing is necessary since many times these go in servers/gaming/high performance systems that require 100% stability under max loads.

Two sets of F3-17600CL8D-4GBTD can be used, but you may need to downclock them since the memory controller may not be able to handle 8GB-12GB at DDR3-2200.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Greg

You keep saying that you want to overspec your build which is great. Youll get more life out of your build and ultimately more satisfaction, but I would question the logic of spending so much money on on 2000+ CL7 8 gig kits for future proofing when you have twice said that you intend to replace the motherboard and or go to a 6 core cpu later on down the road.

It would seem that the cost of memory would be significantly cheaper than a new board and 6 core cpu.

The more prudent questions to ask are: What is your overclock goal for your 920? Is your cooling capable of it? Once you know that, buy the best memory you can afford that best matches your overclock. The performance difference between a $300 kit and your $600 kit is probably negligible.

Mud
                Etiam In Pugna, Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Thank You for the responses everyone (except for the virus submission) !!!!

Hello to all again,
                  Been busy and traveling alot for work so no time for replies, but still on task for memory selection. I appreciate all input on the matter and the time you give to post replies. As far as $600 memory goes I am looking at Corsair Dominator GTX2 sticks x 3 = $600. It seems rediculous I know, but this is 2250 mhz xmp memory that is pretty much plug and play. Also the availability of water cooling blocks for future upgrades is appealing as well since that is my intention long term (fully water-cooled), to squeeze the last bit of lifespan from parts configuration. That being said, I am having a hard time justifying pricing. I am leaning towards cheaper mem (2000 mhz) for now and maybe it will still be good enough for ebay/craigslist in 1 to 2 years. At that juncture maybe memory will be cheaper/faster and I could revisit the most appropriate bang for buck upgrade then. Looking at xmp stuff since it comes with preset profiles, but like the pricing of G-Skills stuff even though I have to tweak. Anyone else have experiences with high end (2000+ mhz) triple or quad channel mem? If so would you pay the premium price if you were building from scratch again? Hope to just make a decision by this weekend then just live with it and move on! Also missed the intro prices on newegg for a few mem kits I was interested in, some went up $60 per kit! Timing is everything I guess. Hey that was kind of witty considering the topic and message board I'm on! I know, corny......dude, pretty corny! Anyhow if anyone has a last two cents to add, Im all ears. Hey I did it again, corny....ears. Been a long day so I dont even get it until after, when proof reading post. If I dont reply back just know I was impressed by the timely and educated responses from all, accept the virus submission in my private folder..........Warning! Next time we will have to complaint to your ISP. From Admin&Moderator. Should have known, they can't even use proper english! Luckily I have several virus protection methods in use, so they are just wasting thier time! Thanks again all. Greg

Comment

Greg

I think my point is that your just not going to get a huge bang for your buck by going with high end super fast memory. This is especially true if your running more than 6 channels worth. (from an over clocking standpoint) 2 years from now, your also not going to be able to recoup any of your money on ebay unless you can pawn your stuff off on a rich newb who knows nothing... a 2 year computer isn't worth half what you paid for it.

Check out this Tom's article on memory scaling on 1366 i7:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...g-i7,2325.html

Granted it only goes up to 1600 with a few over clocked tests up to 2100, but you can see from the bench marks that you just don't see a big jump in performance except in a few isolated cases. The high sweet spot seems to be right around CAS 7, 1600 Mhz.

Now, I'm not gonna fault you for wanting an uber bad *** water-cooled beast. Thats awesome, and if you have the funds. Rock on. Go for it. If your gonna go that route though, I would be on the phone with G.Skill and your water cooling vendor working out a solution, not asking us. Your talking big bucks and it all has to work together.
                    Last edited by mudmarine; 02-17-2010, 08:23 AM. Reason: clarification
                    Etiam In Pugna, Semper Fidelis!

Comment

to mudmarine.

groberts101 and everybody,
                      Sorry about any spam or virus. We do not take it very lightly, so we are working on solutions to have it resolved immediately. These pesty spammers just keep advancing, unfortunately.

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT
                      Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 02-17-2010, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X