• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8GB F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH on Asus p7p55 Deluxe

Hi,
    I have a big problem here
    I have 8 GB of F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH (4 * 2GB) installed on Asus p7p55Deluxe
    the problem is that I was never able to run the PC with 8 GB of memory. It is always under all kind of configuration give me that total memory is 4GB only.
    I don't care too much about speed I just want to run the whole 8 GB ram on the system even under lower speeds than the specs.

My findings is that only Dimm slots A1,B1 are active and it seems the system ignore the ram in slots A2,B2 .

after reading on the net it seems the problem is that the CPU does not support more than 1 ram module with speed of 1600 per channel but even if i tried to lower the speed to even 1066 it still does not detect the 8GB and only detect 4 GB.

the BIOS is latest version 0915
    and the processor is i7 860 2.8 GHz

other tests
    1- tried to run the system with each module alone and all of them are working ok
    2- i tried all possible combinations of arranging the modules in slots but with no success
    3- I can run the ram correctly on XMPS (i am not sure of the name) (ram specs) and it will run smoothly and pass linux memtest

any help would be very appreciated

thanks

Are you running 64bit OS? If 32 that's part of it. To bypass the 1 DIMM per channel you'll have to drop the speed to maybe 1033 or so....if you do you should be able to tighten the timing quite a bit to improve performance.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

yes I am runnung ubuntu 64 bit
      i tried to lower the memory speed in the bois to 1333 and even 1066 and the result always the same only 4GB of the ram is seen by the system in the BOIS and OS

thanks for your help

Comment

Might try at 900 or 800, if it sees all the sticks then you can really tighten down the timings and regain the loss you have from decreasing the speed.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Try reseating the memory, making sure to firmly press down. Switch to the other slots to see if it will give you different results.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Hi

I am sorry for the delay

I tried the following
            ddr-800
            ddr-1066
            ddr-1333

both on munualy and auto overclocking settings with no success

am I missing something
            is there something that i should enable to run the 8 GB

thanks

Comment

Simply send those in for a new replacement set and hopefully everything will work properly.

Please keep us updated on the results.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

do i have to send the whole 8 GB or just send 4 GB
                and if i have to send the whole 8 Gb can i send them in 2 patches (so that i will have my PC working untill the replacment done)

thanks

Comment

You can simply send in the defective sticks.

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by aliali View Post
                    Hi

I am sorry for the delay

I tried the following
                    ddr-800
                    ddr-1066
                    ddr-1333

both on munualy and auto overclocking settings with no success

am I missing something
                    is there something that i should enable to run the 8 GB

thanks
                    Memory Remap needs to be enabled.

Comment

yeah it is enabled already

thanks for the tip

i really appreciate it

Originally posted by gpb500 View Post
                      Memory Remap needs to be enabled.

Comment

Baffling problem you have there. I'm running the same board with 8GB (4x2GB) without problem...and even when I had a bad stick it still showed 8GB. And even MEMTEST reports only 4GB? And you're sure you've inserted the memory properly? It takes quite a bit of force. Since this board only has one clip, I fully insert the side with the clip first until it locks THEN push in the other side. I found that doing it in reverse will cause the unlatched side to raise up slightly. Pushing both in at the same time takes more force, so I've resorted to easing one side in at a time.

MEMTEST reports 4GB when you have 4 sticks installed AND when you have 2 sticks installed? And shuffling the sticks around doesn't change the problem? So you have no idea which sticks are causing a problem? I wonder if you have a bad board...no idea. Good luck.

PS - You might try reducing DRAM voltage some as when I run my memory (DDR3-2000) at spec voltage (1.65) it is not stable at all (1.585 works perfectly and I get speed and stability). And verify you are using auto voltage for everything else. I noticed the asus board wanted to add voltage to the DRAM when I was tinkering with the settings and moved it all the way to 2v but hopefully that's been fixed in some of the weekly BIOS releases. You sure you aren't running 4 x 1GB sticks?

Comment

Working...
                        X