New Build Memory Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build Memory Recommendations

I'm building a new system using a P7P55D-E Pro motherboard and I7-860 processor. I wish to populate the system with 8 GB of 1333 or 1600 memory but would like your recommendations as to which parts would work best for my needs.

I don't plan to overclock (other than potentially enabling TurboBoost) and am more interested in a stable 8 GB system than overclocking speed. I will be using this system for Photoshop and Lightroom work and having 8 GB of memory would be very helpful. I am also using the Noctua Heatsink so module height is somewhat important (I can raise the fan on the cooler to give more clearance).

I am currently thinking about the following kits:

G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH
    or
    G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH
    or
    G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Which would best fit my needs? If there a better choice that you can recommend?

Also, I would be interested in any timing suggestions that you might have for whichever module you recommend? I have looked at the bios configuration recommendations but I would still like confirmation of which settings to use for my build.

Finally, I would like confirmation as to whether I can / should run the TurboBoost mode on the 860 processor and what settings I should use to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave Mayfield

Of those listed above I'd go with the F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH, it's a little higher priced (+$30) but having the CL7 instead of CL9 would be nice, also if you decided to drop to 1333 with the kit you should be able to get a real strong CL6 timings set (possibly CL5).

Another option would be go ahead and get 2000 RAM, see link below, this set of Ripjaws is PC3 16000, DDR3 2000, at base CL9, if run at 1600 you could possible go CL6 clean....and it's $5 less a pair than the 1600 sets suggested. Having the additional speed available and the ability to run tighter timings for a little less money makes these sets a real win-win pick.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231281

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions

Tradesman,

Thanks for responding to my email. Your suggestion regarding the DDR3 2000 memory run at 1600 is interesting. Do you have an bios setting suggestions for this type of setup?

I assume that the settings shown in the "F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH + ASUS P7P55D BIOS settings" bios configuration guide would be a good starting point for initial system power up? Then try dropping the dram frequency to 1600 and tighten timing and check that system continue to be stable? Or would it be best to start at 1600 and 9-9-9-24-2T and then test tighter timings?

Also, What at Turbo Boost, Eist and C1e settings. Do you have any recommendations for these regarding what produces the most stable system operation?

I'm going to go ahead and purchase the F3-16000CLD-4GBRH parts. I am hoping to build me new system right before New Years. Any help that you could give me regarding my remaining questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Mayfield

Comment

E1ST and C1E are both power saving options, I nowmally just turn them off on all my builds, it basically powers things down when at idle or low use, but can cause problems if you use sleep mode (another one I turn off), with some video drivers, sound drivers, tv tuners and other things.
        You don't really save much of anything moneywise on electric unless you run yur box 24/7 and seldom use it, then you be looking a a couple bucks or so a month.
        Turbo boost can get complicated to explain, I normally refer people to an Intel White Paper, it's at,

http://download.intel.com/design/pro...ots/320354.pdf

On the RAM, I think, I'd just start right off by manually setting voltage to spec, base timings to 7-7-7-21, command rate 2T and see what happens, I think it should be pretty stable, if so then you can experiment with tighter or looser timings and benchmark as you go.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks again for your help.

Trademan,

Thanks for the additional information. It's been about five years since I built my last machine and things have changed a lot.

I will do some further reading on the power saving features and have downloaded the white paper.

I really appreciate your willingness to answer my questions.

Dave

Comment

Any of those would work fine. I would suggest the G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH since it is the best memory package with Turbo enabled.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

System Build Update:

I purchased the F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH memory as suggested and the work great. I was able to run at DDR-1600 with 7-7-7-21 2T timings with no problems.

Thanks for your help.

Dave Mayfield

Comment

Working...
              X