Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD Caused by RAM?

Hello,

I have been getting multiple BSOD and other errors on starting up my PC. I have had a friend checking the dumpfiles and he told me the crash dumps that did not state memory corruption named windows drivers which is very unlikely to be the cause. All the dumps had different error codes which usually indicates a problem with the RAM. The last dump I had again stated memory corruption which had a 4E error code the same as one from the previous collection of files.

I checked BIOS at my RAM settings.

The DRAM Voltage is at 1.500V
    The timings are all correct also - 9-9-9-24-2

My Current RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231314

Does this sound like the most likely problem? The RAM is faulty.

Could be a lot of things, would help to know the CPU and mobo. Might want to run Memtest on each stick individually (5-6 passes normally suffices), if AMD in particular, might require additional DRAM and/or CPU/NB voltage or might not even be capable of carrying 1600 sticks. The DRAM can also be installed in another system to see if it has problems there. Could be the OS is corrupt. Might let us know CPU and mobo and try Memtest then we can go from there....could also look at my info thread Bench It here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=11279

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yeah sorry about that, I should have listed more about my PC. I ran Memtest and did 8 passes and no errors came up.

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131837

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115073
      Last edited by JwresB; 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Should be no problem there. Might make sure you have the latest BIOS, but shouldn't be a problem with 1600 sticks. So I'd try Memtest as mentioned if one or the other test bad then it's probably the sticks, if neither test bad or both do (seldom ever get two bad sticks), I'd see if I could get my hands on a couple of other sticks and see if still problems, if so that can narrow it to OS, CPU, mobo or prob PSU...can generally borrow (if you don't have another) a PSU to check that. Can reload the OS easily enough, (back up any/all data files), CPU and mobo can be more troublesome, most likely causes there would be like thermal compound on the bottom of your CPU or in the socket, bent pins in the socket, possibly a loose screw holding mobo to case, etc....would take a look at the Bench it thread I referenced. Or if you have or can borrow another 1155 compatible CPU can then test that on your mobo (and hopefully your CPU on the mobo that the other CPU came from)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Does it matter which DIMM slots I have my RAM plugged into? In the picture of my Motherboard, I have the 2 sticks of RAM plugged into the 2 black slots.

Comment

That's where I always start (1-3 from CPU). Some mobos are now suggesting 2-4 in part due to the oversize CPU coolers that overhang slots on occasion, so might try that, just for a look see. Your mobo manual should suggest either 1-3 or 2-4 as the preferred slots.

Tman

Comment

I think I'm going to try a friends RAM for a few days and see if I get another BSOD.

If I don't get an error then would it be safe to say my current RAM is faulty.

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

Ok I looked in my motherboards manual and it says I can put 2 sticks into either the blue or the black DIMM slots.

But it suggests that I install the RAM sticks into slots A2 and B2 for better compatibility.

Currently I have my 2 RAM sticks into slots A1 and B1. Would switching them to what the manual says is better, really matter much?

Comment

It can yes, they normally suggest a certain pair as the primary which may have a cleaner line or be for want of a better word the primary or dominant slots as the BIOS is programmed to see them

Tman

Comment

I wouldn't need to change anything in BIOS after switching my RAM sticks into new DIMM slots correct?

Comment

If it takes them as new sticks may have to re-enable XMP

Tman

Comment

Well I just had another BSOD and on the blue screen it stated "Memory Management".

Is that usually because my timings and such in BIOS are incorrect?

Comment

Could you post up your advanced/secondary timings and system voltages and I'll take a look this PM when I get back to my shop

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                              Could you post up your advanced/secondary timings and system voltages and I'll take a look this PM when I get back to my shop
                              Sorry it took so long to post back.

Here are my RAM timings and system voltages. Thanks.

Primary Timings-

Secondary Timings -

Everything is set to Auto.

Third Timings -

Everything is set to Auto.

CPU Voltage - 1.152Volts Offset Mode
                              DRAM Voltage - 1.500V
                              VCCSA Voltage - 0.925V
                              PCH Voltage - 1.050V

Comment

Working...
                              X