Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggested settings for F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK x4 (8GB total) + Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested settings for F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK x4 (8GB total) + Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

When I first built this machine (specs below), I used only 4GB ram (2 sticks), but have recently upgraded to 8GB (4 sticks). When the CPU and memory are at stock "auto" settings (board put it at 9-9-9-24 at 1333mhz-1.6v) I get frequent BSODs after the increase to 8GB. When I was using only 4gb I manually set ram at 8-8-8-21 (all other settings on auto-1.6v) and did not have this problem-machine was very stable. I have tried increasing Ram, NB and SB/HT voltages and even relaxing the timings looser than 9-9-9-24, but continue to get the frequent BSOD's.

I have finally resorted to manually dropping the ram back to 1066mhz and now the board's auto settings currently show the ram at 8-8-8-20 at 1066mhz. My machine has been stable now for 3 days.

I have run memtest and windows memory checker and neither shows any problem with the memory. Random BSOD's continue and Prime 95 and OCCT will either drop a core due to an error or BSOD if the ram is running 1333. As mentioned above, if I drop the timing back to 1066mhz I can run P95 or OCCT without error and my random BSOD's stop.

I am starting to think that the for some reason the memory controller can't handle the 8GB of ram unless I really slow it down to 1066.

What do I need to do to get my machine stable at 1333 with 8GB?

Phenom II x3 720 BE (3 cores and not overclocked or over-volted)
    8GB GSkill F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK (2 matched pairs)
    Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P with F6 Bios

running with 4 sticks do make memory controller loading heavier than running with 2 sticks
    how much voltage did you set in BIOS?
    would you like to try to increase to 1.5v?
    thanks

G.S

Comment

The bios has always defaulted to 1.6v. I have tried settings of 1.65 and finally 1.7v. Neither took care of the problem. As mentioned in my 1st post, over the last few weeks I have also tried increasing NB, SB/HT, CPU and CPU NB VID voltages as well. The BSOD's continued as well as stress test failures. However, Although, I am fairly certain this is a memory issue, I have never had a memory error when testing with Windows Memory Checker or Memtest86...Don't know if this may be a hint but note that both of these run from a clean boot and I believe use their own stripped down OS to run, (they dont boot to the standard Windows OS).

The only thing that has seemed to work so far is to slow the memory down to 1066. Again, as I mentioned before, the bios auto setting at 1066 sets the speeds down to 8-8-8-20 1T. Since I have done that, my machine seems very stable (going on 4 days now).

I can duplicate the problems over and over within an hour if I simply put that ram back at 1333.

What is odd is that when running only 2 sticks (4GB) I could run at 1333, 8-8-8-21 2T at 1.6v with no problems.

I am running Vista 64, and will upgrade to Win 7 professional, but until I have this problem taken care of I am reluctant to do so.

Comment

I have The same board and Memory and running 8 gigs. Try this first update to the f7 bios.
        EC firmware selections=Hybrid
        set all to auto down to Dram configration.
        set memory clock =Auto
        Memory clock= x6.66 1333mhz
        Dcts mode = unganged
        DDR3 timings Idems = manual (set these numbers all the way down)
        2t
        5t
        160ns
        160ns
        160ns
        160ns
        10t
        5t
        33t
        4t
        Leave the rest at auto. For voltage only change the following. DDRvoltage=1.65 SB/HT=1.40v
        I have used this setup for over 2 months and not had even a burp in my system. I hope this helps Rob.
        Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
        AMD Phnome 2x4 955 Black 3.6GHz (O.C)
        G.Skill 16Gig (4x4Gig)DDR3 1333 Dual ch.F3-10666CL7Q RIPJAWS-X
        XFX HD4870 1GB 256Bit DDR5
        CORSAIR 850tx 850Watt Power Supply
        Cooler Master HAF932 ATX Case
        Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
        Samsung DVD Burner Sata W/DL/lightscribe
        Pioneer DVD burner USB W/DL/Lightscribe
        2-WD 250 Gig HD
        1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD
        Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Comment

Thanks, I will give it a try. I have experimented with increased voltages previously, but the problems persisted. But I don't know if I ever used the exact combination you are having success with. Regarding the bios, I happened to update to the F7 bios about the same time I added the addl memory, so I initially assumed it was the bios and downgraded it back to F6. Never put it back. I noticed you have the EC firmware set at Hybrid. Did you enable ACC and unlock your 4th core? I did at one time several months ago, but it wasnt stable () so I disabled the Hybrid firmware as well as ACC. I have been running stock at 3 cores since. I also noticed that your SB/HT is also at 1.4v, I assume that you don't have any overheat problems? I think that is the max voltage the bios will allow.

I have been asked in other forums why I am running 8GB...I use VirtualBox virtualization software to run other guest OS's (Windows XP Pro and Linux) sometimes simultaineously. When I do, I dedicate 2GB of ram to each virtualized OS. With 8GB onboard, this leaves 4GB for my primary host OS.

Eventhough the performance difference is probably small, like you, I paid a more for DDR3 1333 over 1066. I would like to be able to run it at that speed if possible.

Thanks

Comment

Oops, just realized you're already running a Phenom II x4 (4 cores). I assumed you were using a 3 core, Phenom II x3 720 like me. Guess you didnt ever need to "unlock" another core. If you can however, that would really make the newz!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, do you have ACC enabled? If so, is it set to auto, all cores or per core and if so, what is the per core % set at?

Comment

ACC is set to all cores, Cool And Quiet is disabled. Your F6 bios is good I didnt see any difference in F7. Really what I did is just set to optimized defaults and set up my computer as needed Turned of things I dont use like floppy and some ports and usb keyboard You know . then set up the MIT according to the settings in this post. No over heating at all CPU temp is about 80degrees F. and stays there. case temp is about the same . video card runs around 118 degrees F. Hope this helps you. If you need more info let me know and ill do what I can . If I cant TRADESMAN is really good So is the G.Skill Tec. They helped me out a great deal. Rob.
                Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
                2-WD 250 Gig HD
                1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD

Comment

LotsaBS. Why do I run 8 gigs of Ram? Because I have a Great motherboard and It will run it. And If I could afford it I would run the 16Gig set 4x4. P.S. If you disable cool and Quiet dont forget to adjust your fan settings in the PC Health section and you can make adjustments to your fans in the ET6 program.
                  Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
                  2-WD 250 Gig HD
                  1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD

Comment

Thanks. I will try your suggestions tonite. BTW, I do have cool n quiet disabled and instead use a program called Phenom MSR Tweaker:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=220185

There is also a modded version out there with 3 settings instead of 2. Works very well and can be configured as a service in Windows.

Comment

I tried your settings tonite. Tried with ACC enabled as well as disabled because with my 720BE, enabling ACC and Hybrid EC also enables my unstable 4th core. Sadly, neither worked as under stress testing I encountered errors and shortly afterwords I got another BSOD with either 3 or 4 cores-didn't seem to matter. For now the only stability I have is at 1066. Currently, at 1066, auto memory settings do tighten the timings to 8-8-8-20 with tRC at 27 clocks and CR at 1T. At least my system is stable for now, but I would sure like to be able to run the mem at 1333...

Earlier I read on another forum another Gigabyte mobo user was having similar problems and he claimed that Gigabyte tech support told him that the 750SB memory controller currently can't support 8GB at over 1066 reliably if the 8GB was made up of 4 x 2GB sticks in dual channel. However, he went on to say that Gigabyte tech says that the system supposedly can handle 8GB with 2 x 4GB sticks, but as far as I know that isnt even avaliable at this time...

Don't know what to believe at this point...

I think you are one of the lucky ones.

GSkill tech- any suggestions or comments???

Comment

What are you voltages and timings set at for 8GB? Post them up so I can get an idea of what you have changed, otherwise right now you're switching back and forth with different settings, it's follow what you have done or not.

This motherboard should be able to handle 8GB @ DDR3-1333.

Thank you
                        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Most recently I tried the suggested settings posted by RQualls above:

Memory clock= x6.66 1333mhz
                          Dcts mode = unganged
                          DDR3 timings
                          2t
                          5t
                          160ns
                          160ns
                          160ns
                          160ns
                          10t
                          5t
                          33t
                          4t
                          DDRvoltage=1.65
                          SB/HT=1.40v
                          I even tried the above and bumped NB to 1.4v with no success either

I have also tried 1333 @ 9-10-10 tRAS 25, tRC 34, CR 2T(this didnt work either)

This is a gigabyte MA-790FXT-UD5P with a Phenom II x3 720 BE on 3 cores. I have updated the bios now from F6 to F7 as well.

Here are my current 1066 settings that appear to be stable-this is pulled from CPU-Z:

Dram Freq=537.1 MHZ (x2=1074.20) This is the result of 1066 "auto" in the bios. Appears that the FSB although set at 200 in bios is actually 201.41 if that matters.
                          Dual Channel
                          Unganged
                          NB Freq 2014.2 MHZ
                          DRAM Freq 537.1 MHZ
                          FSB Dram 3.8
                          8-8-8 tRAS 20, tRC 27, CR 1T
                          1.6v (auto setting-mobo will not go any lower)

I have not attempted changing the FSB frequency any higher or lower and left the CPU multi at auto which results in 14x

Comment

Try testing each memory module individually to make sure you do not have a bad one.

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I have done that previously with both Windows Vista memory checker as well as memtest. Tried individual modules as well as the 2 matched pairs individually. No errors in any case. Remember also that I can run individual modules or matched pairs of 2 (4GB) and not have BSOD problems. Stress tests with OCCT and Prime95 pass as well, as long as I dont load up all 8GB (unless I crank the timing down to 1066). So far 1066 seems to be my only stable option.

You may have seen that on another forum (can't remember which one) that someone else was having similar problems and contacted Gigabyte Tech. Gigabyte supposedly responded saying that the memory controller may not always reliably be able to handle 4 sticks and recommended 2 sticks of 4GB. I dont think that configuration is even available at this time.

This prob does not seem limited to Gigabyte boards, as I have seen where some other mobo enthusiasts complain as well.

Are you aware of this supposed memory controller issue? If there really is an issue here, is GSkill in a position to work with Gigabyte, Asus, AMD and others to help resolve the problem?

I really hope that this controller issue is simply a made-up bunch of crap, and that you can direct me to correct stable settings!

Comment

Working...
                              X