Suggest an 8GB dual channel kit for AM3 setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest an 8GB dual channel kit for AM3 setup

Hi, guys, it's been a while since I've posted here. I have a Phenom II X6 1090T and a Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 (rev 2.0) and don't plan on upgrading it any time soon since all I really use this machine for is gaming. I have a 4GB set of G.Skill Flares that I got when they first came out and they've been awesome for me. 2000MHz 7-9-7-24-1T no problem. Now I want an 8GB kit since games like Battlefield 3 and Metro 2033 are RAM hogs.

Problem is most of the performance kits on the market these days are geared toward systems with CPU's that have stronger IMC's (Ivy Bridge and Piledriver). I bought a set of sticks with Samsung HYK0 IC's and they performed like crap with my system. I returned those and bought a more expensive set of Avexir CORE Series sticks that I suspect are Hynix CFR IC's -- I can't get those to run at stock settings no matter what settings I change in the BIOS. Seems like the best option for me is the 8GB kit of Flares rated at 2000MHz 8-9-8-24-2T, but those were discontinued ages ago.

So, what's left? Any G.Skill offerings currently on the market that I can try? I'd rather not turn to fleabay if I don't have to. I'm aiming for 2000MHz CAS 9. Anything tighter than that is just icing on the cake.

2000 has sort of gone by the wayside, but in that range and looking for performance in a 2x4GB set, I'd suggest the 2133/CL9 Snipers (F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR), while you may not be able to hit the full 2133, think you can prob run 2000 and maybe even with a semi loose CL8. Another possible along the same lines (2133/9) would be the Ripjaws X set (F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM)....Think the chances of 2000/CL8 or even pushing the 2133/9 are better with the Snipers though

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you happen to know the IC's used on those sticks? I only ask because the rated timings and frequencies for RAM means very little to me now. The Flares with PSC IC's that I have were rated for 1800MHz 9-9-9-24, but easily did 2000MHz 7-9-7-24 because G.Skill randomly binned their sticks (at least back then they did).

On the flip side, the Avexir Core Series kit I had was rated for 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-2T and I couldn't get anywhere close to that on my setup, so yeah, I guess I need to know more than just rated timings and frequencies in order to justify my purchases now . What I'm really looking for is info on whether certain 8GB kits are compatible with a Thuban IMC and capable of being clocked at 2000MHz CAS 9 at least.

Still, I appreciate the recommendations. Thanks.
      Last edited by design; 02-03-2013, 02:31 PM.

Comment

DOn't think GSkill passes along the actual chips used in any particular sets

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

That's what I figured, and from what I've seen on sites like XtremeSystems and Overclock.net, G.Skill doesn't even stick to the same type of IC's for each kit. The 2400MHz CAS 9 Trident X kits have been known to have Samsung HYK0, HCH9, Hynix CFR, and Hynix MFR IC's. Somewhat frustrating to overclockers .

I guess in the grand scheme of things, though, it doesn't really matter these days as current generation CPU's have very strong IMC's and can run anything very well.

I guess I'll have to change my question then. Are there any 8GB G.Skill kits currently on the market guaranteed to run at their rated timings and frequencies with a Thuban CPU like the Flares were? I've already taken a couple shots in the dark with 2 sets of memory and came up short both times. I just want something that works now. Thanks.
          Last edited by design; 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Of the sets available, as far as AMD goes I've had the best luck going w/ Snipers - don't think GSkill guarantees any particular sets

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X