X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-870A-UD3 with Athlon II x4 620 and 2 kits of F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Howdy G.Skill folks!

So, here's the setup:
    GA-870A-UD3 rev. 2.1, with AMD Athlon II X4 620. Trying to use 2 8gb F3-10666CL9D-8gbrl kits for a total of 16GB.

Made sure to keep the two kits on their own channels, i.e. kit 1 goes in the first two slots (first and third on my mobo) and kit 2 goes in the next (2nd and 4th)

System runs fine on kit 1, perfectly stable.

Another system (phenom X6 on an asus M4A87TDEVO(B) board) runs fine on the other kit, kit 2, perfectly stable. 40 passes of memtest with correct settings autodetected, and same with settings manually entered in bios (it didn't detect 2N(2t in my bios)).

When I combine both kits into the user's system, however, I get blue screens within minutes of the OS loading.

This probably points to bad mem sockets? I haven't had a chance to test kit1 in the 2nd and 4th slots with 1 and 3 unpopulated yet. But please bear with me, I was more hoping for plug and play, less fiddling, so I'm still not mentally prepared with all the knowledge of memory timings and what their role is in terms of communicating to the cpu.

So, things I've tried:
    allowed mobo to set timings
    manually set the timings to 9-9-9-24 with and without the 2t
    while timings manually set to 9-9-9-24-2t I've upped DRAM voltage in 0.05V increments all the way to 1.6V, if anything it brought on blue screens within seconds instead of a minute or two. Brought it back down to 1.5V and took out kit2, back to good.

Right now, I've got memtest running with kit1 in 2nd and 4th, kit2 in 1st and 3rd. Hoping that the person who uses this is running late.

Things I've read that I am wondering about:
    "tightening" the timings. Don't know what that means, but I was wondering if that'd be worth a try in my situation, since the other g.skill 1333 memories that are listed as compatible by gigabyte seem to have different timings, 8-8-8 (although it looks like other dimms on that list from other manufacturers have 9-9-9 timings so they probably just didn't have these particular dimms on hand)

ganged/unganged, interleaved channels, interleaved banks - these are options I noticed in the bios, leave these alone?

MC might be having a hard time with a full load, do I need to make the memory slower somehow?

Thanks for any insight you folks can offer!

-BShan

Any time you mix sets of DRAM, even of the same exact model it can be problematic, especially with AMD. That being said, make sure you have the latest BIOS, and let's try raising the DRAM voltage to 1.56 and raise the CPU/NB voltage + 0.11 from whatever it's currently at and give that a whirl.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X