1800mhz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1800mhz?

I am having to RMA a set of mushkin enhanced redline so I just bought a pair of Gskill model F3-15000CL9D-4GBRH.

Has any one been able to get this memory to run at 1800MHz on this board? I know that the CPU has to be over clocked I am curious as to how much it would take to get it working?
    Also how does running this at 1800mhz compare to 1600mhz at a lower timing?

Below are my system specs.

Mobo :ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 790X
    CPU :AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz
    CPU cooler :COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-LB12-GP 120mm
    PSU :CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V
    Graphics card :SAPPHIRE 100296HDMI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3
    case :COOLER MASTER HAF 932
    Last edited by f22luke; 12-01-2009, 02:19 PM.

Prob best at about 1600-1660, the CPU OCs well should be able to hit 3.6-3.7 anyway. I'd start at stock timings and voltage, command rate 2N at 1600. If good try reducing to CL8 (8-8-8-24)...might be able to hit 7-8-8-23/24....check tRFC, will want 127.5

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

cpu update

I have been messing with my CPU settings. I unlocked the two extra cores making it a quad core now. I had to bump up the voltage to 1.5v and I set the timings to 200 x 18.0 and it appears to be stable (I am running prime95 rite now). So now I have a 3.6 ghz quad core.

I will post memory timings when I get them (cross my fingers) tomorrow.
      Last edited by f22luke; 12-01-2009, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Will be looking forward to hearing the results...and congrats on unlocking the CPU, seems to be a hit or miss thing , you obviously got a good CPU and mobo.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sounds like memory is still DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600. With the host clock at 200, you can't hit DDR3-1800. The processor settings must be proper configured, with a 2:8 memory ratio, CPU Host Clock will need to be at 225 vs. 200 default.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Well it has been a ride.

First UPS let the memory sit in a warehouse for 2 days and then decided that it was supposed to go somewhere and that they should do something about it.

Second it came today and I had mixed impressions first I had read on some forum that the heat sinks on this memory are flimsy. I would describe them as cheap. they are no cool to the touch when they have not be running for a while which tells me that the metal that they are made of is sub par for cooling purposes. Second the heat sinks wobble and move which means that even if they were made of a good material they would not be making enough contact with the chips to do any good.

On a positive note the heat sinks look ok so if the memory dose not get hot I don't have an issue.

Now for the really good stuff. I did it!!! 1800mhz

Cpu set at 225X16 ran stable memory set to 1800mhz 9-9-9-24 1.66v (TRFC on this board can only be set to (160 or 110 ns) tried both and they seemed to work.

HOWEVER on the sixth boot up I got the same problem as with the other set. Random windows components would shut down and continually try to restart (Windows 7). I am ashamed to say it took me a while to diagnose the first time because some people on line claimed that they where having the same symptoms cause by a virus. I finally had a couple memory dumps and the dreaded blue screen of death (This is with the other memory). I tried each dim and found that it happed with one and not the other.
            With the Gskill, as soon as the problems came up I pulled a dim out (after shutting down) and it went away. I have tested both and again it is only one dim. I was running both sets of memory in the blue slots and at factory specks when this happed (actually the Mushkin red line was set to auto which is way below factory specks). Had the memory simply not worked or ran stable I would fault the memory but this seems to be a mother board issue.

What do you all think?

Edit

Forgot to mention that I weeded out a virus with a clean install.
            Last edited by f22luke; 12-04-2009, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Have you tried running the sticks in your other two slots. Sort of assuming you have them in the black slots, have you tried them in the blue ones?

Tman

Comment

Yes I have tried every slot. Asus recommends the blue slots but the manual and the marking on the mother board disagree with each other. One guy on another forum said that he tested both and the black where the fastest but then another guy claimed just the opposite.

This is actually a very large debate on the web which slot to use? Asus knows better than to do something like this. The people who have talked to Asus teck support say that Asus still claims that the blue slots are the best.
                Last edited by f22luke; 12-04-2009, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I guess what I have decided is that I have two sets of faulty memory. They either just went bad or the MOBO eat them for breakfast (although I have not heard of this happening before). I will be sending Gskills back for replacement I am not sure about the MOBO though.

I am looking at three other mother boards

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I like what I have except for the confusing memory slots and the mem problem.

Comment

Could be the CPU can't handle the speed, might try running at 1600 or even 1333 and waiting for a BIOS update...or OC the CPU higher

Tman

Comment

I was able to run the computer fine on one of the dims but when I put the other in it would have all the problems (hangs, windows components shutting down, freezes, mem dumps, crashes, blue screens of death). I don't think it is the CPU. When I was over clocking it I ran prime95's cpu torcher test and it passed every iteration I am not shure how many I did (double digit). That test did not test the memory but just tested the cpu. I was not interested in testing my old memory I knew it had problems.

My main concern is that both dims ran fine I even ran prime95 on my first boot up for half an hour with no problems and then one dim went bad later that same day. It has to be either a faulty dim that could not handle being run at specs or what scares me more is that my mobo mite be damaging one of the dims. The dim that went bad was in the blue slot farthest from the CPU. I did not run the other stick in that slot for an extended period of time for fear that it might go bad too.

I don't know too much about how the motherboard physically works so I am just guessing. Have other people had this memory fail on them in the first day of use?
                      Last edited by f22luke; 12-06-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Do you have a different PSU you could try or able to borrow one for testing - could be the PSU is fluctuating or spiking

Tman

Comment

I have other PSU. The Corsair is the best of the lot. I have been watching the volts pretty carefully especially when I over clocked the CPU. The volts never varied more than a few hundredths of a volt.

Edit

There is another thing that makes me think that it is not the PSU. This board is equipped with on board surge protection. I had it on for most of the time I only turned it off when I was testing various BIOS settings to see if it was a problem (ran fine on or off, with the good dim of mem that is). I also had the system plugged in to a back up battery and voltage regulator so the PSU was getting a steady voltage as well.
                          Last edited by f22luke; 12-06-2009, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X