Which 32GB kit for AMD FX-8350 and ASRock 990FX Extreme9 mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which 32GB kit for AMD FX-8350 and ASRock 990FX Extreme9 mobo

I'm looking at putting together a system with an AMD FX-8350 and 4x 8GB sticks of DDR3 in an ASRock 990FX Extreme9 mobo:
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%2...e9/?cat=Memory

Although it says it will take up to 64GB with recent BIOS updates, at this point, I'll stick with 32GB, since I can't seem to find 16GB sticks and I'm afraid they'd be a bit overkill, coming from a Q6600 with only 4GB of DDR2.

The gskill.com ram configurator (as well as newegg's) gives a bunch of possibilities, but nothing on the ASRock QVL (above) shows anything using 8gb sticks, let alone 16gb ones.

Do I want a set of 4 quad channel, a set of two pairs of dual channel, or 4 single channel? And at what speed and timings?

I'm looking to run Linux and sometimes do overclocking, but most of the time, I just want something stable that I can play a few games on and run VMs. Tend to keep my systems running 24x7.

What's the difference between the different named types of G.SKILL? Even on gskill.com, it only lists by speed and doesn't seem to point out what differentiates the different named types (might be a good thing to put in a FAQ). Ares seems like it might be lower end, but some of the CL are fairly decent. TridentX seems to be the best, since that is what most of the recent news releases have been about. Going through these threads, Ripjaws seems to be an older version, with RipjawsX and RipjawsZ newer and supporting things on the Intel side...

It looks to me like the Vishera with the 990FX chipset doesn't support some of the newer memory features/speeds that the Z77 chipset with say an i7-3770K does, but I'm looking forward to dropping in a new CPU when the last rev of AM3+ chips comes out, unlike what seems to be going on with Haswell, where I'd have to drop in a new mobo for a new cpu.

As a second-place option for mobo, I've also been looking at the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SAB...specifications using the same chip. Would the recommendations for memory be the same for that one as the Extreme9? That one still lists as 32GB max, however.

And finally...does anyone know why memory prices slowly dipped down to a low point around Black Friday but are now almost double those prices? It wasn't just a "down for Christmas" thing; the graphs show them slowly all headed up. For instance: http://camelegg.com/product/N82E1682...utm_medium=www
    Last edited by Dak; 03-21-2013, 10:05 PM. Reason: adding bold to stand out for proc and mobo models

Will try to cover everything, first on the QVLs, might take a look at my info thread here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

in short the mobo makers test at the moo default speed, normally 1333, a few at 1600 so if thinking you want 1600 or better they are of no real help - same is true with with Intel mobos. As far as wuad, dual, single - all DRAM will run in any of the modes (if you have a proper number of sticks) - AMD is strictly single or dual, regardless of number of slots.

There's some info here on the different models, most all new models are designed towards Intel as the MC (Memory Controllers) in AMD lag far behind those of Intel - i.e. the top of the line FX-8350 is rated UP TO 1866 AT 1 STICK PER CHANNEL (4 GB sticks), where as the older Sandy Bridge CPU's (from a couple years ago) would run 4x8GB at 2133 or better and today's can run up to 4x8 at 2400+. If any particular questions on models feel free to ask, we'll be here.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10564

As far as pricing, it depends on a lot of things, in your example, I can only guess, but high initially because new and the ICs were just coming out, price decreases as IC production comes up to speed and basically floods market, then as newer ICs comes out and production on the X ICs slow, demand goes up and prices rise, especially, in this instance as the X series is still in demand and demand has been rising (in particular the 1600, 1866 and 2133 sets) since AMD came out with the Piledriver line which is rated as a stronger MC than the Bulldozers had (which it may be, but only marginally.

For a 8350 or the upcoming CPUs, I'd suggest 1600 or 1866 (1866 with the thought may have to drop to 1600 for 32GB)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

First, thanks for the reply!

But now I have a lot more questions...

I had already seen the bit on QVLs, so was on the same page for that. Most mobo manufacturers probably won't be testing all types of memory from every memory manufacturer.

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      [SNIP]

As far as wuad, dual, single - all DRAM will run in any of the modes (if you have a proper number of sticks) - AMD is strictly single or dual, regardless of number of slots.

There's some info here on the different models, most all new models are designed towards Intel as the MC (Memory Controllers) in AMD lag far behind those of Intel - i.e. the top of the line FX-8350 is rated UP TO 1866 AT 1 STICK PER CHANNEL (4 GB sticks), where as the older Sandy Bridge CPU's (from a couple years ago) would run 4x8GB at 2133 or better and today's can run up to 4x8 at 2400+. If any particular questions on models feel free to ask, we'll be here.
      So, does this mean that it CANNOT use a quad channel set? Or it will just use them in single channel mode?
      I ask because, at least at newegg, there are several sets of quad that are cheaper than dual.

Particularly, when I search for desktop, G.SKILL, 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...NG&PageSize=20

Notice that most are quad, a few dual, and NO single channel. Buying single channel 32GB in a 4x8GB set, at least from newegg, seems to be out of the question.

Better with the FX-8350 to buy a Quad or Dual channel set of 4 sticks?

Thanks, that has helped a lot; I thought I had perused most of the sticky threads, but don't remember that one.

Not really planning on doing much OC'ing, but at what point does one need the little fan coolers?

Newegg also lists voltage (most are 1.5V, but some are 1.6V). Do the ones with 1.6V listed also have more OC'ing potential? What other side effects does that extra .1V have? Runs hotter/cooler, more/less power usage, faster/slower, less or more longevity? I see that the lower voltages don't seem to be offered at the 32GB size, instead those seem to be in the much smaller sizes/pairs, such as the Sniper F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2. But then on gskill.com, I see some TridentX F3-2800C11Q-16GTXDG tested at 1.65V, and TridentX line seems to be top of the line. (and what does that last G mean? TX probably means TridentX, but wasn't covered in your model number sticky post, and the D means it includes the cooling fans, but that last G...)

Can you give me an idea of where Ares, RipjawsX, RipjawsZ, TridentX, and Sniper line up / what they are aimed at?

Just to see if I'm getting my head around it...on my newegg search link above, it lists as the first 4:

F3-1600C9Q-32GXM Ripjaws X
      F3-1866C10Q-32GAB Ares Blue
      F3-14900CL10Q-32GBZL Ripjaws Z
      F3-1600C9Q-32GSR Sniper

I can understand that the middle two are about $10 more expensive because they are 1866 (why does the Z give the PC3 speed and not the DDR3 like the rest?) and the outside ones are 1600, even though the 1600's have a quicker/lower CAS.

What differentiates the 1866 sets, Ares Blue from the Low OC potential Ripjaws Z? Both are the same frequency and CAS latency. And is Ares Blue and Orange just cosmetic, or does that mean something as well? Are Ares just not meant to overclock, since there is no High/Medium/Low for them?

For the 1600 sets, both are 9Q, 1.5V. What differentiates a Ripjaws X Medium OC potential (XM) from a 1.5 Volt (SR) Sniper?

And on that same page, for the same price, they have 2 sets that only seem to be different by the X and the Z, both quads:
      F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL
      F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL

How are the Z and X different? Z is just 'newer'? Other than that, identical performance?
      Both are red.

Then there is this quad blue Ripjaws X set for a bit cheaper, but it's only dual channel; you can't tell dual/quad channel from the model number?
      F3-1600C9Q-32GXM

[SNIP]
      and demand has been rising (in particular the 1600, 1866 and 2133 sets) since AMD came out with the Piledriver line which is rated as a stronger MC than the Bulldozers had (which it may be, but only marginally.

For a 8350 or the upcoming CPUs, I'd suggest 1600 or 1866 (1866 with the thought may have to drop to 1600 for 32GB)
      So, in my situation, there really isn't a point to go with anything higher than 1866, like 2133 or 2400?

Comment

OK, generally whatever you see marked as 'quad channel' simply means nothing more than it is a 4 stick set, the only mobos that currently employ true quad channel DRAM is the X79 chipset/2011 socket, but as said basically any DRAM (if you have enough sticks can run in any mode (single, dual, tri or quad) - AMD mobos are strictly single or dual channel - same as Intel 1155 socket mobos - while most all have 4 slots and can run 4 sticks - they can only run in dual channel at the max as the CPU's are limited to dual channel action. So yes a quad, 4 stick set will work fine in the mobo and in fact it's the best way to go as all 4 sticks are tested to work together, mixing sets can be problematic.

Fan coolers - basically no, I've gotten sets of sticks that can w/ fans, but to me it's more of a looks/aesthetics thing.

Voltage - 1.5 is the DDR3 standard (per JEDEC), however originally DDR3 wasn't meant or planned to exceed 1600, so generally when you head to the higher freqs (1866-2800+) you will often run into sticks/sets that will require higher voltage (as well as requiring a OC of the CPU (the additional voltage needed by the CPU for the OC helps to balance the additional voltage required by the DRAM to keep them in line.

The Tridents came out after the original info thread, which is why they aren't covered there (probably should update it, huh? ) Also, the Tridents and the Ripjaws Z are the only sets that are really built with true quad channel (2011) in mind

Let's see Ripjaws X aimed at 1155/Sandy Bridge (2nd gen Intel CPUs), Snipers more all round GP (general purpose), Ripjaws Z (2011/1155 Ivy Bridge (gen 3 Intel CPUS)), Ares sort of Ivy Bridge/GP, Tridents Ivy Bridge, Tridents (Ivy Bridge)

As far as higher than 1866, might consider 2133 with the thought if you stay with AMD the next line of CPUs might have a stronger MC or if you move over to Intel that can run higher freqs efficiently

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks, 2 posts and you cleared everything up for me. Awesome!

Comment

Glad to help out, let us know what you decide and how it goes

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
              Glad to help out, let us know what you decide and how it goes

Well, ended up going with some F3-1866C9Q-32GZH :
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231626

Of course, later that evening, the out-of-stock model I originally preferred was back in stock. What can you do?

Newegg says "quad channel kit", but the GSKILL site says "dual channel kit"; either way it should work fine for me, right?

http://gskill.com/products.php?index=572

Now I just have to wait for the slow boat from NJ to arrive.

Comment

Yep, should be fine, I think NewEgg just put's down quad channel on anything that has 4 sticks and yes basically any DRAM will run single, dual, Tri or Quad as long as you have enough sticks to meet the minimum requirement....i.e. I've seen them advertise 4 stick sets of DDR2 as Quad - and I don't know of a mobo that runs DDR2 that is true quad-channel capable...(maybe some early server mobos)....We'll be waiting aloong with you to hear out you like 'em.

Tman

Comment

I actually own this ...

I have the board and cpu ...latest bios and F3-17000CL9Q2 I use the profile on the ram (xmp) it changes to 2133 and no boot ... it defaults to 1600 and will boot with that .....I guess I will need some manual timings and such to get it up there

Comment

What set do you have? the partial model # you list would be for an 8 stick set (Q2 is for 4 sticks times 2)....

Tman

Comment

f3-17000cl9q2-32gbzh, this is 8 sticks of 4gb of which I am only using 4 sticks in this build

Comment

Can you post up your BIOS settings

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X