Maximus 6 extreme, core i74770, G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximus 6 extreme, core i74770, G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB

I have built a new machine with G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2800 (PC3 22400) Desktop Memory Model F3-2800C12D-16GTXDG on an Asus Maximus Extreme with an i7 4770. I am getting random crashes on start up with Q code 00 off and on. I had XMP enabled at 2800 in the bios, but this was unstable. I received errors that overclocking had failed. I then chose XMP and decrease the memory frequency in the bios to 2666. This appeared to be stable. I ran memtest at 2800 and received numerous errors in 2-3 minutes. After decreasing the frequency to 2666, memtest made 7 passes without any errors. But now I continue to have occasional Q codes of 00 off and on. Not with every boot, but it has occurred twice today. Relaxing the timings was recommended to address this, but I don't know how to do this. How do I go about relaxing the timings for this memory? Thanks.

Under XMP settings, could you post your base and advanced DRAM timings as well as system voltages, being new, have a feeling the BIOS isn't setting them correctly

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

It is probably best to run the memory at DDR3-2666 with lower timings instead of DDR3-2800 with higher timings. Sounds like your CPU is limited, but DDR3-2666 is still more than great!

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

OK. I have the profile I was using in the bios under tool/spd information. I left XMP enabled originally when I decreased the memory frequency to 2666, but I didn't change anything else, so the bios was using the same profile and only the speed decrease to 2666 was changed:

XMP#1
        Frequency=2801
        voltage=1.650
        tCL=12
        tRCD=14
        tRP=14
        tRAS=35
        tRC=49

tWR=16
        tRRD=7
        tRFC=365
        tWTR=11
        tRTP=11
        tFAW=27
        tCWL=7
        Command Rate=2

The base settings are as follows:

JEDEC
        Frequency=1333
        voltage=1.500
        tCL=9
        tRCD=9
        tRP=9
        tRAS=24
        tRC=33

tWR=10
        tRRD=4
        tRFC=174
        tWTR=5
        tRTP=5
        tFAW=20
        tCWL=There's no entry here
        Command Rate=There's no entry here.

I'm currently running auto instead of XMP, so it has defaulted to 1333. I have booted the machine a couple of time today with no hang at Q code 00 with the default settings.

I appreciate all your help.

Comment

Current voltages:

CPU core voltage=1.056
          CPU cache voltage=1.207
          CPU system agent voltage=.848
          CPU analog voltage=1.015
          CPU digital voltage=1.018

They fluctuate a bit, but these are the current values. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Timings look pretty good, how about trying System agent voltage to 0.900 and CPU core voltage to 1.1

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

After choosing XMP again and setting the frequency to 2600, the SAV increased to 1.15. I think the CPU voltage increased as well, but I don't know how much. Booted the machine this AM and had the same Q code and it shut off by itself again. I then decreased the memory frequency again this AM to 2400. Those voltages are all increasing with the profile change to XMP. Do I need to select Manual and enter the voltage that way? Or just watch it now a few days with 2400? Thanks.

Comment

XMP will automatically adjust those values, and if the system is not stable with XMP enabled, most likely it is the CPU memory controller that is not capable of the extreme frequency.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hopefully the machine will be stable at 2400. Perhaps a bios update may stabilize things later on? Any other things I can do here? Since this problem occurs off and on, the CPU and memory itself are probably OK, correct? I won't need to RMA anything? Thanks.

Comment

Yes, most all the mobo makers are currently working on DRAM fixes, particularly for higher freqs, their 'testing' is done at the mobo default speed, not the true rated speed. More about that here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Tman

Comment

This may be a power cycle issue according to others I have spoken with. ?? The Q code may be OK. I just find it strange for it to do this. I have set everything back to auto and I will watch it from here. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X