Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram for Asus Rampage III Gene

Hello,

New to the forum and looking for suggestions to upgrade my ram for my Asus Rampage III Gene MOBO. Id like about 8-16GB of ram. Also is it better to just buy one 8 or 16GB stick or spread it across 4 sticks? Heres my specs...

Model
    Brand
    ASUS
    Model
    Rampage III Gene

Supported CPU
    CPU Socket Type
    LGA 1366
    CPU Type
    Core i7 (LGA1366)
    FSB
    QPI 6.4GT/S

Chipsets
    North Bridge
    Intel X58
    South Bridge
    Intel ICH10R

Memory
    Number of Memory Slots
    6×240pin
    Memory Standard
    DDR3 2200(OC)/2133(OC)/2000(OC)/1800(OC)/1600/1333/1066
    Maximum Memory Supported
    24GB
    Channel Supported
    Triple Channel

Processor Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

Windows 7 64 bit

Thanks for your assistance!

Here are some kits that should work great:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ED&Pagesize=20

It is best to have at least 3 modules installed for triple channel.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Think I'd suggest 2133 or lower, also if not positive on how much, could look at some of the 12 GB sets available to provide tri-channel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...3%20x%204GB%29

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks everyone for their replies! I got a set from willcall at newegg just installed. Having some issues. Its only showing 8GB of ram. I got the F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL seen here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231358

I set the timings per the chips but Ill be honest Im not super techy just a basic aircraft mechanic with some electronics knowledge. CL9-9-9-24

Any help to get me dialed in would be greatly appreciated!

Heres some pics..

Comment

Ram settings...

Comment

First thing, you need the latest BIOS, you have ver 0704, curr is 1003 (almost a year newer)....that may take care of it for....After you update make sure the sticks are firmly seated, then let us know

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
              First thing, you need the latest BIOS, you have ver 0704, curr is 1003 (almost a year newer)....that may take care of it for....After you update make sure the sticks are firmly seated, then let us know
              Thanks for the pointer Trademan! Spaced the bios update. I did update the bios to the latest one 1003 but still to no avail I'm only seeing 8gb of ram. I've tried reseating all the ram sticks to check for a faulty connection but no joy. Is this a ram settings issue you think?

Comment

Might check that Win is limiting the DRAM, can do that by go to

START - enter MSCONFIG in the search box and hit enter - when the menu comes up select the BOOT tab then ADVANCED OPTIONS and make sure the Maximum Memory box is unchecked.

Tman

Comment

Might check that Win is limiting the DRAM, can do that by go to

START - enter MSCONFIG in the search box and hit enter - when the menu comes up select the BOOT tab then ADVANCED OPTIONS and make sure the Maximum Memory box is unchecked.

Thanks for the continued support Tradesman. Ive verified that wasn't checked. Here's a screen shot showing windows only showing 8gb, cpu-z showing 12, and the window you suggesting checking.

I think ive figured out the problem and it looks bad. Upon rebooting the ram, I noticed the MB would power cycle 3 times before POST and the red LED for DRAM would be lite. I tried swaping cards around and long story short the A1 ram slot is the one causing this.

Interesting to me is the other B1 and C1 channels show up as 8GB of ram in windows and I dont get the 3 power cycle to POST issue. I suspect a bad RAM slot but its weird that CPUz will have the RAM show 3 4GB sticks and cause these issues.

Im at a loss. Asus states a 3 year limited warranty, I only have 2.3 years on the MB since purchase. The Rampage III Gene has been discontinued so Im not sure what they could do for me.

Unfortunately being my CPU is LGA 1366 there's not really any options to just buy a new MB and move on. I know this is off topic of GSKILL ram at this point but any tips or suggestions on where to go from here?

Thanks everyone for the assistance and the patience to help me figure this out!

Pat

Comment

Do you have them in the Red slots or the Black slots? Try in the other colorred slots, if still no go, try with 2 sticks in slots 1-3 (from CPU) if still shows 8, pull the stic from slot 3 and try the last stick, that shouls show if all are working....could be a problem with a channel if all sticks working. If all working could try in 1-2-3...Could also be in the CPU or mobo socket - can pull CPU and check for thermal compound/debris on bottom of CPU or in socket and check for bent/broken pins in socket

Tman

Comment

Do you have them in the Red slots or the Black slots? Try in the other colorred slots, if still no go, try with 2 sticks in slots 1-3 (from CPU) if still shows 8, pull the stic from slot 3 and try the last stick, that shouls show if all are working....could be a problem with a channel if all sticks working. If all working could try in 1-2-3...Could also be in the CPU or mobo socket - can pull CPU and check for thermal compound/debris on bottom of CPU or in socket and check for bent/broken pins in socket
                      Ive got the RAM in the red slots numbered from CPU to right A1,B1,C1 as the manual states to fill the red ones first then the black ones. Putting them in the black slots doesnt enable it to boot.

I blew out my RAM slots and inspected for debris in there and also looked at the pins. I also removed my CPU an cooler assembly and looked at the pins there to make sure nothing was broken or bent on the CPU side and all looked good. I took care to not over tighten the CPU cooler screws as Ive heard that is a culprit for issues as well.

So what Ive narrowed down is this:

Utilizing 3 ram sticks in the primary red slots (A1,B1,C1) causes the system to power cycle itself 3 times before POST then it boots up.

Upon boot up windows only shows the size of ram installed in B1,C1 not A1 but CPU-z will show ram in all 3 slots.

Using just B1,C1 leaving A1 empty the system POST's on the first boot and windows displays the proper size of memory.

Ive tried changing the BIOS ram config from auto, enabling XMP profile under bios, etc. and the results are the same.

Is there something else for me to look at or does this seem like a hardware problem? My instict is telling me that I have a defective RAM slot but computers are always evolving and very technical so thats why Im on a forum looking for assistance.

Thanks for all your help!
                      Pat

This is the configuration that POSTs right away with sticks in B1, C1 A1 is empty.

Comment

Sounds like the A Channel is messed up, might check w/ Asus and see about a RMA, the slot should definately pick up the stick at default if nothing else

Tman

Comment

Just a follow up, I ended up sending in the MB to Asus for repair service due to this RAM issue. It was indeed a bad RAM slot as was suspected.

The Gskill ram works like a champ and I haven't had any hiccups, I greatly appreciate everyone's help here on the forum. Now for a SSD to really make it sing.

Comment

Glad to hear all is well, RMAs can be a pain, but now that it's up you can enjoy it

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X