Help w/choosing GA-Z77X-UD4H Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/choosing GA-Z77X-UD4H Memory

I'm planning to build a system based on the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4H running either a Core i7-3770K or i5-3570K, and I'm hoping y'all can make some recommendations regarding memory. Specifically, I'm looking for 16 or 32GB kits, 1600 or better. I know both of those are probably overkill and 8GB should do the trick (at least that's what everyone seems to say), but I under-built my last system and regretted it ever since.

Most importantly I'm looking for a hassle-free installation and use, and that's the biggest reason I'm here. While I know that QVL's and Configurators never include every compatibility-tested kit, knowing that I'm not taking a total shot in that dark makes my hand shake a little less when I go to spend the money. And, just my luck, the UD4H isn't on G.Skill's Configurator quite yet.

So, if anyone has some experience with this board or informed suggestions as to which kits might work best, I'd greatly appreciate the advice.

First off, the QVLs are sorta worthless if looking at anything over 1600 since the mobo manufacturers test DRAM at the mobo's default of 1333 or 1600 (see my info thread here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

With the combo you are thinking of can go most anything - I think I'd suggest a 2x8GB set if not sure how much and prob lean towards the Tridents, then the Ripjaws Z models as primary choices in what frequency fits into your budget. After those two I would look at the Snipers, Ares, Ripjaws X, and Ripjaws in that order - Tridents and RJ Z models are more oriented to 3rd Gen CPUs and carry a little extra load with them.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks a ton, Tman. Ya know, I’d read your info thread about QVL’s some time ago, but after reading about a billion other articles I’d just plain forgotten. Glad you reminded me!

One last question, if you don't mind. Is there any point in waiting for the UD4H to be listed on the Configurator?

Comment

It's a relatively new mobo, so I think if any real problems it will be with the higher freq/highcapacity sets of DRAM 2133 and up along with 32GB sets (about the same with other mobos out there, pretty much all of them are still playing catchup on those), but we've had good luck walking folks through manual setup when needed...and I know I've been playing with those....only real problem I've seen is a number of mobos have a tRFC (advanced timing) locked at 250-255 and some of the 32GB sets want a tRFC of 279-314 and up.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X