Not stable at correct speed. F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH & Asus M4177TD Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not stable at correct speed. F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH & Asus M4177TD Pro

I recently built a new computer, and I'm having trouble getting the memory to run at the correct speed on this new machine.

I would consider myself moderate in knowledge in this area, so you might have to explain stuff a little more than your normal forum users, sorry. I wound up learning a lot and doing a ton of research for this new machine and parts.

Here is the computer specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4, Black Edition, 3.2GHz (AM3 Socket)
    Mobo: Asus M4A77TD Pro, AM3+, DDR3 (Bios updated to newest bios as of a few days ago)

Currently running Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)

The memory I'm trying to get working are the G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) (Model: F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH)

In order to run stable at the moment I have the cards set to 1333MHz, 1.65 volt, and 9,9,9,24 timing.

I would really like to get these to the 1.5v and 7,7,7,21 they are supposed to run at.

I've been reading these forums and I noticed that people were saying that the Northbridge voltage should be 1.5v for it to run properly, but I can NOT figure out how to change that in the Bios.

Here are the screens in my Bios:

CPU Settings:

Memory Settings:

I can't even tell what my NB voltage is for sure, but I am able to get some more info in the AMD Overdrive program. Screens below.

When I have the memory set to 7,7,7,21 and 1.5v it crashes in Prime95 within 20 seconds. Currently at the 9,9,9,24 and 1.65v it has had no problems.

If anyone can help me figure out what I'm missing to get this to run full speed, I would REALLY appreciate the help.

Thank you.

North Bridge is under the Chipset heading and load your base settings, DRAM voltage manually, Command rate to 2T

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hey Tradesman, thanks for the response.

I'm sorry my knowledge is lacking a bit more than most of these forum users probably, so if you don't mind can you give me a little more detail?

I'm not quite sure you mean "North Bridge is under the Chipset heading" - unless you are referring to "RX780 Voltage"? Where else do you mean?

I've currently got the Command rate to 2, and the DRAM voltage manually set to 1.5. What else should I change on these screen to get 7,7,7,21 timings to run stable?

Thanks, sorry again for being a little slow.

Comment

It's got nothing to do with being slow, even across the board in say ASUS mobos, the BIOS setups will vary from board to board, I'll look it up but I think it's advanvanced settings>chipset> and then under either NorthBridge or NB voltage. I'll look and get back in a bit

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Here's what I have in that section.

There's an "Advanced", and within there's Chipset Configuration, with a Northbridge section and something related to the graphics card.

However following these in I don't see anything voltage related. Perhaps I'm missing the obvious.

Thanks for any help you can provide, I really appreciate it.

Comment

My fault entirely, I've been thinking of a different board, sorry bout that...try adding some extra juice to the CPU...don't know why but I was thinking of an Intel board.

Tman

Comment

So am I not able to increase the northbridge voltage then?

Can you be a bit more specific on what "adding more juice" to the CPU entails please? Specifically which setting on those screens, and to what new setting? I don't dare change much outside the timings without some guidance for fear of frying something!

Thanks

Comment

Under advanced> jumper free config> CPU overvolt there should be the options for AUTO, Normal, +50MV, +100mv ttry it first at Normal, if it doesn't help then try +50MV

Tman

Comment

This morning I tried to increase the CPU over voltage.

The "CPU Over Voltage" menu allows me to increase the volts by .00625v increments. I simply turned it off auto and to the very first option (1.05000), changed my memory timings to 7,7,7,21 but the computer won't even boot with that voltage change.

Was that not the right voltage adjustment perhaps?

Comment

Oh, I should add - these sticks passed Memtest without any issues.

Comment

Well I just realized that the memory runs stable at 7,7,7,21 speed if I have the RAM voltage to 1.65 (mem is rated for 1.5). Is this ok to leave at 1.65, shouldn't damage it or anything right?

Comment

Gskill says up a tenth is ok, so might try at 1.6.........I would think 1.65 would be okay, but I'm basing that on experience with other sticks from a couple other manufacturers I've been using for a long time. Might drop a line to GSkill Tech if he doesn't respond to this question Monday (or today if he pops in)

Tman

Comment

Well this morning I changed it to 1.59v and it seemed to be stable there as well.

Should I leave it at 1.59? Or should I try to keep going down until it stops being stable? Is there a risk at having an extra .09v on the memory?

Also, for future reference: Is it not possible, or not necessary to change the NorthBridge voltage with AMD chips? Looks like I don't need to, but It would be good to know why I don't seem to have the option in the bios.

In any case, thanks for the help/advice Tradesman - I really appreciate it. I'm so thrilled to have this system running at full speed now.

I may in the future pick up a 2nd pack of these RAM sticks to boost to 8GB in the system - is there anything I need to change when I pop those in?

Comment

Whoops, spoke too soon. I crashed after a few hours while downloading/installing with Steam.

Bumping it to 1.62v - we'll see if that works.

Comment

Might up the voltage on the CPU just a bit, the MC is in the CPU...which might allow you to drop the DRAM voltage some

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X