Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD7 with

Hi,

I'm looking at buying the new GigaByte GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard and just wanted to check that the GSKILL F3-17600CL8D-4GBPS or F3-17600CL9D-4GBPS would be suitable even though it was designed for an x55 system..?

Also, if I bought two sets would the RAM Cooler fit them all underneath it? The board has 6 slots I think...

Thanks
    Last edited by Dunceantix; 11-30-2009, 01:27 PM.

This is with an Intel i7 920 as well btw

Comment

Any ideas anyone cos it's the only thing preventing me from buying my system at the moment?

Comment

My guess would be that 4GB would work without too much trouble (will require a decent system OC and a fair bit of tweaking, wouldn't count on 8GB though, but that's just an opinion (not sure if the 920 with current BIOS maturity could carry 8GB at 2200 through the MC)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your reply Tradesman... On that basis I probably will go for it... it's either that or buy cheaper 1333 RAM instead....

Comment

You can also always cut the speed and drop the CL, which might actually offer a hair better performance

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

They will work, but the X58 platform requires triple channel, not dual channel. So if you have 2 sticks it will only operate in single channel. If you use 3 sticks out 4 of two sets that would work in triple channel mode, but then you have one stick extra. If you purchase 3 sets, that would give you the correct amount, but the motherboard will then be unable to reach full rated speed on the memory package you are interested in.

I would suggest one of the DDR3-2000 memory packages available such as the Trident series.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for your reply...

Being a bit nieve here, but the board specifications suggest it supports 1333 and 2200... Will 2000 be ok for it?

Comment

Yes, you will simply need to set the BCLK and memory multiplier correctly so that memory frequency equals DDR3-2000.

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

So I have already made the mistake of buying the 2200 RAM for the Gigabyte mobo. I'm a bit of a noob at this, so I'm curious why I will be unable to reach the full potential of this RAM. The MB was advertised to support 2200 RAM, so I'm curious where I made my mistake. Is the RAM voltage the incompatible factor? It's currently running at 1333 and would like to get as much speed out of the RAM as possible. Should I return the RAM? Can I overclock it safely to reach the advertised speeds? What is the math required to figure out the BCLK and multiplier settings needed? Can I safely tweak RAM voltages (1.5v>1.64v) and multipliers until I get as close to the rated speed as possible? (2133?)

I am currently running at triple channel 3 or 4 stick modes, but was hoping to use all 6 slots if I can get them running at full potential.
                    Last edited by jlarimore; 12-07-2009, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Looking at this image, as far as I understand it, when running 3 memory modules in triple channel mode they all have a channel to themselves. When you then run 6 memory modules 2 modules are sharing each channel which is why the speed is then decreased the more you slots you use. (I think that's right, someone correct me if i've misunderstood)

As for the timing to get the RAM to perform to it's correct speeds, I can't help you there i'm afraid as i've not got that far myself
                      You should be able to get 3 sticks to perform at the advertised speeds though with some tweaking I suspect..

Thanks

Dunce

Comment

jlarimore,

Which motherboard did you purchase? Look in the DDR3 BIOS Configuration guide section for your motherboard and you will see the new BIOS revisions for DDR3-2000+ on Gigabyte motherboards. You no longer have to worry since they are working hard to allow DDR3-2000+ memory packages.

With the correct settings you should have no issues. The necessary BIOS settings are also in the BIOS Configuration Guide for your motherboard. Simply set all memory settings to the memory package's rated specifications.

Let us know if you continue to have issues.

Thank you
                        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I purchased the GA-X58A-UD7 which was advertised to support DDR3-2200 RAM. I'll check out the BIOS Configuration Guide and try to set the memory settings manually. I'll also keep looking for BIOS updates that I imagine might configure my RAM automagically. Thank you for your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                          X