Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd fx-8350 + f3-2400c10q-16gtx

Hi

I currently have a Asus M5A99X Evo and AMD FX-8350.

I was looking to put in F3-2400C10Q-16GTX, now I was only looking to run it at 2133mhz and I was curious as to what the timings would be at this speed as well as if you could tell me of any potential issues with this setup as I know it says that it's recommended with the i5/i7.

I'm going for the 4x 4GB so I can fill all slots, I love that you can remove the top fin on this memory as my CPU cooling device is massive!

If anyone has any other recommendations for memory rather than this for my setup please say.

Many thanks,
    Martin.

The FX series of CPUs are RATED UP TO 1866 AT 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL or in other words 2 DIMMS total and they were given that rating based on 4GB sticks (see the memory freq guide AMD has buried at their site in the link here:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...encyguide.aspx

- have seen some folks get close to 2133 with a 4x4GB config but very few, and many of those had to use a lot more voltage to DRAM and CPU/NB that I would be comfortable with and/or had to raise timings....If I was going to try an 8350 and wanted 16GB I'd prob go with a 2x8GB set (a little less stress on the MC (Memory Controller) with 2 sticks vs 4) at 2133. Comparitively speaking the AMD CPUs have far weaker MCs that do Intel CPUs. The Tridents in a 2x8GB 2133 set would be a good choice (they are great sticks, am running the 32GB 2400 set on my Z77)
    Last edited by Tradesman; 02-06-2013, 12:45 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ah I see what you mean about the number of DIMMs, didn't realise it would REDUCE the performance.

Well thanks for your excellent advice, I have now ordered the 2x 8GB of TridentX 2400 kit! (Which works better because the 2x8GB kit is cheaper!).

Also for when they arrive what timings do you advise for 2133 and any BIOS features which should be on/off?

Many thanks,
      Martin.

Comment

I'd start with 9-11-11-31 - 2T - and 1.65 or try enabling DOCP/EOCP and see what that sets it to for 2133, may need to add some voltage to the CPU/NB, about + 0.13 or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Just to let you know, all installed running fine at 2133!

Thanks for all of your advice!

Comment

Glad to hear it, Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

For AMD users - a chart

The link below shows the current AMD CPU/APU DIMM frequencies officially supported based on the number of DIMMs and mobo DIMM sockets. Some folks are able to run higher frequencies with 1 or 2 DIMMs but not so much with 4 DIMMs or more than 8GB. of RAM. The chart is for informational purposes as many PC owners do not realize that the RAM advertised frequency may be substantially above what an Intel or AMD CPU/APU actually supports. <YMMV in regards to actual RAM frequency that runs stable on your hardware>

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...spx#controller

Comment

Yes, that's the same page I use as an example, found it last July or so. What would be nice is if they provided a link to the individual CPUs within each line, or add that the testing was done w/ 4GB sticks, 8GB sticks cut's the success rate even more as the listed specs are shown as the Max the CPU lines will carry. To comfortably rn the 1866 and above you need the upper tier model in say the FX line (i.e. 8150/8350). Also of note is this page adds some additional background info opposed to the chart AMD folks most often point people to:

http://support.amd.com/PublishingIma...mory-table.png

Tman

Comment

The only APUs/CPUs that AMD advertises as officially supporting 1866 MHz. - which is in their product descriptions, is the FX based APU/CPUs. Prior models like Deneb and Thuban officially support 1333 MHz. but Deneb's would often run 1600 MHz. and Thubans 1800 MHz.

Until the recent price crash on DDR3 RAM, few people used more than 2 DIMMs or 4 GB. system capacity, so it's not unreasonable for AMD to list their official supported RAM as such.

Comment

As has been pointed out previously - The FX FAMILY of CPUs 'officially' support up to 1 DIMM per channel of 1866 - which, as in all families doesn't mean all the FX CPUs are capable of this. Also among enthusiast/ business and power users 9GB as a starting point has been around for a couple years or so, which is an eternity in PC world....16GB is rapidly becoming a starting point, in part to lower prices but also because people are becoming more informed in what they can do with DRAM

Tman

Comment

gp63tb

No disrespect Tradesman but I ain't buying into the 9 GB. as a starting point for anything other than PCs that have the appropriate Biz software to actually take advantage of more than 8 GB. I build professional Biz systems and few of them go out the door with more than 8 GB. Those who I know in the industry also rarely install more than 8 GB. for work stations or "power users". It's very easy to observe the amount of RAM actually being used and changes in application performance with more RAM.

I understand that this is the G.Skill website so rather than debate the advantages or lack there of, of more than 4GB.-8GB. of RAM for a typical disktop application, I suggest folks run their own tests with real apps and/or check out independent system performance tests on RAM quantity verses performance conducted by Tom's, Anandtech and other reputable websites. Even Corsair admits that 8 GB. is sufficient for most enthusiasts... and they too are in the Biz of sell RAM.

We can certainly agree to disagree on what quantity of RAM is prudent/useful on a typical desktop PC, without any hard feelings. One accurate scientific test is better than debating what is already known and has been proven by many people. All 32-bit operating systems can't use more than ~ 4 GB. of RAM and even some 64-bit Windoze versions can't use more than 8 GB. of RAM. More RAM simply is not better in many situations and certainly not cost effective even at the current low prices. That said nothing is stopping people from buying whatever makes them happy. An educated consumer can make informed purchasing decisions.

Comment

Might want to take a look at the markets, Windows 32bit sales are fairly flat, 64 has been dominating for awhile now, saw an articles a short while ago on sales through Best Buy of their 50 best selling computer towers about 20% were 4GB or less about 60% are 6-8 GB systems and the other 20% are 10-16GB models...and these are off the shelf towers..primarily home buyers (and don't forget all the add-ons they push like extra DRAM which they will gladly install at $50 a pop) and just shy of 50% of the best selling laptops have 6-8GB (think it was 24 (maybe 23) of the top 50 best sellers.

A couple years ago the norm was 1-4GB and 32bit Win, but those days are long gone.

Tman

Comment

Corsair?

I'm with T, Corsair has a nice page where they list the Top 10 selling motherboards and Corsairs suggested picks for RAM to put with them. The minimum on all the boards is 8gb and many have suggestions for 16gb or 32gb.

http://www.corsair.com/us/learn_n_explore/

Comment

Got a couple of PMs I checked out and Target offers 14 desktops 12 are 8GB, 1 6GB, and 1 4GB - and again these are family type systems.

Also of interest, another chimed in that at the Egg in DDR3 among the top 5 companies listing DRAM about 70% of the offered sticks/packages are 8GB or larger.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X