32gb kit for Asus Sabertooth 990fx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32gb kit for Asus Sabertooth 990fx?

I'm wanting to get a 32gb kit for my Sabertooth board, but would like advice on which to get. The two I'm eyeballing right now are the F3-1600C9Q-32GXM and F3-1866C10Q-32GAB. Between these two, I'm leaning towards the Ares set because it's 1866 instead of 1600. The Sabertooth's compatibility list was last updated in 2011 and doesn't include any G.Skill 32g kits, but I have seen a couple people saying they can get some kits working with some tweaks.

Any advice?

What CPU? I've read of a few folks saying they are running 32GB of 1600 with a 8350 and a couple with an 8150....most AMD/32GB combos I've seen were at 1333...The FX-8350 is rated up to 1866 at 1 stick per channel (and that was done with 4 GB sticks) - AMD's own memory chart here:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...encyguide.aspx

Of the 1600 32GB sets available I'd lean towards the RJ X set you mention or the Snipers, F3-1600C9Q-32GSR.

What you see on the mobo ads and list can be very deceptive as those are theoretical maximums i.e. your mobo shows up to 32GB and as high as 1866, problem with all that is that they test at the mobo default, not the rated DRAM spec and normally use the highest end CPU available (i.e. the FX-8350) so if a 32 GB set was 'tested' it was probably at 1333 - see my info thread on QVLs for more info there:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm currently running an 1100t, but looking to upgrade to an 8350 soon. I know this will lock any ram I run at 1333 without overclocking the northbridge, but I don't really feel like opening that can of worms and will accept the drop in speed until I upgrade the CPU...that is, unless I have to upgrade my CPU first.

If the RJ X and Sniper kits are pretty much the same, I may go for the Sniper because of the lower-profile heat spreaders. My CPU heatsink is pretty huge.

Comment

Yes it's a bit smaller, and not positive why, but I have had better luck with Snipers than any other line of DRAM when running w/ AMD rigs, especially in the comparatively higher freqs and densities...will say the Snipers have been my favorite line since their inception across the board (AMD and Intel), but I'm starting to lean towards the Tridents on the Intel side, have 32GB of the 2400 running sweet on my Z77

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yeah, I like the sniper series. I'm running some right now, and it's been good to me. I guess I'll just wait and see if they go on sale any time soon...I hate paying full price when I don't have to :-/

Thanks, man.

Comment

Know the feeling, I check NewEgg's daily dealy about daily and often pick up sets that have a good sale just to have on hand for upgrades, replacement or new builds (same with other components also)

Tman

Comment

Yeah, I'm subscribed to their daily newsletter, but apparently, I'm missing a lot of good shell shocker deals. I'm seeing people getting those 32g kits for like $110

By the way, are you employed by G.Skill or do you just admin the forums?

Comment

Just sort of a volunteer, like to keep up with mobos, CPUs and all.....and hate SPAM on forums, so I monitor new member signups and try and ban/delete known Spammers before they are approved for membership

Tman

Comment

Awesome. Not too many people do what you do on a volunteer basis.

Anyway, I think what I'll go ahead and do is get the 8350 first, as it will allow my current F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR kit to go at full speed and just grab the 32g kit if/when it goes on sale.

Thanks for all your help, man.

Comment

No problem, keep in touch and keep us updated

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X