Computer unexpectedly shuts off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer unexpectedly shuts off

I am thinking these unexpected shut offs are caused by my memory kit (F3-2133C9D-16GXH). I do not think the memory is bad, I think the timings are not right. When I had the memory running at 2133 I had the computer unexpectedly shut off every few days. When I went to 1866 it went to about every 10 days...at least this is what I have noticed. I had the memory voltage at 1.6 volts in all cases and the IO on the default setting. In the past setting the IO too high also caused unexpected shut offs. I would like to run them at 1866 or 2133. My MB is a Biostar TZ68A+, CPU i5 2500k not overclocked at this time.

Can you post up your BIOS settings (DRAM timings, both base and advanced/secondary as well as your system volages) and may want to consider an OC. For most all sticks 1866 and above it requires an OC to carry the sticks at those freq unless the timings are loosened which will adversely affect performance

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Dram timings for 2133: 9-11-11-31-14-208-9-6-9-2T, dram voltage is at 1.62 volts and the rest are all default. CPU is not overclocked. I just tried putting it back at 2133 and shortly after doing that it shut off. I had been running it at 1866, which seemed to be the most stable but is not totally as I stated before.

What do you mean by base and advanced/secondary? XMP is not read correctly, but if you remember I got the settings above from GSkill admin that comes on here from time to time.

Comment

Have you tried raising VCCSA to about 1.1 and the VCCIO to about 1.14

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

My CPU really does not like the IO that high at all. I sort of wonder if raising the IO that high a few months ago has done something to my CPU...is that possible? VCCSA is at .924 and the IO is at 1.044 to 1.056. I could try raising them just a bit, but it does seem to make things worst if I go too high. What is the lowest I could try?

Comment

Stock VCCSA is 0.925, VCCIO is dependent on the the BIOS...What you are seeing is the CPU is native to 1333 (which is why mobo advertising, etc shows an (OC) after 1866, 2133, etc that indicates a CPU OC is required to run the sticks at that freq (see my info thread here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

which why so many folks with locked CPUs have trouble w/ high freq sticks...another option if not going to OC the CPU is to drop to acceptable DRAM levels for a stock CPU of 1333 or 1600 - at that (1600) could try running 7-8-7-24/25

Tman

Comment

I only stopped my overclock of my CPU until I get this memory sorted out. I had the CPU overclocked to 4.2 GHz with only a small voltage increase which I'm not so sure I even needed to do. Months ago when I was working out this problem with you the memory seemed to run best at 1866 and I had a hell of a time getting it to work at 2133. If you remember at that time I had 4 (4 x 4) sticks and now I have only the 2 (2 x 8). I thought going to only 2 sticks would help the o/c to 2133, but it did not. I'm OK with that, 1866 is plenty fast enough. If I bump up SA and IO what is the lowest setting I should try? Anything else you think of would be great too.

Comment

Migh even be the vCore is a bit low, especially if on Auto, I know with my K model CPUs and those I have built, you can find a sweet spot and all is well, then out of no where it might crash, I've found I can often cure it by playing with the vCore, i.e. I might be running at 4.4 GHz with a CPU offset of + 0.020 and by raising it 0.010 all is well, or be 4.7 with a + 0.11 and have to jump to 0.13

Tman

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yes, but I wish Biostar would update it again. They have moved onto Z77 MBs so it will probably not happen now.

I bumped up the SA and IO voltages just one voltage step increase. I am running the memory at 1867 with the 2133 timings so we will see if I have any issues at that.

Comment

Keep us updated

Tman

Comment

I found a new program (new to me), CPU-Tweaker 2.0 that gives you the Jedec and XMP settings. For the memory I'm using it shows XMP#2 as 1066 as follows: 9-11-11-31-RFC 278-RRD 6-WR 16-WTR 8-RTP 8. RFC at 278 and WR at 16...my bios settings do not go that high. This could be part of my issue running this ram at 2133. Anyway I am running it at 1867 at 8-10-10-29-WR 14-RFC 242-RRD 5-WTR 8-RTP 8-FAW 26 with 1.6 volts, SA and IO I added just a bit of extra voltage. So far so good. CPU O/C to 4 GHz with no voltage change. I have not Primed it yet, but gaming is good so far.

Comment

That's may well be it, there were a number of BIOSs on different mobos that were locked on a max of 250 (went through it on my P67 Fatal1ty), might contact them and ask for an update since they advertise openly to accomodate 8GB sticks and 2133 DRAM, may get a run around

Tman

Comment

I might try that again. Last time they told me they did not support overclocking and that was it. No other response.

In CPU-Treaker I see I can select 15 and 16 for WR, but in the bios it only goes up to 14. It seems like the settings are there they just did not add the selections in the bios..sob Biostar. Not so sure I will be buying another one of their MBs again.

Wonder if 2133 would work with WR on 14 (max for my MB) and RFC on 255 (max for my MB)? It is not the correct settings, but maybe it would be close enough. What do you think?

Comment

Can give it a try, think I went to tRRD 7, (may also have to go 9 w /tWTR and tRTP) when I played at 250

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X