Planning Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P

Hi. I bought a computer at the start of this year choosing components with less consideration. Just simple and economical, later upgrades in mind.

Now I have been trying to choose DDR3 and a SSD drive from the vast possibilities. I have been trying to understand the whole system so as to find and eliminate bottlenecks. Also trying to avoid overkill where its waste of money. I also want to avoid any problems with compatibility and configuration.

Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    Phenom II x4 965 BE 125W
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 1G RAM

I need help in choosing new DDR3 2x2G or 2x4G AND a SSD drive. I play World of Warcraft with lots of addons, and the gameplay is not best possible with 2x2G DDR-1333 and IDE drive currently. Also my current processor is a 2,6MHz phenom II. Upgrading that processor to the above mentioned one. Also current 1333 memory can be discarded if there is grounds to get faster instead.

I am confused about the processors being 1333MHz max FSB and motherboards and memories reaching 1666MHz, 2Ghz and above. I want to overclock moderately later, without endangering the hardware too much.

Same kind of questions bother on the SSD drive choosing issue too.

Without confusing you any more with my own thoughts, I ask what DDR3 and SSD I should choose?

I want:

1. No problems with configuring
    2. Stability, reliability
    3. Maximum performance

I use windows 7 x64, and SSD drive would be for the OS and WoW-game. I have SATA drives for other stuff.

Could you also explain reasons for your choises.

Thank you

Couple of observations first, you mention running 2x2 1333 currently which shouldn't really be a bottleneck for the system/gaming so for RAM your best bet would probably be to upgrade to 8GB and use the same stick model as what you have for compatability....with that said, I'd initially hold off on the RAM upgrade until after you upgrade the CPU to the 965, the CPU should clear the perceived bottleneck from that end. And when you OC it will clear even more..

Your other big problem currently is if your running on and IDE drive as you say, if indeed it's and IDE, then it's definitely a bottleneck, if you have a SATA drive available, you could try it on that and see how things go, many gamers are more than happy with straight SATA II and an option would be to get a Velociraptor (more GB per dollar over SSDs).

But, if you are going with an SSD, I'd first recommend it be strictly for your OS and Games/primary apps, keep all secondary apps, data files, temp files, etc on your secondary drives. As far as a recommendation, I'd have to have a rough idea of what type budget your looking at and size of the SSD you might be interested in (loading OS, some primary apps and games you could get by with a 60GB (Vertex maybe), but for the same price or less , as an example, you could grab a 300GB 10,000 RPM Velociraptor, which would provide a lot more latitude in your box for now and for the future.

Oh, check your Personal messages
    Last edited by Tradesman; 11-23-2009, 06:39 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Take care of business the right way.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...400%20-%20$500

Thank you
      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
      X