Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad memory or memory slot?

Hello,

Recently, I've been getting tons of crashes in pretty much any programs. Firefox, Skype, games... everything. Even Windows Updates fails and never finishes.

As far as BSOD's go, I can reproduce it my doing any type of virus/malware scan. Can't reproduce it any other way as far as I know. Doing these scans in Safe Mode causes no issues.

So I tried troubleshooting... and I'm pretty sure the problems are from bad memory slots on the motherboard... but this is where I completely get lost and need some help.

I have 2 sticks of 4GB RAM. So I tried to take out a stick and see if I could pinpoint a problem with one of the sticks. Only problem is, with 1 stick in, the computer won't POST. So I moved the stick into all 4 slots with the same result. So I assumed that was a bad stick... but the same exact thing happened with the other stick. Computer wouldn't POST at all.

So, this is where I'm totally lost... I thought I'd try to reaarage the sticks into different slots, and nothing POSTs. I've tried all combinations and nothing changes, the ONLY way I can get the computer to POST is if the sticks are in certain slots. Nothing else works, not even swapping the sticks (into the same slot), work. Just ONE configuration.

So I grabbed working RAM off another computer I use, which I know for certain is good, and end up with the same result. I can't get the computer to POST.

So I put the RAM back in place where the computer will actually POST, and run Windows Memory Diagnostics. Instantly it says Windows detects hardware problems before even scanning. After scanning, Windows pops up saying I have a memory problem...

And this is what I ask... what exactly is the issue here? WMD states I have bad memory, and yet it doesn't seem like it, seeing how good RAM can't even get the computer on at all. Can WMD say RAM is bad even though it's actually the memory slot?

It's my first computer build, so I'm new to this, and any information at all is appreciated.

Thanks

Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
    Last edited by Sinaro; 06-21-2013, 04:18 PM.

Doesn't sound like it's the sticks when another stick gets the same results so would think mobo or CPU....firs though is CPU, so might want to pull it and take a close look at the pins, if any are missing - real trouble - if any are bent, - trouble - but those can normally be straighted with a couple of razor blades, put 1 on each sides and squeeze gently, then do same to the pin(s) at a right angle to the first squeeze. I simply lay the CPU flat and ease each blade in the aisle on either side of the bent pins, and as said queeze gently

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Doesn't sound like it's the sticks when another stick gets the same results so would think mobo or CPU....firs though is CPU, so might want to pull it and take a close look at the pins, if any are missing - real trouble - if any are bent, - trouble - but those can normally be straighted with a couple of razor blades, put 1 on each sides and squeeze gently, then do same to the pin(s) at a right angle to the first squeeze. I simply lay the CPU flat and ease each blade in the aisle on either side of the bent pins, and as said queeze gently
      Can it be possible for the pins on the CPU to just get bent or damaged randomly? I'll take a look at it later, but just wondering for now, since it there were no problems for the first 2 months I built it.

I'll update you when I take a look at the CPU.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

If it hasn't been pulled out, then it shouldn't....COuld be as you suggested the slots, though if pins were bent, may have just taken time for the connections of the pins to have started to fail. Do your sticks work in the other system?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          If it hasn't been pulled out, then it shouldn't....COuld be as you suggested the slots, though if pins were bent, may have just taken time for the connections of the pins to have started to fail. Do your sticks work in the other system?
          The CPU pins don't look to be damaged or missing, so I'll assume that's fine.

And before I try the RAM on our other computer... is it possible, if it's the RAM that's causing problems, to damage my good computer at all? Really don't want to end up with 2 damaged computers.

Comment

No, shouldn't have a problem, in fact it may well work fine, I'm thinking mobo or CPU

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X