Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI X58A-GD45 mobo

I am looking to upgrade my RAM.
    I have a MSI X58A-GD45 motherboard with a i7 960 @ 3.2GHz. I am currently running 6 GB of 1600 RAM, I do believe it is Kingston. A NVIDIA GTX 560 ti GPU. My question is what is the recommended G.SKILL RAM for this mobo? I am not an experienced rig builder, so I am sort of lost on what type of RAM to use. I would like to drop about 8 (or more) GB of RAM into this system for gaming. Do I even need more RAM for gaming? I am currently playing GuildWars2 and Beta testing FireFall. I am only using about 60% of my RAM, according to the WIN7 CPU gadget, when playing these games... Not sure that is all that reliable. LOL

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nalitis

Generally 4-6 is plenty sufficient for about any game out there...A word of caution, mixing sets can be problematic..you might get them to play together and might not, especially with different models and makes - even with same exact model can be a chore and still might not work together. Think I'd suggest a straight 12GB set like the Snipers = F3-10666CL7T-12GBRH, it's a 1600 set with a nice tight CL7, there are some others here in 12GB sets

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...3%20x%204GB%29

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Would there be a benefit in going up on the RAM speed? What is the max you would suggest? I think the mobo would take up to 2133... Would it make that much of a difference?
      BTW: Thanks for the speedy reply.
      Last edited by Nalitis; 12-30-2012, 08:51 PM. Reason: I found the specs. :)

Comment

I generally recommend going with the fastest and most your budget allows,that way you add some longevity if you upgrade mobos/CPUs/etc. With your combo I'd give thought to 1866 or possibly 2133

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231615
          Is what I am looking at.
          I am in a $120 budget for this upgrade. How would you do it with the info I have given?

What is the difference between the Sniper and RipjawZ RAM? The specs look identical...
          Is it better to put in 4GB (1x4GB) stick or a 8GB (1x8GB) stick? I am thinking this is done for mobo's with limited slots, but I got 6 slots for RAM on my mobo.
          Sorry for the noob questions, I am just wanting to be safe in my purchase.
          Last edited by Nalitis; 01-02-2013, 09:31 AM.

Comment

To fully utilize the mobo's abilities, you'll want 3 or more sticks so you can use the triple channel ability, 1 stick will run in single channel *64 bit) two sticks in dual channel 128 bit or 3 or more run in triple channel which is the mobos max (yes, even though it has 6 slots), so I'd suggest looking for a 3 or 4 stick set of 2 or 4GB, ideally maybe a 3x4GB which will give you 12GB (prob more than you currently need but will future proof you to a degree, also 3 sticks is less stress on the MC (Memory Controller) than 4 or more sticks.

Tman

Comment

Thank you for the info. That helps me out a lot.
              Also, I think I edited while you were replying. lol

Comment

With your budget I'd go 12GB Snipers 1600/CL9 F3-12800CL9T-12GBSR for $70 (can be seen/found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231464

then maybe invest the rest ($50) into an SSD for the OS to really speed things up (if you aren't already running an SSD, the Egg has the Plextor 64GB - M5S Series PX-64M5S - which is a nice little drive at $50

Tman

Comment

Tradesman, thanks for the info and the advice. I am not currently running an SSD, and have been thinking about looking into one.

I have decided to go with the 12GB Sniper over the Ripjaws. Maybe look into OC... Who knows.

The Plextor SSD drive is currently out of stock on newegg. lol

I am sure I'll have more questions for you in the future.

Thanks again!

Comment

No problem - that out of stock may have been me, just ordered 6 for a client for some of his office systems for upgrades, that's how I knew the price on it

Tman

Comment

G.SKILL Phoenix III FM-25S3-120GBP3 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal 7mm Solid State Drive (SSD)
                      I am looking at one of these and scrubbing the RAM upgrade for now. 6GB (3x2GB) Corsiar 1600 RAM is what I am running now... I know the SSD will make the biggest impact. Now see what you have done? LOL

Thanks again!!

Comment

Trust me, I could drive you crazy, that's a very good drive, I've used a number of them on builds (if you really want even faster, take a pair of them and put them into RAID 0)

Tman

Comment

You are opening yourself up for many, many more questions. lol

Comment

I'm in and out every day, prob early AM Thur, then not till mid-late afternoon.....

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X