Asus p9x79 + f3-2400c10q-16gzh + 3930k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus p9x79 + f3-2400c10q-16gzh + 3930k

I'm running an ASUS P9X79 Deluxe with the current 3203 bios, a 3930K processor and Ripjawz F3-2400C10Q-16GZH RAM using the XMP #2 profile and with windows 7 64-bit.

It's generally stable. Nonetheless I've been getting BSODs (memory_manager) primarily after longer uptimes and when waking up from sleep mode. In these cases the BSODs also tend to repeat after the reboots until I shut the machine down and cold boot it.

Here's my current profile based on what I've read here in the forums - OK, based on what Tradesman has posted. : )

CPU: Manually oc'ed to 4 GHz (100 x 40)
    CPU Vcore (auto - offset): 1.340 V
    DRAM: 1.665 V (upped it a wee bit)
    VCCSA: 1.250 V
    VTTCPU: 1.16250

The bios has mysteriously decided to set

vccsa load-line calibration
    cpu power phase control
    DRRAM power phase control

to extreme

DRAM current capabability and cpu current capability are both regular.

Tradesman, would you recommend tweaking any of these settings?

I'm more interested in a stable, fast system and preferably thermally efficient system than reaching vast heights of overclocking greatness.

(PS: Running the ram at 2133, i.e. not on the xmp profile, causes all sorts of unhappiness and boot failure).

Try VTTCPU 1.184 to 1.2 (in that range) would also raise OC to 4.2 (with the CPU running a little faster it should smooth things out for the MC (memory controller) which is a part of the CPU, the MC may be struggling a bit at the 4GHz setting (i.e. working harder to mange 2400 sticks with CPU itself at a slower setting)....if stable at the 4.2 or better settings and the above voltages, can prob drop the VCCSA and VTT a bit at a time from there

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Wow - so running no oc @ 3200 or standard turbo settings @ 3800 were actually too slow for RAM @ 2400 due to the fact that the memory controller can't keep up?

This would mean that if I were to revert to the non-OC core frequency, I'd have to downclock the RAM to something like 1600 or 1833, right?

On a side note: One of my overclocking experiments using the default turbo settings resulted in doubled voltages being reported i.e. 24 V and 10 V instead of 12 and 5 plus vcore exceeding 2 V. I hope that this was simply a reporting error and not a case of the bios trying to start its own private BBQ.

Thanks for the rapid response!!

Comment

No problem and yes on the OC, that's why when you look at a mobo specs, under DRAM compatibility it might show 1066, 1333, 1600, 1866 (OC), 2133 (OC), 2400 (OC)...etc, many people think that means the Memory is OVERCLOCKED, when it actually means the CPU needs an OC to run the particular set of sticks at it's rated freq, just one of the many faults i see in mobo advertising, there's plenty more they don't explain, might take a look at the Info thread below I wrote awhile back:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

There's also some other info threads I've put up you might find interesting

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks again. I read your QVL post a while back and it simplified my life immensely by giving me an idea of which RAM to buy.

The only piece of the puzzle that I seem to have been missing was the necessary CPU oc to run ram at 2133 and 2400.

I made exactly the mistake that you mentioned: I thought 2400 (oc) applied to the ram only.

Because most people automatically overclock the cpu when tinkering with the ram, this little fact tend to be forgotten.

I also found an excellent in-depth description of overclocking and necessary overclocking settings for ASUS mobos. Unfortunately, I can't find the damned link because I reinstalled windows again.

Between your help and Sean Webster's threads on installing windows 7, raid/ahci and the right driver for my Samsung 830 ssd over at overclock.net, my new computer now rocks and is almost completely silent.

Comment

For the OC guide, take a look here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10512

Might be the same one you are thinking of

Tman

Comment

That's it! Thx!

You da man.

Comment

Thanx, have fun, and any questions, give a shout

Tman

Comment

Interesting: Every time I reboot ASUS drops the CPU multiplier from 42 back to 40.

It was running at 1.320 / offset.

Perhaps I need to up the voltage.

Comment

Sounds like it....might try about 1.360 or just go to a static voltage rather than the offset

Tman

Comment

Here is some slightly off-topic strangeness for you: Firefox 17 appears to cause BSOD when used intensively (lots of windows open, parallel downloads).

Firefox crashes once, then crashes immediately upon being launched every time afterward.
                      As soon as I see this I know that a BSOD is not far away.

In contrast, I've just spent the evening working with chrome, millions of windows open, hordes of parallel downloads. Not a squeak.

Comment

Yeah they have some bugs in Firefox 17, might check that you have the latest version (of 17) or check the latest FF Beta, think currently it's 18.0b7. Can check it here through CNET:

http://download.cnet.com/Mozilla-Fir...700&s_cid=t700

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X