No announcement yet.

M4A78T-E and F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M4A78T-E and F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM HELP!!

I've been running my recently built computer for about 2 months now. I was running the stock CPU fan/heatsink and decided to upgrade to a Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer. I installed it yesterday and the computer booted up fine. Once installed I realized the airflow was the wrong way. While the mobo was still in the case I managed to switch the fan around. When I went to boot up I got a blank screen and it wouldn't boot. I was running 4gb of memory (2x2gb). It wouldn't boot with both sticks installed. I tried switching the slots and even tried each stick of memory separately. I uninstalled one DIMM of memory and now the computer runs fine, but will not boot with two DIMMs. Each stick alone will allow the computer to boot fine, but both sticks installed results in blank monitor. I'm not sure what to do or what I did as I am sort of a novice. Thanks for any help it is much appreciated.

Specs:

Mobo: M4A78T-E
    CPU: AMD Phenom II 945
    PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W
    VGA: Sapphire Radeon HD4670
    HDD: WD 750GB Caviar Black
    Last edited by RamAir02; 01-19-2010, 08:24 AM.

Just updated the BIOS with the latest version from ASUS website to no avail. Still same problem.

I still can run only on 1x2gb DIMM. When I put the second in I get no screen no boot. It sounds like it goes into a boot loop.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by RamAir02; 01-19-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

GSKILL Tech or anybody? Please I can't figure this out.

Comment

First, try Memtesting your RAM. Memtest the sticks separately. Also, go into the BIOS and set all the RAM to default or auto. Take pictures of the BIOS when 1 stick is in, then try the other and see if anything is different. Just another guess, but maybe your lacking voltage now that you have a stronger fan, maybe your power supply is at it's limit. Try installing your old fan back onto the CPU, see if the RAM works then.

Try these suggestions if you think it might work!

Comment

I got the computer to boot with both sticks (2x2gb) by inserting one stick into slot 1 and the other slot 3 (not next to each other; 1 space in between). The computer was able to boot this way and shows 4gb of ram. I still cannot boot with sticks in the 1 and 2 slots. Ran Memtest86+ with this current config and everything passed. There were no errors found. I set all defaults in the BIOS as well. The voltage should not be a problem. I'm running an Antec Earthwatts 650w PSU. Thanks for the suggestions. If anybody else could be of help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Dude, I'm pretty sure that you NEED to place them on 1 and 3, or 2 and 4. You can't place them right next to each other! I always remembered that by looking at the colors on the RAM slots, mine are in pairs of gray and black.

Comment

Just to make sure we're on the same page here I currently have one stick in the orange and one stick in the black. I used to have both sticks in the orange and everything worked fine until I changed the heatsink.

Comment

Ok, sorry for the confusion. Some motherboards have the pairs right next to each other. So whatever comes in the colored pairs are the ones you need to put the RAM in. Try putting them in the black ones as well. If it only boots if they are not in a pair, it seems like there could be something wrong with the duel channel? Look in CPUZ and try to find a difference with the actual specs on the page you bought your ram.

Comment

Here's some screenshots I took of my CPU-Z readings:

Comment

It says single channel, which I guess it obviously is currently because I have a stick of memory in each color. The timing is 9-9-9-24 but my memory is rated at 8-8-8-24 I believe. How do I go about manually changing this? AMD Overdrive? I couldn't find it in the BIOS.

I can't check CPU-Z results with the memory set up in dual channel (both in orange or both in black) because it will not boot. I just get a blank screen. I'm starting to think I shorted out my mobo or something with one of the metal clips that holds the fan to the heatsink. Help please. LOL.
                    Last edited by RamAir02; 01-21-2010, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Well, the simple way is to leave them as single channel, as it really doesn't make a big difference at all.
                      As for the timings, you will need to set them manually in your BIOS if you want stable RAM.

Your RAM is currently at 9-9-9-24-33 2T
                      Your RAM needs to be at 8-8-8-24-31 2T (1.5 Volts)

It should be somewhere in the BIOS, if your sure don't see anything related to Memory or RAM, then your motherboard could be a limiting one.. (Deal with the timings)

If you really want Duel Channel, look in the BIOS, anything RAM or Memory wise is what you'll be looking for. There could be something in your BIOS that is preventing your computer to start when they are both in the same pair.

Comment

Did you test each one with the rated specifications? If both sticks work fine individually, then you may have a motherboard problem. If one stick is fine while the other is not, then you will have to get the memory exchanged.

Thank you
                        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I called ASUS Tech Support yesterday and they helped me with some information. Apparently they said that with my situation there can only be one issue. The issue is neither with the motherboard nor memory. It appears to be with the Memory Controller Configuration in my processor. They said to swap the processor and it should fix my problem. I don't have a spare processor to try, but I will be contacting AMD to get my Phenom II 945 replaced. I just wanted to thank you JamesWH and GSKILL TECH for your help. It is much appreciated.

Comment

Did you try resetting the CMOS? Should be a jumper on the mobo, the location and instructions will be in your manual. If you have a RAID set up in your system disconnect it before resetting and write down your settings so you can reload them. Doesn't sound like it the MC since it worked before. AS GSkill said you can test each stick individually to see if it's the RAM.
                            Last edited by Tradesman; 01-24-2010, 03:41 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                              Did you try resetting the CMOS? Should be a jumper on the mobo, the location and instructions will be in your manual. If you have a RAID set up in your system disconnect it before resetting and write down your settings so you can reload them. Doesn't sound like it the MC since it worked before. AS GSkill said you can test each stick individually to see if it's the RAM.
                              I already tried resetting the CMOS. First I disconnected power to the computer. Then I removed the battery and moved the jumper. Finally I booted up the computer. I got no screen and manually powered down the computer. I moved the jumper back over and replaced the battery. The computer booted up fine. Did I successfully reset the CMOS?

Is there any way I could have damaged the memory controller in the processor when I was putting on the fan to the heatsink? There are metal clips holding the fan to the heatsink. One of them could have touched the motherboard? I don't know. All I know is everything was working before I switched around the fan. Sh*t!

I tested each stick of RAM individually by first booting up with stick 1 in slot 1. This provided a successful boot. I then removed stick 1 and put stick 2 in its place. This provided a successful boot as well.
                              Last edited by RamAir02; 01-24-2010, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X