GA-EX58-UD4P destroying G.Skill memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD4P destroying G.Skill memory

I have been trying to run my new UD4P motherboard with 12gb of G.Skill memory (2 x F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ) using default bios settings and the latest bios revision.

However, running all 6 modules results in errors and one of the modules becoming permanently faulty.

Gigabyte tells me that not all brands of RAM work equally well in these boards. However, they say modules are not expected to be permanently damaged like mine appears to be.

I am able to run 4x2gb (of my remaining working modules) stably in a 3-channel configuration without any problems so I am wondering if the problem is moterhboard-related rather than RAM related. Perhaps a faulty slot?

Has anyone got experience with running 12gb of this type of RAM in a GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard? Are permanently damaged modules a known result of running six of these in one board?

Any advice on tests to figure out if the problem is RAM related or motherboard related (without having to buy another 6 modules of a different RAM...)

Cheers

With default settings it will not be able to operate the memory. That's why we suggest to manually configure the BIOS, because if not it can cause these types of issues. Have you tried setting the BIOS correctly? Try testing each memory module individually to see which ones are actually defective. Keep us posted on the results and we will be ableto further assist you.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

To elaborate on my story, when I first had the RAM problem I changed the bios settings to 1333mhz and 9-9-9-24-2. However, it was still acting up so I figured it was caused by a faulty RAM module and got a replacemement kit from the dealer. The motherboard manufacturer Gigabyte told me the default speed in the bios was the correct speed to use in order to ensure compatibility with my i7 920 cpu. I therfore booted with all 6 modules (three old and three new) into memtest86+ using the default settings. After less than one pass the tests failed. I found the bad module and have been running with 4x2gb since then.

After reading your suggestion above I changed the bios settings and loaded the faulty module along with another two modules (i.e. 3x2gb) into the board; it registers as it should, however at test #7 of memtest86+ it reports errors. Unfortunately I have no way of telling if these errors are caused by permament damage inflicted by first run or if it is some other configuration or motherboard issue...

So to clarify, you suggest that just changing the frequency and the CAS settings should be sufficient or should I set other bios variabels as well?

Do you know if G.Skill has experience from internal tests using the GA-EX58-UD4p board and this version of RAM that you can share? Do you get it to run stably with 6x2gb?

Cheers

Comment

It would help if you could provide the settings you are using, particularly the advanced RAM timings.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sure...

CAS Latency time - 9
          tRCD - 9
          tRP - 9
          tRAS - 24

tRC - 27
          tRRD - 4
          tWTR - 4
          tWR - 8
          tRFC - 60
          tRTP - 4
          tFAW - 16
          CMD - 2

Round trip Latency 56

Also:
          CPU Vcore: 1.29375V
          QPI/Vtt voltage 1.175V
          IOH Core 1.100V
          DRAM voltage 1.500V

Comment

tRFC is low, think you'll need around 88, am looking for notes, but the 60 is low even for 1 set of sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well, I tried changing the tRFC value to 88 and I then ran 3x2gb and booted into memtest86+. It starts out ok but the tests still fail in less than one pass. The module that fails is the same module that has been failing all along and any further testing using these modules therefore seems futile.

I'm still getting solid performance when leaving out the bad module and running 4x2gb, but I really bought these things to run all six.

Gigabyte support suggests the best option would be for G.Skill itself to run a test using 6x2gb of these modules in the GA-EX58-UD4P board to see if the problem is with the board or the RAM. I could try to get another replacement module, but since two mdules have already failed in my board it might not be worth it without knowing if they are ever likely to work.

I'm still very interested in hearing from anyone out there who has ever got 6x2gb of these modules (F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ) to work stably in this board....

Cheers

Comment

Send that defective stick in for a new replacement. As far as running 6 sticks, simply requires BIOS tuning.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Hi,

I thought I would post a final update on my memory issues.

After receiving replacement modules a while ago I changed the bios settings to 9-9-9-24-2 and I changed the tRFC to 88 as per advice offered above.
                  I also changed the QPI/Vtt Voltage to 1.275V (from 1.175V) and the DRAM Voltage to 1.6V (from 1.5V) as per advice from another forum.

I have now been running the system using all six modules of RAM for 12gb of memory with absolutely no issues for several moths, so everything looks pretty good.

I only wish these things were a bit more plug and play out of the box...

Cheers

Alien

Comment

Working...
                  X