Trying to Understand My Memory Needs for New Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Understand My Memory Needs for New Build

New to forum, with a newbie type question. I built this rig in 2006, and have decided it’s time to rebuild. Understanding memory is a little gray at this point in time. I’m trying to learn to make an educated purchase. I’m looking at either the F3-1866C10D-16GAB or F3-1600C9D-16GXM. I don’t understand the difference between DDR3 1600 and DDR3 1866. I’m not committed to either of these memory sticks, but they stand out right now.

I’ve narrowed it down to three processors. AMD FX-8120, AMD FX-8150, and AMD FX-8350

The motherboard will be the ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0.

The most memory intense program will be video editing. Second Photoshop.

Can someone explain in laymen terms the differences and advantages of the F3-1866C10D-16GAB and F3-1600C9D-16GXM? The cost difference between the two is immaterial. I’m looking to build a system that will last me for years as this one has.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food

If locked into AMD then could go either/or. 1866 is a higher (read faster freq) so it has a slight advantage over the 1600 set set you mention, however it's ever so slight as the 1600 set runs at CL9 and the 1866 is at a slower CL10 so other than a very slight bandwidth difference they are about equal as far as performance.....One thing to think about is even with the higher end 8350 if in the future you decide you need more DRAM then chances are good that even with the 1866 sticks you'd prob have to drop them to 1600. The 8350 is rated up to 1866 at 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL (and that was figured based on 4GB sticks, most 8350s can handle a pair of 8GB sticks of 1866 but w/ 4 (it you needed more), most are limited to 1600.

If looking for a system to last a few years, might consider a 3570K ($20 more than an 8350) which can run circles around the 8350, OCs much better and can handle more and faster DRAM

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I read the “The 8350 is rated up to 1866 at 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL” on the AMD site after I posted last night. I’m going to show my lack of knowledge and understanding of memory, but I did not understand what 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL means.

Not understanding that terminology, it sounded like 1600 might be a good speed to stick to.

When I built my current rig, I went with an AMD Athlon processor, and it has been working fine for 7 years, and still does all I ask it to. Understanding the AMD terminology on their site is easier than Intel, so I decided to stick with AMD.

Back to the 1866 at 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL. Can that be explained in laymen terms, and is there any disadvantage to the 1886 over 1600 with the processors I listed?

I do not play games and will not OC.
      Gary
      Will Fly for Food

Comment

AMD CPUs have a two channel MC (memory controller), and most mobos have 4 DIMM slots, 2 are allocated to Channel A with the other 2 to Channel B. 1 DIMM per channel allows for 2 DIMMs total. Since the 'testing' at 1866 was done w/ 4 GB sticks, running 8GB sticks puts more stress on the MC and not all CPUs can carry the sticks at 1866

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I’m planning 8x2. If I’m understanding this correctly, if I went with 1600, both sticks would go into channel A and if I went with 1866, one stick would need to go into channel A and one in channel B?
          Gary
          Will Fly for Food

Comment

Either kit can work fine. Memory is very flexible, so if you purchase DDR3-1866, then found out you want to run it at DDR3-1600, you can do that as well with the same exact timings and voltage as the other kit.

If you plan to OC, DDR3-1866 is perfect. If you don't plan to OC, DDR3-1600 CL9 is good enough.

Whichever you plan to use, one goes in slot channel A, and the other goes in slot channel B. This is the same no matter what because of dual channel. The AMD statement you mentioned just means that with all slots full, it can only achieve DDR3-1866 max. But as enthusiasts, we are aware of ways around this to reach the highest frequency. A common misconception is people see a DDR3-2400 rating for their motherboard and expect that speed to be plug and play. The 'one DIMM per channel' warning is just a basic limitation.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you very much. That is very helpful. I’ll probably go for the DDR3 1600, but it will probably be a decision I make when I actually click on the “Add to Cart” button.

What do the numbers in parentheses mean? DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I see 4 different Series of memory. Some different colors. Are the different colors of Ripjaws and Ares just aesthetic?

Ripjaws (Blue & Red), Ares (Blue, Red & Orange), Sniper, and Trident

No amount of searching could turn up what the difference between the Series is. I’m looking at Ripjaws and Ares. Is there any difference other than heat sink?
              Gary
              Will Fly for Food

Comment

Might take a look at my info thread on model #s, should answer your questions, of course if there's more, ask away

Info thread can be found here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10564

Tman

Comment

I did go thru that thread before my last post, and still had the same questions. I am guessing that the colors are aesthetic and serve no other purpose. Am I correct?

I still don’t understand, nor can I find some definitive differences between the Ripjaws and Ares.

And, as for what the numbers parentheses mean. DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Is that number tied to 1600?

For example, if I look at this page comparing the N82E16820231568 and N82E16820231606, I can only see a difference between the two in timing, and I don’t really know what the difference means and wonder would it be anything I would even notice in daily use.
                  Gary
                  Will Fly for Food

Comment

1600 is the freq it's running at, 12800 is the theoretical bandwidth (MB per sec), the Ripjaws X came out around the same time as the 1155 socket and are slightly more tuned towards Sandy Bridge CPUs than the older Ripjaws (same as the the Ripjaws Z are slightly more tuned towards the X79 chipsets. The Ares is one of the newer models (newer ICs) and (to me anyway) is sort of a general purpose set of sticks that works pretty well with everything, the latest is the Tridents, and like all others pretty much works with anything, but is a little more finely tuned towards Ivy Bridge CPUs

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                      1600 is the freq it's running at, 12800 is the theoretical bandwidth (MB per sec), the Ripjaws X came out around the same time as the 1155 socket and are slightly more tuned towards Sandy Bridge CPUs than the older Ripjaws (same as the the Ripjaws Z are slightly more tuned towards the X79 chipsets. The Ares is one of the newer models (newer ICs) and (to me anyway) is sort of a general purpose set of sticks that works pretty well with everything, the latest is the Tridents, and like all others pretty much works with anything, but is a little more finely tuned towards Ivy Bridge CPUs
                      Thank you. The Ares Series sounds like the best way to go for me since I’ll be running an AMD processor. 1600 or 1866. I’ll probably decide when I click the “Add to Cart” button. Not enough of a price difference to matter. I’ll try to remember to post back when I have the system together. Looks like it’s all going to come together at a time of year that I can not be without my computer, and since I’m using the same case, I might just have to let the new components sit and gather drool till I get the time to install them.
                      Gary
                      Will Fly for Food

Comment

We'll still be here, don't drool too long........if all new components, can always just build it as an open bench and put it to use

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X