Ripjaws X series v.s. Z series on P9X79 MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripjaws X series v.s. Z series on P9X79 MB

I just purchased 8Gx4 GSKIL F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL from Newegg and realized an error with my order.
    I want to understand any possible problems if any installing on a new Asus P9X79 mb.

I am very happy with a similar system I built last year using two 8Gx4 GSKIL F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL (64GB) on an Asus P9X79 deluxe. (intel 3930K)
    My deluxe system is my primary work station and programs like After Effects use as much memory possible so 64GB is used often.

This second build will be a render box and might not utilize the full 64GB in practice so for now I ordered one 32GB kit.

BTW: no problems from the first build installing 8 sticks and original BIOS or after upgrade to 0802. (Is this due to the design of the Z series?)
    I am using a Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler on both systems so RAM stick height is an issue.
    Over clocking takes a back seat to dependable reliability unless in the future I find it to be of advantage.

Q1. What is the technical difference between the two?
    Q2. If I decide to buy another 32GB kit, what should I do to ensure compatibility?

At this stage, I haven't opened the package and hope to exchange for the Z series if need be, however, would have no problem keeping this kit if the difference between the two will not impact me worse then the hustle of exchange. From what I gather off other posting, a couple of BIOS settings is all I might have to do and I'm fine with that.

The Z series is finer tuned to the X79 patform than the X series which was designed more towards 2nd Gen CPUs and the socket 1155 mobos - in my experience both pretty much work equally well on either platform. Adding a second set can be problematic but is usually more of a problem with higher freq sets of sticks...so whether with the X's or the Z' there's a possibility of getting a second set that won't want to play with the original set. As far as performance goes doubt if you would find any appreciable difference except in BM's (if even there)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your professional response. I think I'll go with what works and see about an exchange. I guess I was looking for an excuse to learn more about the subject or some reason
      to avoid RMA/shipping process.

dlang

Comment

Don't blame you on avoiding RMA/Exchange, the Egg's pretty good though, and as far as learning more, it's a continual process, I've been doing systems and hardware for over 30 years now and learn something new about every day

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X