• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI 5.x

Hello,

I just got a Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI 5.x
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/t-s...t.php?S_ID=445

I will be using an Intel i7 860 2.80GHz processor with this motherboard.

I would like to know what model(s) of your DDR3 you would suggest for this board?

I did already order some [ Ripjaws ] F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM .
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=243
    But I would like to know if you think that the F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM was a good choice. Or if you think there is a better Gskill memory for this motherboard/CPU combo.

The Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI 5.x specifications are:
    CPU SUPPORT
    Intel? Core™ i7 LGA 1156 Processor
    Intel? Core™ i5 LGA 1156 Processor
    Maximum CPU TDP (Thermal Design Power) : 95Watt

POWER DESIGN
    4 -phase CPU power
    2 -phase VTT power
    2 -phase DRAM power

MEMORY
    Support Dual Channel DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600(OC)/1866(OC)/2000(OC) MHz
    4 x DDR3 DIMM Memory Slot
    Max. Supports up to 16GB Memory
    Last edited by g725s; 11-30-2009, 09:09 PM.

The Ripjaws are a good choice, if I were to offer any other suggestion it would just be to go with faster sticks...even then unless you plan on OCing, you'd prob want to run them at 1600 untill such time that the BIOS gets upgraded to where 1800 or 2000 isn't considered as OC Ram

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So I understand your saying that I could even use DDR3 with a higher clock speed than the DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800) Gskill I just ordered. And then I'd be prepared if they updated the BIOS to run them as if not OC'd. I've been reading around at a couple of different forums and it sounds like higher speed memory can always be run at lower clock speeds.

Memory specfication for my Biostar motherboard are:
      Support Dual Channel DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600(OC)/1866(OC)/2000(OC) MHz

Just curious, is it typical that when a higher clock speed RAM is used in a lower speed that the voltage is also lowered? What is the relationship of voltage to clock speed?
      Last edited by g725s; 11-30-2009, 10:31 PM.

Comment

You can generally lower the voltage some, which doesn't really matter all that much, the big thing is if you buy the faster DRAM say 2000/2200 it will normally be stock w/ timings of 9-9-9-24/27 or so, the key here is that the sticks are stronger/more powerful...whatever, as they are designed for the higher speeds, so at a lower speed, say 1600 you can drop the CL and tighten down the timings to 7-7-7-21 or even CL6 range which greatly improves the overall performance at the lower (1600) speed, sometimes even outperforming the RAM at it's base speed of 2000 or whatever. (I know it doesn't really sound like it makes sense, but that's the way it is)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the insight. Too late now though. I already received the DRAM I mentioned in my first post. I'm going to give that a try for starters.

Comment

Have fun with it, any problems give us a shout

Tman

Comment

Simply use the 12 X memory multiplier and that should give you the DDR3-1600. Set memory timings to tCL 7 - tRCD 7 - tRP 7 - tRAS 24 - Command Rate 2. Memory Voltage 1.65V

Once that is complete everything should be running smoothly.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

you say 1.65v on the voltage. All the specs I read say 1.6v. I have read that 1.65v is the max Intel recommends for this line of processors. I had read the specs as 7-8-7-24 and 1.6v.

I'm not familiar with the 12 X memory multiplier, I'll have to research that one.

Also what setting would you recommend if I were wanting 1333 clock speed?
                Last edited by g725s; 12-04-2009, 06:33 AM.

Comment

1.60V will be fine.

Depending on the BIOS, it may not show 12 X memory multiplier, it may just show the actual DDR3 frequency. You just have to know that the 860 CPU has a max of 12 X, so if you keep the BCLK at 133 (default), you can simply set the memory at DDR3-1600 without having to adjust the processor settings.

With the 750 CPU for example, you can only get up to DDR3-1333 without adjusting processor settings since it only has a 10 X memory multiplier.

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Very helpful to know this. Thanks!

Comment

Could you explain why you are suggesting slightly different values than what the dram specs say?
                      The specs are 7-8-7-24 1.6v
                      and you are suggesting 7-7-7-24 1.65v
                      just curious.
                      Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X