Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRAM V at 1.8V + F3-2400C10Q-32GTX + P8Z77-V LX + i7-3770K

Hello,
    I just notice that the BIOS shows the DRAM Voltage at 1.800V even though the value is set to 1.650V. This is for either XMP 1 or 2 and memory speed to DDR3-2400. The Asus “AI Suite” also shows the voltage at 1.800V.
    If I set the BIOS to the default settings, then the BIOS and “AI Suite” reports 1.500V and memory speed at DDR3-1333. So I think the sensor is right.
    I tried this with two board but with different BIOS date (8//2012 and 7//2013) and the results are the same. I use the same two DIMM for this test.
    Is this a memory or motherboard issue?
    Should I worry about this high voltage? In one of the thread about testing memory with Z77 board the voltage was set at 1.75V,so is 1.800V safe? The motherboard manual says not to go above 1.650V.

Thanks in advance.

Update:
    When I set memory frequency to DDR3-2200, 2133, 2000, 1866, etc, the DRAM voltage reads 1.650V. When I set the memory speed to DDR3-2400 or higher than the DRAM Voltage shows 1.800V even though it is set to 1.650V.
    I had this memory running at DDR3-2400 in a P8Z68-V LX and I believe that the voltage reported was 1.650V.

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes I do. One of the boards I installed the newest BIOS (2203 7/22/2013) and the other is 1201 8/29/2012

Comment

Update:
          Install 4 DDR3-2666 (F3-2666C12Q-32GTXD) with the same results. BIOS DRAM Voltage reads 1.800V if memory speed set to DDR3-2400. If memory speed set to DDR3-2200, then voltage drops to 1.650V

Comment

Can try setting them manually, but mobo only advertises to 2400, so they prob don't have presets in there for faster

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I did try to set the DDR-2400 manually. I first copy the timing that the bios reports when set XMP profile, and then I set the OC to manual (instead for Auto or XMP) and then manually set the memory timings. Set the DRAM voltage to 1.65V. I reboot and go back into the bios. The bios reports the voltage at 1.80V although it is set to 1.65V (1.65 is in the changeable field and 1.80V is in the unchangeable field)

Comment

Try raising the VCCSA to 1.16

Tman

Comment

Hi Tradesman and thanks for the response.
                  Just did that and got the same results. Manually changed VCCSA from "Auto" to "1.16", set memory to DDR-2400 and rebooted.
                  Going back to bios, I read DRAM Voltage at 1.80V (changeable field is 1.65V and unchangeable field is 1.80V). The voltage of VCCSA shows 1.16V in both fields.
                  I am just surprise that nobody has seen this problem.

Comment

Some mobo manufacturers "cheat" like this to "improve memory compatibility". Not too long ago one of the tech websites called them out on it, but I can't remember which one, maybe Toms or anand.
                    AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Might drop them a email and ask what's up, many of the mobo makers don't have the ready for 32GB sets, especially in the higher freqs

Tman

Comment

I hear you damric,
                        I am talking with ASUS about this too, and so far they can't tell me why the bios sets the voltage is set to 1.80V when the memory seep is set to DDR3-2400 of higher.
                        Does anybody know what would happen if I run at this voltage? It is been running like this for over a year and so far I have not lost any processors (I have three of this type).

Comment

Update:
                          ASUS support responded and said that 1.8V DRAM voltage is safe (“won't easily damage the CPU and memory”). Still no answer as to why BIOS sets voltage to 1.8V.
                          The only thing they say is that that board needs to set the DRAM voltage at 1.8V for 32GB kit at speed of DDR3-2400.
                          In the Qualified Vendor List (QVL), there are no 32GB kits at DDR3-2400. Does anybody know which motherboard have this kit in their QVL?

Comment

Originally posted by lazeta1961 View Post
                            The only thing they say is that that board needs to set the DRAM voltage at 1.8V for 32GB kit at speed of DDR3-2400.
                            I call ********, but oh well... Also it's quite debatable, if a Vdimm of 1.8V is longterm safe for daily use with Ivy Bridge processors.

Originally posted by lazeta1961 View Post
                            In the Qualified Vendor List (QVL), there are no 32GB kits at DDR3-2400. Does anybody know which motherboard have this kit in their QVL?
                            If you want to give ASUS another shot, all of the ASUS Maximus V models are well known for being very good memclockers. I am quite happy with my Maximus V Extreme in this regard and have never had a problem like the one you described. The infamous ASRock Z77 OC Formula might also be a good choice.

This kit probably only was available after most Ivy Bridge Mainboards were developed. So you most likely won't find it on any of the official lists. I just checked some of the late releases, like MSI Gaming Series and Gigabyte Z77X-UD4H, but it wasn't on any of those. It however is listed on the QVL for various Haswell and Richland models from Gigabyte.
                            Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Working...
                            X