Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which motherboard for F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

Hi.

I plan on buying a intel core i7 860 (1156 socket) with a 6 gigabit kit of RAM from Gskill.

Firstly, I want to be sure that a 12800 kit is the good choice for a 2.80Ghz processor (I do not plan to OC but the processor support Turbo Boost up to 3.46 Ghz). I understand that I will not benefit from triple channel as it's only available on 1366 sockets.

Second, I still hesitate with two motherboard, one high-end from Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD5 (mainly for the spec : 12 Phases, caloducs, USB3) or with an Asus equivalent P7P55D Deluxe (24 Phases ! but no caloducs) or any other.

Foremost I want a full compatibility with the GSkill 3x2G kit F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ (or higher if applicable).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by sioban; 12-02-2009, 10:32 PM.

Id go with the Gigabyte, but don't think the UD5 has USB 3 built in (may be added in future BIOS upgrade, the UD4P and the newer version of the UD6 have USB 3

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

the UD5 has the USB3 thru a NEC chip, even a SATA3 thru a Marvell chip : http://www.gigabyte.fr/Products/Moth...ProductID=3284

Note the it's the GA-P55A-UD5 not the GA-P55-UD5.

Can you also confirm that 12800 series are coherent with the i7 i860 ?
      Last edited by sioban; 12-04-2009, 01:59 AM.

Comment

That memory package will be compatible with either of those motherboards. You will only be able to use 2 of 3 sticks, otherwise it will operate in single channel mode. With the i860 CPU, you will not need to overclock the processor. Simply set it to the 12 X memory multiplier and that will give you the DDR3-1600.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

You mean I will not able to use the 6 Gbit but only 4 ?
          That's useless.

Do I lose a lot being in single channel ?

Should I go for a 8 Gbit kit (I will be using W7 64bits) in a 4x2 configuration (like the F3-12800CL9D-4GBECO) or I also loose double channel ?

Where I plan to buy I do not see GSkill DDR3 in a 2x4 configuration.

EDIT : The use will mainly be recent games.
          Last edited by sioban; 12-04-2009, 12:51 AM.

Comment

if you would like to choose Core i7 860, we'd recommend you to purchase our dual channel products
            only dual channel products are tested on P55 platform and could reach our guaranteed spec
            if you install triple channel memory on P55 dual channel platform, we don't guarantee it could reach our rated spec
            and we have 4-stick-packed memory for dual channel platform recently, you could take it for consideration
            thanks

G.S

Comment

Ok thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I will take the GA-P55A-UD5 (my mistake for mentioning UD6) with one of these kit :
              - F3-12800CL9D-4GBECO x 2 different pack
              - F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ x 2 different pack

There's no 4x2 packs where I plan to buy (right now, maybe in the future). Does this matter a lot if I buy 2 packs of the same reference ?

As the price difference is only 2?, I think I'll go for the ECO ones, but I just want to be sure they are fully compatible with the motherboard.
              The Gigabytes's RAM QVL is mentioning that the NQ are Dual-Channel compliant in 4 slots, but I have no informations about the ECO.

Thanks.

Comment

2 sets of them should work fine together, just the 4-stick-packed is tested by us to guarantee working together
                ECO series could work fine on this Gigabyte motherboard
                thanks

G.S

Comment

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I'll go for that

Comment

Hi,

I'm back some time later to ask you if you still certify that F3-12800CL9D-4GBECO are fully compatible with Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD5 motherboard ?

I'm asking this because I'm facing some problems (hardware reboot, black screen, etc).

I've tested these scenarii :
                    - another alim = ok
                    - burning test of video card = ok
                    - one memory ram at a time with memtest = ok
                    - two memory ram at a time with memtest = not ok (reboot)
                    - four memory ram at a time with memtest = not ok (freezing)

I'm using the latest Gigabyte bios.

I suspect my motherboard is defect or the memory are not fully compatible (they are not on the Memory Support List of Gigabyte)

So, if you can confirm that there's no problem at all, I will RMA my motherboard.

Thanks.

Comment

I've modified the Bios slightly :
                      - Removed the XMP profile
                      - change the voltage for the ram to 1.5

After that I was able to run a full memtest and ungine benchmark gone a lot further but still to no end.

Any recommendations for BIOS settings ?

Comment

would you like to test your slot.
                        use one stick to test
                        FSB/BCLK :160
                        CPU RATIO:18
                        DRAM FREQUENCY: 1600MHz
                        DRAM VOLTAGE :1.5

Comment

Does these timing correspond to a i7 860 ?
                          Actually my BLCK is set to 133 and the ratio is set to 21.

Do you mean test 1 stick at a time in each of the slots ?

The motherboard is beeping when I use only I bank in one of the blue slots (DDR3_2 & DDR3_4).

Comment

Ok tested that.

Memtest is ok since I've upgraded it (to 4.1 I believe), it's even ok with 4 sticks.

I really think this motherboard is bad...

Any good suggestion for a replacement (Asus ?) is welcome.

Comment

ASUS P7P55D's are very cheap and easy to configure. Enabling XMP Profile should set everything up for you.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X