Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR3-1333_Core i5_MSI-P55-GD65

Hi,

Just bought a new system, assembled from different parts.
    CPU: Core i5
    MB: MSI P55-GD65
    Memory: GSkill F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ 2x2GB
    VideoCard: Saphhire ATI HD5770 1GB
    TVTunerCard: Pinnacle PCTV Analog 110i
    HD: 500GB SeaGate 7200.12.

I was unable to install any OS initially. Either it will hang/crash with random error (not blue screen though) or restart at random points. I tried installing Win7 x64, Vista x64 and Ubuntu x64 editions. I ran a complete test for 7 hrs on the HD using SeaTools and it returned no errors. I even changed my SMPS from CM Extreme 600W to Corsair 550W, since many suggested me that CM Extreme series is not good. I even tried installing by removing TVTuner card.

Then, thought of trying with a single RAM and it got succeeded without errors. I tested the removed RAM with memtest86+ v2.11 which is present in Ubuntu 9.10 bootable CD and found around 700 errors in first few tests itself of first pass.

I installed other drivers that came with MSI, Saphhire and Pinnacle. Ran Windows update and kept the system up to date. After some hours, this installation was throwing random blue screens and will restart. There was no pattern in these occurence. After a day of installation, this became frequent. One of the blue screens pointed out the error PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Then i suspected RAM and checked the remaining 2GB stick which was working fine for a day. Got about 6 errors in first few tests in first pass itself.

I am not OCng. I downloaded and installed latest BIOS available from MSI site. Installed latest available drivers for ATI from AMD site. DRAM voltage is set to auto, i guess its taking 1.5V and the specification 9-9-9-24 is there in BIOS (same as the one specificied in RAM box also).

Since this is a new system, I don't want to consider RAM as problematic directly. So I wanted to know what other possibility might be there like Video Card. MoBo problem etc., Or is it really BAD RAM? Are there any other effective tools than memtest to test and repair RAM if possible? (like Seatools for Seagate HD which actually repairs bad sectors if it can).

Please advice.

Thanks
    Prasanna Ram
    Last edited by vpram86; 12-01-2009, 04:41 AM. Reason: added more details

Try entering the RAM timings manually, along w/ RAM Speed, voltage and Command RATE to 2n or 2T depending on how it shows. Also check tRFC, will prob want at 127.5 (if in "NS" or 68 in clicks.

Also

do you have latest BIOS for mobo

check your system for a virtual drive, may need to create or increase size

check in System INformation to see if anything is identified under Problem Devices in the Component section.

check vCore and set manually (your MC might not be getting enough juice)

may try dropping back a version on your GPU driver (ATI not known for extensive testing before releasing new versions...often rushed)

With newer system, ensure CPU heatsink is well seated and you have enough thermal compound (could be a heat build up issue)

Actually, could be a whole lot more things, but these are where I'd start.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks a lot tradesman!

I started Windows 7 without doing anything after a long shutdown, maybe 10 hours and its stable for about 10 hours, no crashes. But still running with a single RAM.

I have the latest BIOS from MSI. Took the one with very latest date from the site for this mobo.
      I am not understanding virtual drive? Do you mean the ones that got created with Daemon tools etc.,?
      Nothing is identified as a problem device.
      I had problems with two different versions of ATI drivers and also when with Windows default driver!! So will this really be a reason?
      Right now, since its been stable, I installed SpeedFan and monitoring the whole system temperature. Not going above 35 degree celsius. Watched TV for about 2 hours continuously.

I will try to set those BIOS settings. I cannot understand some of the terms. But definitely if i go there and have a look and recall your post, i might get it .

Will post the result after these changes!
      Thanks again!

Comment

Virtual drive or page file
        Start>Control Panel>Performance Information and Tools>Advanced Tools>Adjust the Appearance and Performance of Windows

then in Performance Options go to Advanced which is where you can create or resize the paging file

Also, if problems with the Graphics driver, might pull the card, clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth or foam swab (if you try a q-tip or regular cloth, check the connections closely for bits of lint on the gold connectors. Also blow out the PCI-X slot.
        Last edited by Tradesman; 12-01-2009, 09:34 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Both sticks work fine individually? Make sure Memory Frequency is set to DDR3-1333. Memory timings tCL 7 - tRCD 7 - tRP 7 - tRAS 24 - Command Rate 2. Memory Voltage - 1.50V. With those settings properly set, everything should be running smoothly.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

@Tradesman and GSKILL TECH:
            I added the second RAM as well!
            With both of your guidance, my system is running very stable for around 2 days!! Though i did not start playing any games which might utilize the RAM completely. Will play some games or do some tasks which takes high memory and report back the results
            THanks a lot to you guys!

@Gskill Tech:
            I will test my other RAM seperately today and check if its stable and running for a long time. Now its functioning fine with both in place.

How do i set the frequenc to 1333MHz manually? I am not able to find a direct field for modifying this in BIOS Cell Menu. I am using 'Auto' in memory ratio which says my RAM frequency is 1480MHz. I am not sure which one to modify.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Simply select the memory ratio that sets RAM frequency to 1333MHz.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Hats off!! to both Tradesman and GSkill Tech.

System has been running very stable for around 3 days and i even played a good amount of games with no crashes!!

Thanks a lot again for your help.
                I am planning to order another set GSkill RAM with same specs.

Regards
                Prasanna Ram

Comment

When you get them, your settings should pretty much remain the same - you may have to raise tRFC to 190ish (if in ns) else to about 84 if in clicks

Tman

Comment

@Tradesman: Thanks a lot! What is 'ns' and 'clicks'? My current tRFC is only 88. How should i identify those 'ns' and 'clicks' and change the value accordingly?

Comment

ns is nanoseconds and generally is identified as such by the ns, a number of mobo makers are moving to that way of setting the tRFC (especially AMD boards), The other, I just refer to as 'clicks' is actually the tRFC (Row Refresh Cycle Time, which is basically a mandatory delay to ensure cycle is refreshed. Yours is in the (to me) regular fashion, and actually 88 should be fine for 4 sticks, you could prob drop it to somewhere between 62-68 with only the 2 sticks, but it wouldn't increase performance any that you would ever notice...it's primarily used as a stabilizing setting, if it's to low it can cause BSOD's and going to high can drag performance a bit. It's sort of a fine line to try and play w/, and can be time consuming, to really fine tune, say a gaming system or high performance workstation it might be worth playing with but for 95+ % of users, it's not really worth messing with if you're stable.

Tman

Comment

@Tradesman: Thanks a lot a detailed explanation.

I get random BSODs while working/playing. Errors are related to MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, SERVICE_**, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED-AREA etc.,

I ran memtest86+ on each RAM separately and it showed errors on both. Does it mean RAM is having problems?

When I am inside the OS, i get crashes less frequently. But if i shutdown for a long time (greater than 2 hrs maybe) and restart i get one of these errors continuously and only after various restart attempts, startup repairs, and checking all manual connections for about 30 minutes it stabilizes and runs. I am not sure if this is a loose-connection problem. When i press all components, they seems to be in right fit.

I got this with both RAMs in place and also tested with each RAM individually also. It took a while for me to observe this behavior.

Thanks for any help in advance!
                        Last edited by vpram86; 01-04-2010, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X