Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggested settings for F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK x4 (8GB total) + Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry LotsaBS, I tryed to help you out with my settings , sorry that didnt help you. There must be a new G.Skill dude because the other guy would of been right there really trying to help you and jump thru hoops to get your rig going , this guy I dont think he can find his usb if it were in his hand. Hopefully. tradsman will help you , his knows his stuff.
    Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
    AMD Phnome 2x4 955 Black 3.6GHz (O.C)
    G.Skill 16Gig (4x4Gig)DDR3 1333 Dual ch.F3-10666CL7Q RIPJAWS-X
    XFX HD4870 1GB 256Bit DDR5
    CORSAIR 850tx 850Watt Power Supply
    Cooler Master HAF932 ATX Case
    Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
    Samsung DVD Burner Sata W/DL/lightscribe
    Pioneer DVD burner USB W/DL/Lightscribe
    2-WD 250 Gig HD
    1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Comment

RQuallsJR: Thanks for trying, I really do appreciate your efforts. Sooner or later I hope I will get to the bottom of this.

It is interesting however, that this type of problem is not unique. Over the last few days, in other forums, I have seen many, many others having similar problems. Even here on the GSkill forum there are many posters that are attempting to run 4 sticks of ram at the rated speeds with little or no success. Interesting that I own 1333 ram and cant run it stable unless I slow it to 1066 and others are having similar issues with 1600 ram that has to be dropped down to 1333 to be stable...

I am not just blaming GSkill either. There are plenty of other memory manufacturers having the same problems. The commonality seems to be the newer AMD platforms and maybe the integrated memory controller.

I am still open to any suggestions or settings that have worked for others.

Gigabyte MA-790FXT-UD5P
      AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE
      8GB GSkill Ram F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK (4 x 2GB sticks)
      Radeon 4850 HD x2
      (2) WD 640GB Sata Hard Drives
      Vista 64 (virtualbox host machine)
      Windows XP Pro 32 (virtualbox guest machine)
      Linux (virtualbox guest machine)
      yada, yada, yada...

Comment

in fact, we have already worked on that for a period time
        but the bottleneck is AMD memory controller
        however, running with 4 sticks makes the loading much heavier than running with 2 sticks
        so, it's much more difficult to run with 4 sticks than with 2
        that's why we only gurantee for 2 dimms in dual channel could run at our rated spec(exclude some 4-stick packed items)
        increasing FSB or northbridge voltage may improve the stability while running 4 sticks, but it's not effective every time
        if it still can't work with 4 sticks at rated spec, please try to downgrade the frequency a little or set the CAS Latency higher
        thanks

G.S

Comment

Thank you. I have tried all of those options previously (review my previous posts). Although I do not (never have) have problems booting, my machine will BSOD frequently at any settings I have tried at 1333. I guess that if I want stability I will continue to run my ram at 1066 for the time being until the memory controller issues are worked out.

Please understand that I am NOT blaming GSkill and realize that this is a problem for all memory manufacturers working with the new AMD platforms. Please continue to work with the mobo manufacturers and AMD so maybe someday soon they can give us a bios update or something that will eliminate the problems.

Of course, I am open to any other suggestions from GSkill or other users that have had success running 4 sticks of ram in dual channel.

Thanks again.

Comment

LOtsaBS , There is a new bios update Just came out today F8g Its a beta but worth a try, Rob
            Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
            2-WD 250 Gig HD
            1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD

Comment

I was reading through this thread and noticed several of you have disabled the Cool n Quiet feature for your boards. I have an ASUS board for AMD, the M4A79XTD EVO and it of course has this feature also.

I'm just wondering what issues it can cause by having it on? What reasons would I want to turn this off?

TIA

Comment

Thanks, but I can't seem to find it on the Gigabyte site. Still only showing F7. Can you give me the link? If so, I'll try it.

Gigabyte MA-790FXT-UD5P
                AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE
                8GB GSkill Ram F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK (4 x 2GB sticks)
                Radeon 4850 HD x2
                (2) WD 640GB Sata Hard Drives
                Windows 7 (virtualbox host machine)
                Windows XP Pro 32 (virtualbox guest machine)
                Linux (virtualbox guest machine)
                yada, yada, yada...

Comment

bna180: Cool n Quiet is usually disabled if one is overclocking their CPU. If enabled, it can cause (but not always) cause problems. Many who overclock, but would like to use similar power saving features use a utility called Phenom MSR Tweaker. Google it look at one of my previous posts in this thread, I think I put a link to it. Using it, one can set the bios multiplier at "auto" then create your own "power profile" which can include a power saving low multiplier and voltage setting as well as a higher (overclocked) multiplier and voltage setting.

Comment

RQuallsJR: Saw where AMD recently released the new 120W Phenom II x4 965 (it is replacing the 140W version). One of the improvements to this new stepping is that the memory controller is quote "now able to function properly with 4 sticks of DDR3 ram in dual channel at 1333Mhz".....Guess that means that the C2 steppings (all prior Phenom II's?) never were meant to handle 4 sticks of DDR3 at 1333Mhz???

Comment

Bios Update F8C http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=3005
                      Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
                      2-WD 250 Gig HD
                      1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD

Comment

Maybe thats what the new bio update taks care of ? it says 1. Beta BIOS
                        2. Add CPU Core Control option. Maybe thats what the CPU core control option is? To bad they dont do release notes on there updates.
                        Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
                        2-WD 250 Gig HD
                        1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD

Comment

Thx, I was on the gigabyte us site...it's not posted there yet. Used your link, downloaded and updated to F8C. Looks like the CPU Core Control option is an enhancement to ACC. Not sure what is does or doesnt do...will have to research and try. Thanks

Comment

LotsaBS , Any luck yet with your Memory Problem? You may have to rma the Motherboard, I heard on another site that there was a bad batch of boards that went out right before they started sending them out with the F5 bios. If you had the F5 bios on your board when you bought it it should be ok. It just might be the memory. but if you had a older bios like F1 thru F3 you might of gotten one of the bad boards. Let me know when you get it running good.
                            Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
                            2-WD 250 Gig HD
                            1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD

Comment

What site did you see this? To answer your question, no, I havnt been able to get my system to run stable on 4 sticks unless I downclock to 1066Mhz. I'm still more prone to believe that the onboard memory controller on the CPU is the issue, but at this point I will investigate anything...

Thanks

Comment

I read at many fourms its hard to remember, It was at the ATI fourm I think if not could of been at the newegg fourm, ill have to do some back tracking, when I find it ill let you know..
                                Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
                                2-WD 250 Gig HD
                                1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD

Comment

Working...
                                X